Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Rented car has been damaged, no call from insurance company

Old Sep 1, 2017, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Hello,

I'm an international staff in a facility and rented a nice car exactly 4 weeks ago from a well-trusted company (I'm not going to mention anything personal detail for various reasons, but I have to type some information down to make a full picture). The company made me pay two of the insurances: one which covers the car and one which covers anything else - I had no problem accepting them. On the way back I was out of luck and hit a small animal on a country road. It damaged the front of the car and some inside engine parts. I was able to drive it back to the original branch, but it was closed at that time. I wanted to play it fair so I let them know of the damage, and also, they knew my employer, my address, my phone number, everything about me.

Second part of the story: I haven't been called by anyone, didn't receive a letter, a check, an email. They didn't take the deductible off my card.

Third part of the story: I'm going to leave the country in a few days. The exchange rate between my home currency and USD is pretty bad right now, so it would be advisable to keep the money on my card as long as necessary, but I'm afraid that they will take the deductible (500 USD) in the meantime. I think I waited enough, now I would like to keep that 500 bucks.

I have only one question: Do you think, is there a real chance that after 4 weeks they didn't forget me?

Thank you!
Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:07 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

You were not really clear whether you are a non-US resident who rented a car in the US or a US resident who rented a car outside the US, but I am going to assume though it's the former since you referred you "exchange rate between my home currency and USD". I will answer from this perspective.

It sounds like you paid for CDW (which covers the car) and LIS (which covers damage or injury to other people/property). This is an assumption on my part, so it's best to confirm from your rental contract that this was actually the case.

Assuming this is correct, the CDW covers any damage 100%. CDW stands for Collision Damage Waiver. It is a waiver of your responsibility for any damage you may do to the car (assuming you are acting in a responsible manner). It is not insurance. As such, there is no deductible.

Unlike some rentals outside the US (especially Europe), there is no concept of "excess" here. Once you accept CDW it covers any/all damage to the vehicle. It tends to be fairly expensive here in the US, but you are completely absolved of any damage claims if you pay for it.

I'm not sure where you got the $500 figure from? Maybe this was a deposit that they took on your card at the outset of the rental, and it has since been

In terms of LIS (Liability Insurance Supplement), it would cover damage or injuries to others. In this case, I don't think that the relatives of the animal you hit are going to sue you for wrongful death, so you're probably fine, but even if there was a claim, you'd be insured up to $1M USD.

In short, you should not owe anything since you paid for the CDW. Return home and rest easy.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your quick reply.

You were right, I'm from Europe and I purchased CDW and LIS too.
I also read in the contract, that CDW is not an 'insurance', but I didn't know that it means, there is no deductible.

My American coworkers (not official sources) told me that there is a deductible, and they also shared their similar stories with me. So I started looking on the web and I found information on deductibles what are usually around $500.

You really surprised me with this information. I played with the though, "what if there is no deductible at all? But then everyone could rent a sports car and drive it recklessly, so it has to have retentiveness in some way."

But hey, looking at your credit, I believe you! ^

You made my day, thank you Sir/Madam.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 10:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no such thing as "CDW". There is the Hertz version, the Avis version and so on. Without specifics, all you get are generalities. And you already have those and they won't help you in a real world situation.

So, specifics please.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 11:15 am

Avis
Loss Damage Waiver (LDW)

Renters may purchase loss damage waiver (LDW) that reduces the financial liability for loss or damage to the Avis car as long as they comply with the terms of the Avis rental agreement. Cost of LDW will vary by location, car group and rate. If you have rental car coverage through your personal insurance or charge card, LDW offers maximum protection while your personal insurance or charge card may contain a deductible.
Hertz
At Hertz, we want you to know the facts before you rent. There are a lot of misconceptions and misunderstandings about coverage on your rental cars these days, but one thing is certain: not knowing exactly what you are covered for, could have a significant financial impact. The following information is designed to give you some important facts and help keep you from taking unnecessary chances.

Benefits of the Hertz Protect the Car (Loss Damage Waiver):
Covers all vehicle damage to Hertz rental car*; regardless of who is fault
No need to file a claim with personal auto insurance
No deductible for you to pay to Hertz
Old Sep 1, 2017, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Okay, sorry, I was too confidential.

Enterprise: DW + SLP have been purchased.
(https://www.enterprise.com/en/help/f...urance-us.html)

What would you say?
Old Sep 1, 2017, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Darki
Okay, sorry, I was too confidential.

Enterprise: DW + SLP have been purchased.
(https://www.enterprise.com/en/help/f...urance-us.html)

What would you say?
Some U.S. car-rental companies offer more than one type of damage waiver. One type absolves the renter of all responsibility (as long as the terms of the rental contract are not violated); the other type reduces -- but does not completely eliminate -- the renter's responsibility in the event of damage to the car. I know that Alamo offers both types of damage waiver; not sure about Enterprise. What does your rental contract say?
Old Sep 1, 2017, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

I found my contract with the terms and conditions.

It says:
17. Optional Damage Waiver:
"...Owner agrees... to contractually waive Renter's responsibility for all the cost of damage to, loss of theft of, Vehicle or any part or accessorry and related costs regardless of fault or negligence."

It was a kinda expensive supersport car, I was really stressed when the accident happened. I rushed thru the contract looking for information, but my brain was probably not on top to get all the useful information written there.

I didn't do anything which invalidates this, and there are no numbers, so I assume Enterprise's Optional Damage Waiver covered all the costs, right?

Thank you for opening my eyes. I simply accepted the fact, that at that time I didn't find the information I was looking for so never read it again.

PS: CDW was 29.99/day, SLP was 14.99/day.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Darki
PS: CDW was 29.99/day, SLP was 14.99/day.
CDW for $29.99 is most assuredly the form that covers 100% with zero deductible.

(If it were $15 or so, it might be the limited form that only covers the first $500 or so of damage.)

You almost certainly won't ever hear another thing from the rental company. They will repair the car, see that you bought CDW (LDW), and write off the loss internally.

You should have nothing to worry about.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by jackal
CDW for $29.99 is most assuredly the form that covers 100% with zero deductible.

(If it were $15 or so, it might be the limited form that only covers the first $500 or so of damage.)
Though I think we can assure in the case with what the OP posted on their contract; a rate of $29.99 for CDW would be pretty low for some of the more exotic rentals.

For example, for Enterprise, on a Corvette; the DW/CDW rate is $75.00/day (looking at a receipt in front of me -- and no, I didn't purchase it, but it's listed as an option/rate). So much of the DW/CDW pricing is going to be based on the type of vehicle.

As the OP mentioned an "expensive supersport car"; the $29.99 rate actually could be cheap; but for something like a Mustang/Mustang GT or similar, probably spot on.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by JLewisinSyr
Though I think we can assure in the case with what the OP posted on their contract; a rate of $29.99 for CDW would be pretty low for some of the more exotic rentals.

For example, for Enterprise, on a Corvette; the DW/CDW rate is $75.00/day (looking at a receipt in front of me -- and no, I didn't purchase it, but it's listed as an option/rate). So much of the DW/CDW pricing is going to be based on the type of vehicle.

As the OP mentioned an "expensive supersport car"; the $29.99 rate actually could be cheap; but for something like a Mustang/Mustang GT or similar, probably spot on.
Good point, although the OP mentioned a "kinda expensive supersport[s] car." Though the meaning of "kinda" can indeed vary by person.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.