Old Apr 24, 2016, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Uber recently added functionality to tip in-app after rides are completed.

Your driver will appreciate it.

I'm sure they would -- but what percentage of people (outside of NYC where everyone bribes, uh, tips, for everything) are doing it?
Print Wikipost

Tipping Uber drivers

Old Apr 30, 2016, 12:02 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by radiowell
Here's an idea. How about Uber allowing tips on the app, but make it anonymous (driver only know who left a tip or not) and the driver only receive a lump sum tip weekly or something? This way, less tension between the drivers and the passengers, in theory.

I know it could sound good in theory but can get awry in practice (a pax can leave 1 cent tip just to improve his/her pax rating), but it is something I thought about. Who knows? Some conscientious/kind pax may leave large tips to balance things out?
Pretty good idea ^

Regardless of whether the tips are anonymous or paid weekly or whatever, there needs to be a tipping mechanism added to the app if tips will become the norm. A system just like Lyft's would be perfect. We can be expected to have local currency for the sole purpose of tipping; it defeats the whole "do everything from the app" experience.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by radiowell
Here's an idea. How about Uber allowing tips on the app, but make it anonymous (driver only know who left a tip or not) and the driver only receive a lump sum tip weekly or something? This way, less tension between the drivers and the passengers, in theory.

I know it could sound good in theory but can get awry in practice (a pax can leave 1 cent tip just to improve his/her pax rating), but it is something I thought about. Who knows? Some conscientious/kind pax may leave large tips to balance things out?
I think that's what Munchery does. Drivers don't know how much each person tipped, or if they tipped at all. This way everyone receives the same level of service.

Most people I know hate tipping. It's not always about the money, but rather the concept of it. I'd rather have Uber raise the price by 20% rather than add a 20% tip. If Uber allows tipping, even if it's in the app, I'll stop using it.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by htehtrshtsrhstrhrsh
Most people I know hate tipping. It's not always about the money, but rather the concept of it. I'd rather have Uber raise the price by 20% rather than add a 20% tip. If Uber allows tipping, even if it's in the app, I'll stop using it.
This.

When it becomes expected with every transaction it's no longer a reward incentive but a way companies offload labor costs to customers.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 4:45 pm

Freakonomics had a nice podcast about tipping a while ago

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/shou...radio-podcast/
Old May 1, 2016, 7:59 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
I would prefer not to see tipping become an expectation. That said, I won't tip unless there's a way to do it from the app. The whole beauty of this thing is not having to deal with cash, and I refuse to return to that. Additionally, it becomes problematic for expense reimbursements when I have a credit card charge that shows the fare, but I'm then trying to explain that there's a separate expense for the tip (which I don't have a receipt for).
Old May 1, 2016, 11:24 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
I won't tip on Uber; why I use it. Next thing I'm suppose to tip my FAs or the bus driver on the way to the rental car center?
Old May 2, 2016, 5:13 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by themicah
UberX (sans Surge) in NYC is now about 20% cheaper than taxis, so you could tip and it would still be comparable.
Not in my experience. They end up being just about the same price.
Old May 2, 2016, 7:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by htehtrshtsrhstrhrsh
Riders can also change the rating as many times as they want. I check my average rating before my trips and if it falls that means an uber driver rated me low. Some guy rated me 2* just because I didn't tip so I rated him 1*. My 4.9 rating as dropped to 4.65 because of all the new drivers expecting a tip.

I don't like drivers who give bad service or expect a tip for doing their job. If they actually provide excellent service that's when I'll tip, but that rarely happens.
+1.

I will definitely be looking at my own rating before and after each ride for a while now. Maybe this will be much ado about nothing in most cities...but if not, I will know quickly.

When you got hit with a 2*, had that driver harassed you about tipping? Or was it like any other Uber ride (where there's no discussion about it) and then out of the blue you got the low rating?
Old May 2, 2016, 8:56 am

Can you even view your rating before you rate your most recent driver? Doesn't the app produce a mandatory give-a-rating popup the next time you open the app?
Old May 2, 2016, 9:21 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by slivrflyr
Can you even view your rating before you rate your most recent driver? Doesn't the app produce a mandatory give-a-rating popup the next time you open the app?
I was able to view mine in the desktop website.

After I did this, I went into my history and noticed two or three rides I hadn't rated. I was able to rate them then. (So clearly there isn't a requirement for a rider to rate before riding again.)

I still haven't been able to find my rating in the phone app.
Old May 2, 2016, 10:14 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by pinniped
I was able to view mine in the desktop website.

After I did this, I went into my history and noticed two or three rides I hadn't rated. I was able to rate them then. (So clearly there isn't a requirement for a rider to rate before riding again.)

I still haven't been able to find my rating in the phone app.
For Android (might be the same for iPhone, I don't know):

1. Tap on three lines icon in top right.
2. Select Help
3. Select Report an Issue: Account
4. Select I'd like to know my rating
5. Tap Submit

The method has changed; updated method (for Android) below:

1. Menu (three lines at upper left)
2. Help
3. Account and Payment Options
4. Changing my account settings
5. I'd like to know my rating

Last edited by cestmoi123; Apr 13, 2017 at 5:44 am Reason: Updated the instructions
Old May 2, 2016, 10:30 am

Great...that works. ^ Thanks!
Old May 2, 2016, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by LPCJr
I would prefer not to see tipping become an expectation. That said, I won't tip unless there's a way to do it from the app. The whole beauty of this thing is not having to deal with cash, and I refuse to return to that. Additionally, it becomes problematic for expense reimbursements when I have a credit card charge that shows the fare, but I'm then trying to explain that there's a separate expense for the tip (which I don't have a receipt for).
You are entitled to your opinion and decisions, but this issue with cash tipping happens in many other places unsolved including valet drivers, curbside check-in, hotel housekeeping, etc. Again, you may decide a tip is not necessary in these areas (because it would require cash and/or there is no receipt). However, I have not met a business expense reimbursement policy that does not allow for tips without receipt (within reason, of course).

The inconvenience of tipping is understood, but I think the reimbursement aspect is a bit of a stretch.

Rasheed
Old May 2, 2016, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by rasheed
You are entitled to your opinion and decisions, but this issue with cash tipping happens in many other places unsolved including valet drivers, curbside check-in, hotel housekeeping, etc. Again, you may decide a tip is not necessary in these areas (because it would require cash and/or there is no receipt). However, I have not met a business expense reimbursement policy that does not allow for tips without receipt (within reason, of course).

The inconvenience of tipping is understood, but I think the reimbursement aspect is a bit of a stretch.

Rasheed
Uber can't solve it there. I'd love to see a hotel boldly step up and say "We're providing all of these services in a no-tipping environment." But Uber was on a track towards solving it for their platform: a no-tip environment.

If this lawsuit has forced them to accept a tipped environment (IANAL, and I don't even know what the legal issue around tips is), then the least they can do is mimic the Lyft app and present it as an option at the end of the ride.
Old May 2, 2016, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
For Android (might be the same for iPhone, I don't know):

1. Tap on three lines icon in top right.
2. Select Help
3. Select Report an Issue: Account
4. Select I'd like to know my rating
5. Tap Submit
Nice.

And I have a 4.96 rating. :-::-::-::-::-: for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.