Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 24, 2016, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Uber recently added functionality to tip in-app after rides are completed.

Your driver will appreciate it.

I'm sure they would -- but what percentage of people (outside of NYC where everyone bribes, uh, tips, for everything) are doing it?
Print Wikipost

Tipping Uber drivers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Just received this email:
At least now they have to tell the riders "tips are not included" instead of misleading everyone with the assumption that tips were included with the fare total.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
At least now they have to tell the riders "tips are not included" instead of misleading everyone with the assumption that tips were included with the fare total.
No one was ever misled. Uber facilitated a marketplace that was never intended to include tips. The laws of supply and demand would automatically handle whether drivers chose to make their cars available to the platform. This is the most fair and transparent way for this marketplace to work: all of the revenue transacts on the platform without this side market away from the view of other drivers, other riders, Uber, and the tax authorities.

I like that Uber has stated today that tips are still not expected. However, are they prepared to police the rating system to ensure it doesn't develop into a tool whereby the rider must effectively bribe the system to get future rides?

I guess I, as a rider, could go on the offensive: if a driver posts a sign about tips or otherwise gives me hassle for one, I give a low rating. Still, I'd rather not have to do that...the current system was working.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 1:51 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by pinniped
the current system was working.
Apparently not for the drivers.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gglave
Apparently not for the drivers.
If I was a driver, and Uber wasn't working for me, I just wouldn't log in. Simple as that.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
I'm based in Chicago and got the same email ascribed to NYC. (Didn't check the signature however - presumably a Chicago manager)
I'm less disturbed by this than others, because I have always tipped -- my trips are usually 25 miles or more (home to/from airport) and the savings over taxi so great that it was always a "share the savings" impulse...even with the ORD/MDW surcharge and a small tip, I'm saving significantly over regular cab fare. That model might not apply in other cities.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 4:15 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by pinniped
However, are they prepared to police the rating system to ensure it doesn't develop into a tool whereby the rider must effectively bribe the system to get future rides?
This is the biggest question for me. If user ratings become impacted by the driver's expectation of a tip, it could spell trouble for the service.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 6:07 am
r0b

Originally Posted by ffsim
This is the biggest question for me. If user ratings become impacted by the driver's expectation of a tip, it could spell trouble for the service.
I came across an article on this somewhere yesterday. Sorry can't remember where. Apparently the driver can only rate immediately after the ride and before the next one he takes. The rider can rate at any time (or days/weeks later). The rider can also find out his rating before and after the trip. It was actually an Uber driver that pointed this out, but if the driver gives the rider a low rating, he puts himself at risk of the rider retaliating with a 1* which can be much worse for the driver than a rider.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 6:41 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by lskohn
I'm based in Chicago and got the same email ascribed to NYC. (Didn't check the signature however - presumably a Chicago manager)
I'm less disturbed by this than others, because I have always tipped -- my trips are usually 25 miles or more (home to/from airport) and the savings over taxi so great that it was always a "share the savings" impulse...even with the ORD/MDW surcharge and a small tip, I'm saving significantly over regular cab fare. That model might not apply in other cities.
Definitely doesn't in NYC, where UberX rates are set to be just about the same as taxis, including a tip for the taxi. If I start tipping the Uber driver, then UberX becomes pricier than taxis.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 7:40 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by r0b
I came across an article on this somewhere yesterday. Sorry can't remember where. Apparently the driver can only rate immediately after the ride and before the next one he takes. The rider can rate at any time (or days/weeks later). The rider can also find out his rating before and after the trip. It was actually an Uber driver that pointed this out, but if the driver gives the rider a low rating, he puts himself at risk of the rider retaliating with a 1* which can be much worse for the driver than a rider.
Good info, thanks!
Old Apr 29, 2016, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by r0b
That's good information.

I wonder if Lyft is similar? If their app, I can tip and rate long after the ride is over. I've had ones where I forgot to do it and tipped the driver the morning after the ride.

