Old Apr 24, 2016, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Uber recently added functionality to tip in-app after rides are completed.

Your driver will appreciate it.

I'm sure they would -- but what percentage of people (outside of NYC where everyone bribes, uh, tips, for everything) are doing it?
Print Wikipost

Tipping Uber drivers

Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, CBP Global Entry, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Miami305
Goodbye Uber?

What will you replace Uber with?
They have lost their value prop - which was simplicity and transparency.

Not saying I'll never use them again but they used to be my primary ride. Now they are not.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 10:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've been Lyft-first for a while now, so on the surface Uber's change doesn't affect me too much.

But I wonder if it'll affect the availability mix between Lyft and Uber. People who drive for both have told me they prefer to accept Lyfts first, presumably in part because of the tipping. When tipping is permitted in both systems, I wonder if I'll lose a little "Lyft edge" with those drivers.

It may not be a huge deal...in most cities, both Lyfts and Ubers are always close by. But 3 months from now, I wonder if that will remain true.

Lyft's base rates are lower, suggesting that Lyft drivers make a *little* less on the base, but find it worth it to get a full tip on top of that.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
Originally Posted by pinniped
...Lyft's base rates are lower, suggesting that Lyft drivers make a *little* less on the base, but find it worth it to get a full tip on top of that.
Not sure if this is still true - about a year ago drivers said that Lyft's commission was less than Uber so would it be a fair assumption that the net amount to the driver (sans tip) is essentially the same (Lyft = smaller commision, Uber = larger commission)?

Just as important - more Lyft drivers commented that Lyft were more responsive to driver questions than Uber whenever they called or emailed in.

My personal $0.02 / observation both as a Lyft and Uber pax (currently with a 4.86 Uber pax rating averaged over 200 rides)
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lainys
Not sure if this is still true - about a year ago drivers said that Lyft's commission was less than Uber so would it be a fair assumption that the net amount to the driver (sans tip) is essentially the same (Lyft = smaller commision, Uber = larger commission)?
In that case, I'm surprised Lyft isn't completely killing Uber on the driver side.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
Originally Posted by pinniped
In that case, I'm surprised Lyft isn't completely killing Uber on the driver side.
Uber is global and in many more US cities domestically than Lyft hence it's a limitation of market presence depending on the city. Since most drivers have told me they prefer Lyft so I do my best to log into Lyft first however there are times that I just default to Uber out of convenience simply because, as a user, I need to get to/from the airport quickly and forget where I am (whether Lyft is an option or not).
Old Jun 23, 2017, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by lainys
Uber is global and in many more US cities domestically than Lyft hence it's a limitation of market presence depending on the city. Since most drivers have told me they prefer Lyft so I do my best to log into Lyft first however there are times that I just default to Uber out of convenience simply because, as a user, I need to get to/from the airport quickly and forget where I am (whether Lyft is an option or not).
Uber has also metastasized into many apps and ecosystems I was never a fan of seeing uber in google maps or UA's app
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:51 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Does anyone tip using Uber app?

So.. Uber.. Now available in app does anyone tip? Do the drivers actually get all this as opposed to about
1/3-1/2 actual fare?

I’ve been doing about 10% since it was introduced but I don’t Uber that often. Mainly $10 to the train or $60 ish to airport.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jc94
So.. Uber.. Now available in app does anyone tip? Do the drivers actually get all this as opposed to about
1/3-1/2 actual fare?

I’ve been doing about 10% since it was introduced but I don’t Uber that often. Mainly $10 to the train or $60 ish to airport.
Yeah, I read some disgruntled drivers on Reddit talking about tips.

I always top at least a dollar (bearing in mind my typical trip is under $10) unless there was a service issue.

I managed to get $600 of Uber gift cards for $400 recently, so I'm Ubering on the cheap.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Posts have been relocated from Air Canada forum for further discussion.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Old Jul 13, 2018, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yes, same as I would for a taxi. Roughly 15%. If it's a route with which I'm familiar and the rate is high due to "surge pricing" I tip based on the approximate non-surge fare because the surge is the premium to get the driver out in the first place.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
As a driver, I'd say I receive a tip on about 20% of my rides. Of those that tip, most are via the app (vs cash).
The way Uber presents it to us, indicates we are getting the full tip amount ... if they say you tipped $3, then $3 is added to my pay statement.
I hate saying it, but I don't trust the company. There isn't any way for me to know the amount you physically tipped. Having said that, I don't feel Uber is cheating drivers out of tip money. Yet. And I prefer the in-app tips ... anonymous and no dealing with change. I think most drivers would disagree with me. It does surprise me that Uber doesn't try to re-coup their credit card fee on the increased amount.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 11:46 am
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Originally Posted by steve64
It does surprise me that Uber doesn't try to re-coup their credit card fee on the increased amount.
I vaguely remember reading somewhere that some states have laws which may not allow the deduction of processing fees from tips - Uber may have just chosen to apply that policy nationwide. An example of this kind of law is California Labor Code § 351, but I do not know if that would apply only to restaurant workers or to all tipped positions.

Given Uber's scale though, I also wouldn't be surprised if they negotiated down the processing fees on the tips down to a level where could absorb it.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I usually tip depending on the value proposition for the ride. If I take a pool ride and I'm alone, I'll tip a bit more. Last month I took a pool ride that was $7.50 for a one-mile ride and as far as I could tell didn't take the driver out of his way, so I didn't tip.

I stopped driving before Uber allowed tips on the app. Travis once swore that Uber would allow tipping over his dead body; it was part of their "Let's be a kinder gentler Uber" campaign.

I do remember once though that I gave someone a $7 ride and they leaned forward from the back seat and put money on the front passenger seat. When I got to where I could see (it was night) I noticed it was 2 $1 bills and a $20. I assumed the pax meant to tip me $3. I knew their address so I wrote to them and sent them a check for $19, telling them they could make it out to themselves, or to charity, or tear it up. It wasn't 100% altruism. I didn't want the guy swearing to himself that he'll never ever tip again. (He wrote back and returned the check, but thanked me.)
Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:53 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
If my ride is $12 and i tip $3. Will Uber charge my credit card one time transaction of $15 or two transaction of $12 and $3?
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by RedElmo
If my ride is $12 and i tip $3. Will Uber charge my credit card one time transaction of $15 or two transaction of $12 and $3?
IME Uber has always split the charge into separate transactions.

Lyft, on the other hand, makes a single transaction if you add a tip within 24 hours.
ContinentalFan likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.