Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grade Inflation in Uber..

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
At least in some cities, Uber helps with the purchase of a new car, perhaps by giving the car loan.
"helps" is a very loose term here.

One of many stories about subprime lending, and taking advantage of drivers who do take out a loan from Uber...
Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Back to "Grades," a few days ago in HNL, I had a driver try and cut around other traffic, only to find himself in a lane that forced us to go in the wrong direction (right turn only with no escape), only to have to turn around to get back on track. I gave him a very generous 3 stars with an immediate "what was wrong" (or similar) space to complete.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:40 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Miami305
I contacted the police department. They said: "Did he let you out of the car? If yes, then what is the issue?" The willingness of the local police to serve leaves something to be desired.

I also left feedback with Uber describing the situation. Take a wild guess what Uber did. I'll give you a hint: it rhymes with nothing.
I'll bet a Tweet with the words "refused to terminate" & "kidnapped" and "police" would get you some immediate attention.

I've been amazed at how fast lots of airlines/hotels respond via Twitter when they haven't bothered to respond via the more usual channels.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: Centurion
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
At least in some cities, Uber helps with the purchase of a new car, perhaps by giving the car loan.

http://uber.flexdrive.com/

u call a $800-900$ a MONTH prius loan? "helping" someone?

a normal prius loan is from $199 month lease, ($300-$400 purchase per mo).

now do you guys see why the uber drivers beg for tips, and 5 stars.

uber corporate , abuse those poor drivers.
and at 10cents per min, thats only $6 and hour wait time.
even at 16cents per min, thats only $9hour..

then take away 20% commissions back to uber.
plus deduct $1 safe ride fee to uber also.

Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: ABBA
My problem with "5 stars for everyone" was exemplified today. This morning had a great driver, got out and opened the trunk, and checked air con and radio were fine.

This evening the driver was ok, he missed a turn, added about 2 minutes to the trip, nothing major - not like the last taxi I got, but not a patch on this mornings.

How can I give this morning's guy the same rating as this evening's? Like giving the whole class an 'A' grade.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by paulwuk
My problem with "5 stars for everyone" was exemplified today. This morning had a great driver, got out and opened the trunk, and checked air con and radio were fine.

This evening the driver was ok, he missed a turn, added about 2 minutes to the trip, nothing major - not like the last taxi I got, but not a patch on this mornings.

How can I give this morning's guy the same rating as this evening's? Like giving the whole class an 'A' grade.
Isn't there a comment space? For a superior ride, I'd add a nice quick note.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 5:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Isn't there a comment space? For a superior ride, I'd add a nice quick note.
That doesn't address the issue though: there is a quantifiable difference between different drivers. If you rate everyone a 5, how is the next rider supposed to know which driver went above and beyond, and which driver was mediocre?
Old Aug 8, 2015, 11:07 am

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
What would you rate a driver who spent most of the ride on the phone on a personal call? I consider this to be unsafe (and it is a pet peeve with taxis);the ride was otherwise fine and the vehicle was immaculate so I can't decide whether to only dock 1 star (give him 4*) or 2.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 8:51 pm

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by pbjag
What would you rate a driver who spent most of the ride on the phone on a personal call? I consider this to be unsafe (and it is a pet peeve with taxis);the ride was otherwise fine and the vehicle was immaculate so I can't decide whether to only dock 1 star (give him 4*) or 2.
Was it hands free? Why not 3*?
Old Aug 22, 2015, 4:38 am

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by paulwuk
Was it hands free? Why not 3*?
No, it was not hands free, he only had one hand on the wheel and his focus was more on the conversation than on traffic. I ended up giving him a 3*.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:02 am

I always give 5 stars and a tip. Since Uber considers 4 a "fail" I feel pressured sometimes to give 5 stars for 3 or 4 star service. I wish Uber set the cutoff to 3.5 stars so that driver ratings are more accurate. I have only given one 1 star rating, and that was because the car smelled of cigarette smoke and was dirty and the driver was also on the phone.
4 stars = vote to fire the driver
If all the good drivers are fired, who will be left to drive me around
Old Oct 13, 2015, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by timtim2008
http://uber.flexdrive.com/

u call a $800-900$ a MONTH prius loan? "helping" someone?

a normal prius loan is from $199 month lease, ($300-$400 purchase per mo).

now do you guys see why the uber drivers beg for tips, and 5 stars.
Do normal Prius leases include the kind of mileage that a full-time driver is going to be putting on a car, insurance, maintenance, and the ability to terminate the lease at any time with a few weeks' notice?
Old Jun 17, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
I think it is wrong for Uber to consider anything under a 5 to be a fail.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by nd2010
I always give 5 stars and a tip. Since Uber considers 4 a "fail" I feel pressured sometimes to give 5 stars for 3 or 4 star service. I wish Uber set the cutoff to 3.5 stars so that driver ratings are more accurate. I have only given one 1 star rating, and that was because the car smelled of cigarette smoke and was dirty and the driver was also on the phone.
4 stars = vote to fire the driver
If all the good drivers are fired, who will be left to drive me around
You're doing a disservice to everyone else (remember there are more riders than drivers) by giving a 3* driver a 5* rating. If 4* is the threshold at which a driver is disallowed, then it's on the driver to provide a 4* or better service. And despite what some of the bleeding hearts here might say, you have zero obligation to put food on someone else's table... They have to earn that, just like the rest of us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.