Does an Uber driver (in the current system) get notified when I rate him? I usually give five stars assuming nothing was wrong with the ride. Does that pop-up in the driver app in real time?

Uber has some key decisions to make in the coming weeks. Say nothing more in hopes that nobody really notices the changed verbiage and the non-tipping model sticks? Make it easier for riders to get their own rider rating in real-time? Revisit their earlier decision to not enable a tipping function in the app?

EDIT: After a bit of searching, I found my rating. You can indeed get your rating in real-time now.

Last edited by pinniped; Apr 29, 2016 at 1:09 pm
Old Apr 29, 2016, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by r0b
I came across an article on this somewhere yesterday. Sorry can't remember where. Apparently the driver can only rate immediately after the ride and before the next one he takes. The rider can rate at any time (or days/weeks later).
This isn't exactly true. Both riders and drivers have to rate each other before they can request/accept another ride. Practically speaking most drivers are going to need to rate you right away as they're most likely going to look for another ride right away, whereas riders might not ride that often and might have a longer time to rate the driver, but they still have to rate their last ride before they can request another.

The rider can also find out his rating before and after the trip. It was actually an Uber driver that pointed this out, but if the driver gives the rider a low rating, he puts himself at risk of the rider retaliating with a 1* which can be much worse for the driver than a rider.
While I suppose you could request your rating both before and after a ride, there may be a limit to how often you can request it and I'm not sure if it updates in real time. Doing this seems like an awful lot of trouble.

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Definitely doesn't in NYC, where UberX rates are set to be just about the same as taxis, including a tip for the taxi. If I start tipping the Uber driver, then UberX becomes pricier than taxis.
UberX (sans Surge) in NYC is now about 20% cheaper than taxis, so you could tip and it would still be comparable. But you shouldn't tip absent really extraordinary service. The only tip I've ever given an Uber driver was for taking a 50 mile drive out into the boonies.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 11:30 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
We could definitely say it is admirable that Uber is trying to get tipping for rides out of the habits of riders, but this may be a battle they don't win (unlike the airport access).

As Lyft has the tipping option and is starting to get aggressive to attract drivers, it doesn't matter what Uber thinks if it can't get drivers to accept its app that doesn't include tips (and if Lyft has more available drivers).

Interestingly, app tips would also increase credit card fees for Uber and would potentially dent its 19 cents revenue. I think in many cases, the merchant can't subtract card fees from tips. I am sure the cash option suits Uber just fine, but does add to friction in the process (which restaurants figured out long time ago).

Rasheed
Old Apr 29, 2016, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by themicah
This isn't exactly true. Both riders and drivers have to rate each other before they can request/accept another ride. Practically speaking most drivers are going to need to rate you right away as they're most likely going to look for another ride right away, whereas riders might not ride that often and might have a longer time to rate the driver, but they still have to rate their last ride before they can request another.
That's not correct... while you may have to rate before the next ride in the app, you can always go to your email receipt and submit the driver's rating from there.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
That's not correct... while you may have to rate before the next ride in the app, you can always go to your email receipt and submit the driver's rating from there.
Riders can also change the rating as many times as they want. I check my average rating before my trips and if it falls that means an uber driver rated me low. Some guy rated me 2* just because I didn't tip so I rated him 1*. My 4.9 rating as dropped to 4.65 because of all the new drivers expecting a tip.

I don't like drivers who give bad service or expect a tip for doing their job. If they actually provide excellent service that's when I'll tip, but that rarely happens.

Last edited by htehtrshtsrhstrhrsh; Apr 30, 2016 at 2:15 am
Old Apr 30, 2016, 10:56 am

Here's an idea. How about Uber allowing tips on the app, but make it anonymous (driver only know who left a tip or not) and the driver only receive a lump sum tip weekly or something? This way, less tension between the drivers and the passengers, in theory.

I know it could sound good in theory but can get awry in practice (a pax can leave 1 cent tip just to improve his/her pax rating), but it is something I thought about. Who knows? Some conscientious/kind pax may leave large tips to balance things out?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.