Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Uber For Real ?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2015, 1:04 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Tonight we attended a wedding and we did not want to be concerned with drinking alcohol and driving. Uber was perfect. We requested the Uber+ as we were ready to leave the wedding and we were picked up 4 minutes later and delivered safely home. I think it is a great service. Big fan of Uber+.
Old May 24, 2015, 11:36 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I like it for what I call niche rides. Example: a couple weeks ago I was at the BWI Hilton Garden Inn and I needed to get to the BWI Amtrak Station. The hotel shuttle ran on the half hour and only to the airport so I'd have had to leave earlier than I wanted to, ride to BWI wait on the BWI Bus to the Amtrak station and ride that. Instead, I took Uber.

I'll be in New York next month. I'll take a train to White Plains then I have to get to HPN for my flight. Uber will be great for that too. I like being able to track the car and I like the feedback system. Plus, earning SPG and Amex MR points is great too. It's definitely growing on me.
Old May 28, 2015, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
I use Uber X in lieu of taxis whenever possible. It is cheaper and the drivers are better than Chicago cabs in my experience. Usually end up using it a few times a week (to Ohare, weekend nights when I wouldn't want to drive). The only issue is that you can't get one at Ohare on the way back into the city (although you can get a Lyft). But you can change your pickup to somewhere where you obviously aren't like the middle of an interstate, and the driver will call you. YMMV if they actually will pick you up.
Old May 29, 2015, 12:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Plat, UA GS
In DTLA, uber is for real. I've gone ahead and sold my car (as uber is by far the cheaper option) and for longer drives I can rent a car for the day.

I also use it regularly for work so that I don't have to drive a rental in an unfamiliar city... Couldn't be happier with the competition to cabs - which I've found to be dreadful on almost every experience I've ever had to take them.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Here's a random use of Uber that I did today. My car was parked .6 miles from my workplace and when I went to the lobby I realized it was pouring rain. I had no umbrella and didn't want to get my suit soaked, especially as I was going to be working at my second job tonight. So I pulled up the Uber app, a car was in front of my building in less than one minute and it dropped me right in front of my car. Total cost: $4.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I've only tried Uber Black once. Have not yet tried any other variants. See my other thread where I got some good info on tipping.

I'm thinking that Uber might be a great alternative every time I am tempted to ask someone I know (co-worker, SO, etc) for a ride. For me, that frequently involves my car being in the shop. The dealership has a shuttle, but it is a pain to schedule pick-ups from my office when I don't even know exactly when my car will be ready.

I look forward to trying out Uber X in particular for these situations.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I use UberX constantly. I have had fewer bad experienecs than with taxis and the bad experiences are minor and chalked up to lack of knowledge rather than ripoff.

I use UberX when traveling when I am familiar with the city. Many drivers are newer and depending on GPS alone can be a mistake in some large cities. In cities where I am not familiar with the layout, I use Uber Black.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 3:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
I've probably had over 1000 Uber rides over the years, even in Taipei and Warsaw (yes, Warsaw). Not only is it cheaper than taxis (holds true in cheap cab cities too surprisingly like Taipei and Warsaw) but no haggling by the driver of trying to make you pay in cash and tip them. Yes, of course there are the occasional bad apples but taxi drivers are just unpleasant way more often than the ocassional Uber hiccup. In most cases if feels like cab drivers are out there to simply rip you off. I hope Uber destroys the taxi industry.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 9:30 pm

98 degrees in Downtown Raleigh today and I wanted to go to lunch at one of my favorite spots, just over 1 mile away. Uber was $4 each way and I got the sandwich I was craving ^
Old Jun 20, 2015, 4:21 pm

Uber is the greatest thing in the world, especially here in Cape Town. Taxis cost way less, AND you know who is picking you up (license plate+mug shot), so if you forget something (like your iphone) you immediately know who you can call, both parties have a clear understanding of the route and destination, drivers take exponentially more ownership for their actions, cars are comfortable clean and reliable. oh and fares are cheap cheap cheap and you don't have to worry about getting ripped off on short trips. uber's for real. get used to it. cartels gotta go.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 8:47 am

Used them a few times abroad. Here in Vancouver they are totally illegal. Decent experience each time I used them but people should not be confused. They offer some nice features and sometimes good pricing but imho the company is totally evil. Surge pricing for instance is not in the consumers best interest. So many ways that can be abused if it becomes the standard.

What I'd like to see is taxi co's step up their game in response and Uber treating their employees like employees, stop lying about what the company really is and for them to work with regulators to manage this industry without killing the best features Uber has to offer.

Last edited by trajanc; Jun 21, 2015 at 10:10 am
Old Jun 22, 2015, 5:01 am

Programs: HH D,CC,SPG,AZ: Gold;BA Silver, TK Elite
I use them a lot in London or Paris, every single time the trip is better than taking a cab: nicer and more polite drivers, cleaner cars, and no strange detours done to gain more money
Old Jun 22, 2015, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by trajanc
Used them a few times abroad. Here in Vancouver they are totally illegal. Decent experience each time I used them but people should not be confused. They offer some nice features and sometimes good pricing but imho the company is totally evil. Surge pricing for instance is not in the consumers best interest. So many ways that can be abused if it becomes the standard.
i do not get why canadians have such issues with surge pricing. apparently charging higher when there's elevated demand and scarce supply is "evil". did you know what's worse than surge pricing? no taxis, like in calgary when it's colder than -10...or taxis locking their doors and asking you where you're going (to get a good fare) before they let you in.

Originally Posted by trajanc
What I'd like to see is taxi co's step up their game in response and Uber treating their employees like employees, stop lying about what the company really is and for them to work with regulators to manage this industry without killing the best features Uber has to offer.
then you're just back at square one, taxi cartels (who, by the way, treat their drivers as independent contractors)

i seriously do not work for uber btw...i'm just so sick and tired of the cartels in places like calgary and vancouver, and a media and political establishment too terrified to take these chumps on.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 6:50 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
My first Über experience was in San Francisco a year and a half ago, my second was two weeks ago in Copenhagen, and last week 5 or so rides in NYC.

I love setting my destination and being able to follow along online, knowing and seeing I'm not being "taken for a ride".

I love being able to estimate time and fare. No haggling, and no awkward tip calculation.

I love having a photo of my driver and the license plate of the car.

All that, on top of polite drivers and clean cars. If average taxis provided that kind of stress-free experience, I wouldn't avoid them like the plague.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by frudd38
I've probably had over 1000 Uber rides over the years, even in Taipei and Warsaw (yes, Warsaw). Not only is it cheaper than taxis (holds true in cheap cab cities too surprisingly like Taipei and Warsaw) but no haggling by the driver of trying to make you pay in cash and tip them. Yes, of course there are the occasional bad apples but taxi drivers are just unpleasant way more often than the ocassional Uber hiccup. In most cases if feels like cab drivers are out there to simply rip you off. I hope Uber destroys the taxi industry.
Funny how places like Warsaw and Cape Town are pioneering ahead of such "forward" "progressive" places in canada

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.