Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 24, 2016, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Uber recently added functionality to tip in-app after rides are completed.

Your driver will appreciate it.

I'm sure they would -- but what percentage of people (outside of NYC where everyone bribes, uh, tips, for everything) are doing it?
Print Wikipost

Tipping Uber drivers

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2016, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by rny321
If someone had asked me a month ago what mix or car companies I planned to use, I would said Uber most of the time and car services when I didn't want to take a chance on availability or surge pricing. Going forward, I will utilize a car service for trips to local airports, Lyft when available and Uber internationally and when other services aren't convenient in the US.

A few years ago many cabs had minimal competition and didn't need to care about the quality of their service. Once Uber started and cab companies realized that the threat was going to remain, the quality of service improved considerably. I still prefer Uber, but the difference in quality isn't as dramatic because taxi service has improved and experienced Uber drivers prefer to work the surge and not base rates. I have noticed a tendency for Uber driver's justifiable unhappiness to be reflected in their attitudes towards passengers. Although a tip at the end of the ride will make a driver happy as one exits the car, the driver may not have been in a good mood until then.

In some cities, it is difficult to justify driving for Uber without tips and I understand the driver's frustration. On the other hand, in NYC prices are just as high as those of cabs that need a special vehicle with handicap access and a medallion currently valued at roughtly $700,000 but that apparently hasn't stopped stop some NYC drivers from complaining.

I prefer the original Uber model where the price was supposed to inclusive. Although I wouldn't mind if prices were adjusted to incorporate a tip, I don't want to pay tips in cash. When I travel internationally, I don't always exchange money at the airport and when on a business trip I don't want to track additional tips in a foreign currency. Although Uber is more expensive than a taxi when going from the airport in Bangkok to city hotels, I prefer the cashless model of Uber.

If tipping is going to be part of Uber, I hope the company will allow riders to use preset tip amounts for all of their services in the future. Although I like Uber, I will utilize Lyft instead of Uber whenever possible because tips can be handled in the app after I know how the amount of my fare.
I wish more passengers felt as you do and would start talking an alternative to uber in the States like a car service or Lyft. That's the only way uber will change is watching their customers move to Lyft or another service.
Old May 22, 2016, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Interesting reading the comments from the NY Times readers vs the comments on this forum. It goes to show how cheap many of the users here are. It was refreshing to read passenger comments who support tipping uber drivers.
Old May 22, 2016, 4:25 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by pinniped
One could reasonably ask the question: did Uber really change? Is there really this new expectation among most drivers? Is this overblown on the Internet? I don't know, but the posts on that Uber forum make me a lot less likely to use Uber.
No - Uber didn't change. Just a lot of hot air on the interwebs. I'm sure 99% of Uber riders are oblivious to this little storm in a teacup, and life goes on just as before.
Old May 22, 2016, 5:11 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by denFAC
Interesting reading the comments from the NY Times readers vs the comments on this forum. It goes to show how cheap many of the users here are. It was refreshing to read passenger comments who support tipping uber drivers.
How about that for a recollection bias! I briefly skimmed the comments and saw commenters mention this would make them less likely to ride Uber, and another say Uber created this issue and it's ridiculous for drivers to try and punish riders!
Old May 22, 2016, 7:32 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Miami305
How about that for a recollection bias! I briefly skimmed the comments and saw commenters mention this would make them less likely to ride Uber, and another say Uber created this issue and it's ridiculous for drivers to try and punish riders!
Shhhhhhh... You're not helping her paint all FTers with the same "cheap" brush
Old May 22, 2016, 10:04 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Some clean-up of the thread has been instituted. Reminder that ad hominem commentary is not acceptable on Flyertalk. Discuss the premise, not the writer.
Old May 22, 2016, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
I'm a bit late here but the option to tip in app is the only thing I like about Lyft.

I generally do tip about $5, but I have no problem with those who don't.

If I got a ride with a sign about tipping, or the driver brought up the tipping/pay subject unprovoked, then it's automatic no tip, one star, and message to Uber.
I wish more passengers felt as you do and would start talking an alternative to uber in the States like a car service or Lyft. That's the only way uber will change is watching their customers move to Lyft or another service.
Unfortunately my Lyft experience has not been good, so there's no good alternative to Uber right now. My last three Lyft trips:

-Driver longhauled me because he thought I was from out of town, and never went below 85mph (misdemeanor in AZ)

-Driver weaved through rush hour traffic instead of going with the flow (traffic was heavy but moving)

-Driver changed lanes on the freeway into a motorcycle, causing the motorcycle rider to swerve into the center divider (no crash luckily)

Compare that to me never having a single issue ever with any of my Uber drivers, plus Uber being more readily available in my area means Uber is the best choice for me.

Last edited by Lost; May 22, 2016 at 2:49 pm
Old May 23, 2016, 7:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Slugger978
If you wish to exploit the drivers as does the company [Uber] does be a miser.
How exactly is anyone "exploiting" the driver?

Tip was never included although Uber makes it appear so.
No, Uber never made it appear that a tip was included. Their intent all along was that the model exist entirely without the side-bribes. It was pretty clear to me all along: tip is not included, and supply and demand is regulated by the surge pricing.

Rates in my market are 37% less than a year ago and Pool is terrible, for drivers and pax.
So log out. Drive for Lyft or do something else with your time. If enough drivers log out, then Uber will find itself at surge pricing all the time. So much so that they might find it in their interest from a marketing perspective to simply raise the base rates in your market (since apparently a lot of riders don't understand or like surge pricing).
Old May 24, 2016, 8:31 am

How exactly is anyone "exploiting" the driver?

