Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thrifty not honouring reservation

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2017, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trooper
If a company is going to sell the rights to use their name to a local franchise why on earth do you (apparently) feel it acceptable that they have no obligation to enforce some kind of service standard?
I agree. There are some pro-Thrifty comments here that seem to want to absolve thrifty of any responsibility for what their franchises do. I feel the problem is systemic. Their customer service is a mess, and if they feel they have are absolved of any responsibility for what their franchises do, then it's not a company I'll do business with in the future. There is a reason you go with a global brand as you do, and rightfully should, expect a service standard that the global organization stands behind, audits, and ensures....

If when I called the Thrifty hotline, they had acted in a way that attempted to move to a position to make this right, then maybe my position would be different. However, after 5 calls and a general position from multiple people that they just don't care, then that's it for me. I'm not wasting anymore time with them.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:14 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

If a company is going to sell the rights to use their name to a local franchise why on earth do you (apparently) feel it acceptable that they have no obligation to enforce some kind of service standard?
I don't think anyone here said it was acceptable. I think everyone would agree it's wholly unacceptable. That said, the fact remains that there is often a gap between the way things should be and the way things actually are. We can complain about them and deny them all we want, but it doesn't mean they will change.

If the OP doesn't want to rent from Thrifty in the future, that is certainly his prerogative. It was just pointed out here that Thrifty is not a company but a brand. Both Thrifty and Dollar are owned by Hertz, so if you truly don't want to give your business to the company that is responsible for not forcing their franchises to live up to their agreements, then you would need to stop renting from Hertz, Dollar, and Thrifty. To only stop renting from Thrifty may give you some inner peace, but it accomplishes nothing if you're still renting from Hertz for example, since you are still patronizing the company that owns Thrifty.

Last edited by AutoSlash; Jun 26, 2017 at 7:50 pm
Old Jun 26, 2017, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Where did anyone excuse Thrifty or say it was acceptable for them to wash their hands of responsibility?

I simply spent a good deal of time pointing out a) how the system is actually set up (with all companies, not just Thrifty) and b) your best options for working around the system and getting what you want despite the system's limitations. That is where value on FlyerTalk is. Venting about bad experiences serves no useful purpose. Analyzing why things happen the way they do and sharing experiences for how to get around the issues and to a successful resolution is of value. If someone just wants to vent, they should go post on Consumerist or something. If someone actually wants information on how things work and how to resolve issues, posting here on FT is the best avenue for that.

We can all wish things were different. (And I very clearly do wish they were different: I illustrated what I believe the rental companies should do in my post.) But until they change (and that's not likely based on one or two random people deciding to boycott them, when just as many people are huffing and puffing and deciding to boycott Budget or Enterprise or whatever else after bad experiences with them), this is how the system is set up.

Originally Posted by DanTravel
I agree. There are some pro-Thrifty comments here that seem to want to absolve thrifty of any responsibility for what their franchises do. I feel the problem is systemic. Their customer service is a mess, and if they feel they have are absolved of any responsibility for what their franchises do, then it's not a company I'll do business with in the future. There is a reason you go with a global brand as you do, and rightfully should, expect a service standard that the global organization stands behind, audits, and ensures....

If when I called the Thrifty hotline, they had acted in a way that attempted to move to a position to make this right, then maybe my position would be different. However, after 5 calls and a general position from multiple people that they just don't care, then that's it for me. I'm not wasting anymore time with them.
Again, please point out the pro-Thrifty comments. I have no love for Thrifty. I also have no love for just about everyone else in the rental industry. I have spent 15 years working in the industry (on both sides of the counter) and have rented probably, what, 200 cars in recent memory--with all companies. I have had perfectly fine experiences with many, and I have been burned several times. I have also watched friends get burned by other companies that I have had perfectly good experiences with, and those same friends have had perfectly good experiences with the companies I have been burned by.

They all suck on some level. And all of their back-end processes with dealing with foreign franchises are more or less the same. If you think Avis is immune to issues, all you need to do is read back on these forums here on FlyerTalk to find countless examples of people having miserable experiences with Avis overseas and getting no support from Avis's corporate office in the states. I have friends who won't touch Avis because they are convinced Avis is the worst company out there after getting burned by them.

The points I illustrated were simply:

• No rental company provides ultra-tight enforcement of brand standards at foreign franchises, and no rental company provides any method of escalating issues to corporate until the rental contract has been closed out. Thrifty is not exceptional here.
  • If you want to maximize your chances of a successful outcome, follow my advice for escalating your case.
  • If you are turned off by your experience, loudly declaring to the world on FlyerTalk that Thrifty sucks and you'll never do business with them is silly, because you are just as likely to have a similar experience with virtually every other company out there, and for every person who decides to boycott Thrifty, there are an equal number of people deciding to boycott the other brands for crappy service with them, so it's not like your boycott will have any effect. So if your boycott doesn't protect you (since the same thing very likely will happen at another company) and it doesn't harm Thrifty (since people are just as unhappy with experiences at other companies and end up switching to Thrifty), then what's the point? You might as well just book whoever's cheapest next time. if you want to overpay and rent with someone else, you are more than welcome to, but it's my expert opinion that is a silly decision. But if you trust your own anecdotes more than the collective data here on FT, by all means, feel free to go forth and pay more.

