Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thrifty Promotions and Discounts

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2008, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by beckoa
Before my Amtrak woes, my #2 was Northwest Worldperks, since I travel them on occasion and enjoy the UG reciprocity. The Alaska Forum I try to help out with on occasion, and enjoy Hawaii too! (Lots but not enough experience on the Islands!) Travel Buzz, SPAM, and a couple others I also try to check out. missydarlin's Dining Buzz is also a savory thread to visit~! So just because you don't get around very much, doesn't mean I can't visit )

BTW... Like the name Thrifty since its the 9th point of the Scout Law~!
Sorry, I never went past Cub Scouts (I think I got a Webelos patch)--apparently, the virtue of sticktuitiveness (sticktoitiveness?) was never ingrained in me.

I've been meaning to check out missy's forum, but I love good food so much that I always fear I'll overeat more than I already do if I go in there. And TravelBuzz is just so overwhelming. But you're welcome over here any time, even if you have a few months yet before you can rent a car...
Old May 28, 2008, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jackal
(Thanks goes to ByeByeDelta, who inspired the design in his well-kept 2008 Amtrak Promotions and Discounts thread in the Amtrak forum.)
Thanks for keeping ths thread updated - I just got a great deal on an SUV thanks to a code you listed. And ByeByeDelta is doing a great job keeping the Amtrak thread updated - but just wanted to share a little history about the origins of that thread - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280042 - that said, ByeByeDelta is doing a much better job than I could have ever done!

Thanks for keeping it updated, Jackal!
Old May 28, 2008, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

EMT15 gives a 15% discount through June 15 - limited availability, but I got an SUV for 200 bucks for a week at TYS.

Found here - http://www.mousesavers.com/thrifty.html
Old May 28, 2008, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the thanks, and so I owe my inspiration to you, too! I haven't updated it in a bit--I've been so busy organizing all of the meet-ups for all the people coming up to ANC that I've sort of let this one slide (and it takes more time than I originally thought to keep it updated!).

Will try to get it updated within the next couple of weeks...
Old Aug 6, 2008, 8:46 pm

Programs: DL, UA, US, HHonors, PriorityClub, etc.
Thank you for posting these codes! I saved $105 for a week's rental in Ft Myers in October by using the orlando Magic card. funny thing is, I have the card but never thought to try it for my Ft Myers trip. I'd already rented a car one-way from FLL to RSW for part of my trip (no drop charge)...was unable to use the Magic card for this tho since a drop charge did apply. Thanks again!
Old Aug 7, 2008, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nlrjkr
Thank you for posting these codes! I saved $105 for a week's rental in Ft Myers in October by using the orlando Magic card. funny thing is, I have the card but never thought to try it for my Ft Myers trip. I'd already rented a car one-way from FLL to RSW for part of my trip (no drop charge)...was unable to use the Magic card for this tho since a drop charge did apply. Thanks again!
Heh...I'm glad some of them work. I basically missed the entire summer travel rush!

The codes are all publicly accessible via either the Thrifty website (look for the deals link) or the weekly Thrifty email (my primary sources, though I did find a few elsewhere), so if you need up-to-date codes, check there.

I'll still try to update this someday...but that day is not today...
Old Aug 8, 2008, 9:02 am

