Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Ride Services, including Uber and Lyft
Reload this Page >

Which cities ban Uber and fine both driver and passenger?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2015, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Last edited by AppleApe; Jun 17, 2015 at 6:48 pm
Old Jun 17, 2015, 5:56 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Here's a map Business Insider did earlier this year:

Old Jun 17, 2015, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Find both driver and passenger?

Do you mean fine?
Old Jun 17, 2015, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Find both driver and passenger?

Do you mean fine?
Sorry, stupid Samsung auto-correct.... I meant cities that impose FINES for both Uber driver and passenger. (one for operating unlicensed car service and the other one for using the said service)

I only know one city(territory) and was wondering if there are others. (kind of like jurisdictions that press felony(or misdemeanor) charges for both the prostitute and the johns)
Old Jun 19, 2015, 1:25 pm

Philadelphia could be on this list. Uber Black is a legal operation in Philadelphia, however UberX is still illegal by the taxi authority (which is run by the Parking Authority). UberX still runs in Philly and I use it often.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 4:13 pm

I'll tell you that in Cape Town it's running better than ever for consumers despite the ban (always a taxi within 5 mins)...I mean if this country allows war criminals to walk away do you think they can enforce Uber? Either way if caught driver gets car impounded and no fine for passenger.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:08 am

Which city is that who fines the passenger as well? I've never heard of that being enforced anywhere, besides a few scares of it maybe happening in Canadian cities, though to my knowledge was just an empty threat.

Here in Philly I don't think it's much different than the common story. UberX and Lyft are not licensed to operate and there's been a few sting operations but they all still operate. I would imagine since Uber pays for any fines it's driver's gets for working with them they would for the customer too, if that ever happened.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 3:20 pm

Seoul is up and running legally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.