Also, you weren't clear. When you were frustrated with your multiple calls to Thrifty, were you calling the Uruguay franchise or the US-based 800 number? I've been hung up on by Payless customer service and Advantage/E-Z customer service, but I've never been hung up on by one of the majors, and I question how it would be possible to be hung up on by them since they operate large call centers and have scripts to follow, and hanging up on a customer would certainly be in violation of the quality assurance metrics the call center operates under. If you were hung up on by the Uruguay franchise, then don't call it customer service: call it the Uruguay location, and we're right back to the fact that you're dealing with a bad, rogue franchise. If you were hung up on by the 800# US corporate office Thrifty customer service...well, then that I would say is worth escalating to the VP level becaues that is a serious problem.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

I do appreciate your responses. I'm not here to vent, but I was honestly looking for how to approach it, but I will just move on. I was hung up on by the US Throfty 800 number which I used from Throfty's website. To clear that up.

Some time has passed and it's not worth my time Persuing anything with Thrifty. It's not about wishing things were different. Based on my experience of how other car rental companies operate, I will use global rental car companies, who seem to have it together. I think that's a pretty good lesson learned. The auto slash guy even confirmed my sentiment about the other rental company...

The lesson is. I typically use Avis without a single problem, and so I'm going to continue to use other agencies that work for me. If Thrifty workswell for others than go for it. But, not me.

Originally Posted by jackal
Where did anyone excuse Thrifty or say it was acceptable for them to wash their hands of responsibility?

I simply spent a good deal of time pointing out a) how the system is actually set up (with all companies, not just Thrifty) and b) your best options for working around the system and getting what you want despite the system's limitations. That is where value on FlyerTalk is. Venting about bad experiences serves no useful purpose. Analyzing why things happen the way they do and sharing experiences for how to get around the issues and to a successful resolution is of value. If someone just wants to vent, they should go post on Consumerist or something. If someone actually wants information on how things work and how to resolve issues, posting here on FT is the best avenue for that.

We can all wish things were different. (And I very clearly do wish they were different: I illustrated what I believe the rental companies should do in my post.) But until they change (and that's not likely based on one or two random people deciding to boycott them, when just as many people are huffing and puffing and deciding to boycott Budget or Enterprise or whatever else after bad experiences with them), this is how the system is set up.

Again, please point out the pro-Thrifty comments. I have no love for Thrifty. I also have no love for just about everyone else in the rental industry. I have spent 15 years working in the industry (on both sides of the counter) and have rented probably, what, 200 cars in recent memory--with all companies. I have had perfectly fine experiences with many, and I have been burned several times. I have also watched friends get burned by other companies that I have had perfectly good experiences with, and those same friends have had perfectly good experiences with the companies I have been burned by.

They all suck on some level. And all of their back-end processes with dealing with foreign franchises are more or less the same. If you think Avis is immune to issues, all you need to do is read back on these forums here on FlyerTalk to find countless examples of people having miserable experiences with Avis overseas and getting no support from Avis's corporate office in the states. I have friends who won't touch Avis because they are convinced Avis is the worst company out there after getting burned by them.

The points I illustrated were simply:
  • No rental company provides ultra-tight enforcement of brand standards at foreign franchises, and no rental company provides any method of escalating issues to corporate until the rental contract has been closed out. Thrifty is not exceptional here.
  • If you want to maximize your chances of a successful outcome, follow my advice for escalating your case.
  • If you are turned off by your experience, loudly declaring to the world on FlyerTalk that Thrifty sucks and you'll never do business with them is silly, because you are just as likely to have a similar experience with virtually every other company out there, and for every person who decides to boycott Thrifty, there are an equal number of people deciding to boycott the other brands for crappy service with them, so it's not like your boycott will have any effect. So if your boycott doesn't protect you (since the same thing very likely will happen at another company) and it doesn't harm Thrifty (since people are just as unhappy with experiences at other companies and end up switching to Thrifty), then what's the point? You might as well just book whoever's cheapest next time. if you want to overpay and rent with someone else, you are more than welcome to, but it's my expert opinion that is a silly decision. But if you trust your own anecdotes more than the collective data here on FT, by all means, feel free to go forth and pay more.

Also, you weren't clear. When you were frustrated with your multiple calls to Thrifty, were you calling the Uruguay franchise or the US-based 800 number? I've been hung up on by Payless customer service and Advantage/E-Z customer service, but I've never been hung up on by one of the majors, and I question how it would be possible to be hung up on by them since they operate large call centers and have scripts to follow, and hanging up on a customer would certainly be in violation of the quality assurance metrics the call center operates under. If you were hung up on by the Uruguay franchise, then don't call it customer service: call it the Uruguay location, and we're right back to the fact that you're dealing with a bad, rogue franchise. If you were hung up on by the 800# US corporate office Thrifty customer service...well, then that I would say is worth escalating to the VP level becaues that is a serious problem.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The very next thread is roughly the same problem at Avis.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-...ermediate.html
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
The very next thread is roughly the same problem at Avis.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-...ermediate.html
Good read too. Thanks for sharing this perspective from Avis as well....
Old Jun 28, 2017, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
I don't think anyone here said it was acceptable. I think everyone would agree it's wholly unacceptable. That said, the fact remains that there is often a gap between the way things should be and the way things actually are. We can complain about them and deny them all we want, but it doesn't mean they will change.

If the OP doesn't want to rent from Thrifty in the future, that is certainly his prerogative. It was just pointed out here that Thrifty is not a company but a brand. Both Thrifty and Dollar are owned by Hertz, so if you truly don't want to give your business to the company that is responsible for not forcing their franchises to live up to their agreements, then you would need to stop renting from Hertz, Dollar, and Thrifty. To only stop renting from Thrifty may give you some inner peace, but it accomplishes nothing if you're still renting from Hertz for example, since you are still patronizing the company that owns Thrifty.
Just to point out something but just because Payless is owned by Avis doesn't mean it's equal. I've had a bad experience with Payless before I even took the car so I cancled and went to Alamo. That being said I rent from Avis and never had any issues with them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.