Programs: DL, UA, US, HHonors, PriorityClub, etc.
I'm happy with what you've done already. I do have a question - I originally booked a one-way FLL-RSW for one day and no drop charge was assessed just using AX10 code. I've tried the Magic card discount in the past few days to find a lower rate, but drop charge is assessed driving the price much higher. Using AX10 without the Magic card discount also now assesses a drop charge (as well as a higher daily rate than with the Magic card). Will Thrifty try to assess the drop charge on my original res? I haven't done much business with them in the past, so not sure of their tactics. Thanks again.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 5:48 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Hot Deals Rate for LAS & Possibly other locations - PC903
Old Sep 7, 2008, 9:20 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by nlrjkr
I'm happy with what you've done already. I do have a question - I originally booked a one-way FLL-RSW for one day and no drop charge was assessed just using AX10 code. I've tried the Magic card discount in the past few days to find a lower rate, but drop charge is assessed driving the price much higher. Using AX10 without the Magic card discount also now assesses a drop charge (as well as a higher daily rate than with the Magic card). Will Thrifty try to assess the drop charge on my original res? I haven't done much business with them in the past, so not sure of their tactics. Thanks again.
No... but make sure you have a print out of your original reservation showing no drop charge.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Ugh, I'm sorry, guys! I just haven't had time during the busy tourist season to keep this updated. I'm headed on an extended vacation until November, too, so I'll see about updating this when I get back. Until then, please of course feel free to use the thread to post anything you find and hopefully others can read it.

Old Nov 21, 2008, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

New frequent flyer partnership information

I'm back in the States and will try to get around to finding and posting more deals in the next couple of weeks.

I did go through and revise the frequent flyer partnership information, as contracts were renegotiated and new additions came into effect on September 1. Here is a brief summary of the changes:

New additions:
  • Emirates Skywards
  • Southwest Airlines

Terminated partnerships:
  • AeroMexico
  • Air Canada
  • Iceland Air
  • LatinPass

Changes:
  • Alaska Airlines: 55 (instead of 50) miles received per rental day
  • Northwest Airlines: 50 miles received per rental day (instead of 250 per transaction of seven or fewer days and 500 per transaction of eight or more days)
  • Surcharges for most U.S. airlines increased; surcharges are now listed in the first post
Old Mar 20, 2009, 7:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, NW Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Are there any new rental codes for 2009? Do any of them work in Europe?
Old Mar 20, 2009, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by computerquest
Are there any new rental codes for 2009? Do any of them work in Europe?
Check this link:

http://www.thrifty.com/Deals.aspx?Se...al&SearchParam

Appears there are indeed some for Europe.

Once I graduate in early May, I'll be MUCH freer to keep this thread up to date!
Old Apr 3, 2009, 6:26 am

Programs: AA/UA/BA
Anyone know of any discount codes for use in California this May? I rented a full-size vehicle for 3 weeks in May last year and payed only USD190.00 for the entire period. This year, they want around USD170.00 per week!

It's shocking, when you consider the price of gas has dropped massively too....
Old Apr 3, 2009, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 777Brit
Anyone know of any discount codes for use in California this May? I rented a full-size vehicle for 3 weeks in May last year and payed only USD190.00 for the entire period. This year, they want around USD170.00 per week!

It's shocking, when you consider the price of gas has dropped massively too....
Not quite so sure I'd say it's shocking, given that at $170 per week, the revenue brought in by that rate in a month is still about $100-150 less than the lease payment Thrifty pays Chrysler for the Dodge Charger (not to mention staffing and facility costs and other overhead), but to people accustomed to renting cars far below actual cost, it may be surprising to actually pay something close to what the car is worth.

Having said that, I do understand your desire to save money (and hey, I'm begging Alaska Airlines to sell me a ticket out of state below cost...assuming their current $600 ANC-SEA round trips reflect their actual costs). I'm too short on time to do a comprehensive overhaul of the deals listing, but this page may steer you in the right direction. Here's a 15% off weekly rates deal that appears to work at LAX (read the fine print to see if it'll work for your dates).

Don't forget to sign up for the Blue Chip program (if you can; I don't advocate it, but you can use the ol' use-a-friend's-address method to put down a domestic address) and choose Blue Chip Rental Rewards as your rewards option (unless you find airline points more valuable), since your three-week rental will give you enough Blue Chip credits to get you a free day next time you rent a car and leave you some points left over. Played right, that free day can have upwards of $100 value, since you can redeem it at any U.S./Canada location, even if they're charging $100 per day for fullsize cars in the middle of peak season.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.