No, Uber never made it appear that a tip was included. Their intent all along was that the model exist entirely without the side-bribes. It was pretty clear to me all along: tip is not included, and supply and demand is regulated by the surge pricing.

So log out. Drive for Lyft or do something else with your time. If enough drivers log out, then Uber will find itself at surge pricing all the time. So much so that they might find it in their interest from a marketing perspective to simply raise the base rates in your market (since apparently a lot of riders don't understand or like surge pricing).
Just not true, Pinniped. Uber, until about two years ago, stated clearly on their website that Tip is Included. Many riders - myself included - assumed that when signing up on the rider app and it asks you to set the tip threshold (for UberTAXI) that it was for all UBER models.

In my market, Uber trashed the drivers rates by 45% in one fell swoop while increasing their commission and booking fee. They have stated that their goal is to maximize their value: Pay the drivers as little as they are willing to take and charge the rider as much as they are willing to pay.

As a driver, I don't solicit tips. But I must say that posting a sign is hardly "aggressive". Aggressive solicitation is like threatening to keep the doors locked until they cough up a couple bills. Because of the rate cuts and because of the lack of tipping (and because there is no competitor in my market, including Lyft), I drive much less than ever before. I used to leave my app on at home and take that $8 ride to get a guy home from work. But now it's less than $5. Never tipped, but I don't take him home any more. Not worth it. Yeah - $3 aint a big deal in and of itself, but x5 per week, x4 per month, and it's real money.

There is nothing more frustrating than to pick up a nice couple from the airport, open the door for the Mrs., load their bags into my trunk, provide them a safe, courteous, comfortable ride in my smoke free, odor free, mechanically sound car for half the price of a taxi, drop them off at a fancy Marriott, open the car door back up for them, unload their bags, set them on the Bell cart, knowing that the hop will probably get a $5 or $10 bill while they're yelling "Awesome ride! Thanks! 5 Stars for sure!"

It won't be reciprocated.
Old May 24, 2016, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by VentureForth
In my market, Uber trashed the drivers rates by 45% in one fell swoop while increasing their commission and booking fee. They have stated that their goal is to maximize their value: Pay the drivers as little as they are willing to take and charge the rider as much as they are willing to pay.
So how'd it work? Did people stop driving for Uber? Did riders stop requesting rides? Did Uber push things too far? I mean, if Uber breaks their own model, that's bad on them and they'll have to reconsider.

There is nothing more frustrating than to pick up a nice couple from the airport, open the door for the Mrs., load their bags into my trunk, provide them a safe, courteous, comfortable ride in my smoke free, odor free, mechanically sound car for half the price of a taxi, drop them off at a fancy Marriott, open the car door back up for them, unload their bags, set them on the Bell cart, knowing that the hop will probably get a $5 or $10 bill while they're yelling "Awesome ride! Thanks! 5 Stars for sure!"
But you've just described my basic expectations of Uber. Should I have to bribe you to have a smoke-free car?

It won't be reciprocated.
Well, it's good to know that I really do need to hold off on my ratings for an hour or two, do my own rating check in the app, and then rate the driver after that. You'll have to take another rider before I need another Uber, so you'll probably have to rate me first.

I don't see how a side-bribe-for-ratings scheme works out for the drivers in the long run. Especially if more mainstream tech blogs/sites write about it, as they often do about all things Uber.
Old May 24, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Well, it's good to know that I really do need to hold off on my ratings for an hour or two, do my own rating check in the app, and then rate the driver after that. You'll have to take another rider before I need another Uber, so you'll probably have to rate me first.
And that's the ultimate value of this thread for me: I've learnt that I have to adapt my post-ride workflow to make sure I know my own rating before rating a driver. Good job, drivers! You're really showing us
Old May 24, 2016, 10:44 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by ffsim
And that's the ultimate value of this thread for me: I've learnt that I have to adapt my post-ride workflow to make sure I know my own rating before rating a driver. Good job, drivers! You're really showing us
If you save your email receipt, you can use the included link to revise your initial rating of your drivers.
Old May 24, 2016, 6:15 pm

But you've just described my basic expectations of Uber. Should I have to bribe you to have a smoke-free car?
I think the complaint is that others are getting bribes and he isn't. If we cut fares for taxi drivers and remove tips they would complain a lot less.

Just rated another Uber driver 1 star for bringing up tips during the ride. Told him I wasn't going to tip and he rated me low. He was already 4.6 stars so I hope he gets kick off.

I have no problems with over 95% of my drivers. Everyone gets a 5 star from me as long as they don't bring up tipping.

Last edited by htehtrshtsrhstrhrsh; May 24, 2016 at 6:27 pm
Old May 25, 2016, 9:54 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
I don't think it's very cool to join a website that's been around since 1998 just to berate its members.
Old May 26, 2016, 4:44 am

So how'd it work? Did people stop driving for Uber? Did riders stop requesting rides? Did Uber push things too far? I mean, if Uber breaks their own model, that's bad on them and they'll have to reconsider.

Ok. Shame on me for not researching your previous posts before responding. You are obviously anti-side-bribes and there is really nothing I can say. Get out there and drive and if you feel the same, that's you're prerogative. When you go from roughly $18/hr to $10, and still have to pay for all your expenses out of that, you'll do what I did and drive less.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.