Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Portable dashcam for rental cars?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2024, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Portable dashcam for rental cars?

I travel for both leisure and business frequently. One of my friends recently involved in an accident which could lead to an insurance fraud.
Would it be a good idea to carry a portable dashcam while traveling?
I am thinking of buying a rear view mirror dash cam or maybe a small one with suction mount?
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
m907, KRSW and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 10:58 pm

I was taking a look at dash cams for my personal car (total dash cam newb) and saw the recently released tiny Viofo VS1 2K dash cam with Sony Starvis 2 sensor, powered via usb-c. Not sure if there's a suction mount for it but perhaps a command strip or VHB it to a suction attachment if such things exist? There isn't a screen but the included buttons look fairly simple.

Reviews with footage
jizen likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 6:47 pm

I've been messing with dashcams since 2012. The issue in rental cars is all the main dashcam brands (Viofo, Blackvue, Vantrue, Rove, etc.) use 3M tape instead of suction cups. So you'd have to buy a separate suction cup mount.

Economy tier: Viofo A119 v3
Good tier: Viofo A229 Plus
Best:Viofo A229 Pro
jizen and Auto Enthusiast like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.