Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Drive rental car to German-Poland-Germany

Old Nov 29, 2016, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: OneWorld, Star Alliance, SkyTeam, AMEX

Hi, does anyone know if any of the car rental folks at Tegel will let me drive across Schengen border to Poland (I will be returning Tegel).
Old Nov 29, 2016, 1:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Poland is part of Schengen
Old Nov 29, 2016, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cris L
Poland is part of Schengen
Yes but almost all rental companies forbid driving to Poland (but you can drive to Western Schengen countries). In fact, I have not managed to find a single one that will let me do it. I am asking if there is ANY one at Tegel that will let me do it.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 1:09 am

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
I recall at least with Hertz some specific rules about taking the car out of Germany. Seemed ridiculous to me.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 5:34 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by flyupfrnt
... Seemed ridiculous to me.
Considering the numbers of stolen luxury cars, it isn't ridiculous at all. In in 90s and early 00s, there was this German saying "Heute gestohlen, morgen in Polen" ("Stolen today. Tomorrow in Poland"). That said, Poland has made considerable efforts to prevent car theft (which is way, some car rental agencies aren't as strict regarding Poland as they are with other nations)

Originally Posted by johnspenceruk
Yes but almost all rental companies forbid driving to Poland (but you can drive to Western Schengen countries).
Stop trying to associate everything with Schengen, as this will only overcomplicate things.

BTW: Most allow driving to Eastern Europe with standard, non-luxury cars. E.g. Sixt lists the Opel Mokka, Nissan Qashqai, Ford Kuga and the Fiat 500x as SUV that may enter Zone 2 (essentially Eastern Europe). Sixt even allows driving into Poland with Audis, BMWs, Mercs and VWs up to a certain car category.

In other words, read the rental conditions and rent a car that isn't excluded from driving into Poland. Have it confirmed when taking the car. Otherwise you might end up without insurance coverage.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WorldLux

In other words, read the rental conditions and rent a car that isn't excluded from driving into Poland. Have it confirmed when taking the car. Otherwise you might end up without insurance coverage.
Thanks. Last time I tried this I called a couple agents at Tegel (one was Avis, second can't remember) and they told me it was not possible. Mind you that was about 5 years go.

I called Enterprise head-office (I've status with them, my preferred option) and they confirmed it should be possible but many cars are excluded and I need to pay a daily surcharge between Ł5-Ł50 and advised to call Tegel desk prior to booking.

I already have annual rental car cover (worldwide with ICarHireInsurance) so will only need pay the "Poland surcharge".

The two week rental is only Ł300 + whatever the extra "Poland coverage" is, hopefully just Ł5 per day. I will find out and report back.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WorldLux
OK, I rented from Enterprise. There is additional daily charge of 7 euros per day.

Last edited by johnspenceruk; Nov 30, 2016 at 5:12 am
Old Dec 9, 2016, 9:44 pm

I just did this trip back in September. Berlin -> Rzeszow in a 70,000 Euro Audi A6 Avant 3.0 TDI Quattro from Sixt! No additional charge as all cars up to LXXX such as LWAR are allowed into Poland and the Czech Republic from Sixt Germany.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 9:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My travel agent once had to contact Hertz to get special permission to go to Belgium in a car that ordinarily couldn't leave France. I've had other contracts that said no Italy, while my last Italian rental couldn't be driven over the eastern border.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My travel agent once had to contact Hertz to get special permission to go to Belgium in a car that ordinarily couldn't leave France. I've had other contracts that said no Italy, while my last Italian rental couldn't be driven over the eastern border.
Hertz rules seems stupid. I think their M5s aren't allowed to leave Germany at all. Sixt Germany is quite relaxed on where their cars can go. Many of their cheaper cars can go anywhere in the EU. You can technically bring the LPAN BMW M550d into Poland and the Czech Republic for no extra fee... It felt perfectly safe bringing Audi A6s and BMW 5ers into Poland and the Czech Republic this summer.

I believe Europcar Austria lets nearly all vehicles into Eastern Europe given a surcharge. Even Porsche Drive will let you bring a 911 from Berlin to Romania if you promise to use "above average safety measures"! One thing I noted, places such as Ukraine are technically insured on Sixt's green card insurance for their vehicles even though the rental agreement prohibits you from bringing the car in. Food for thought?
Old Dec 20, 2016, 4:49 am

Hi
not sure if you still need help with your query, but just to let you know, that AVIS will allow you to take car to PL with no additional fees. there's only a question re car you would like to book - Avis will not allow you to take any premium cars.
other car rentals will also allow to take car to PL but will charge additional fee.
i use Avis 2 - 3 times a year and never had any issues with Avis.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lucifersam1982
Hi
not sure if you still need help with your query, but just to let you know, that AVIS will allow you to take car to PL with no additional fees. there's only a question re car you would like to book - Avis will not allow you to take any premium cars.
other car rentals will also allow to take car to PL but will charge additional fee.
i use Avis 2 - 3 times a year and never had any issues with Avis.
Thanks, I have rented from Enterprise as I have status with them (plus they were one of the cheapest anyway considering I only rent automatic cars). It seems the situation has improved, when I tried to do this 10+ years ago, I could find no rental company that'd allow this. I only visit Poland once every 5-6 years and I must say Poland is developing quickly. I will not be surprised if in 10-15 years Poland will be one of the best places to live in Europe, even overtake places like the UK or Ireland for life quality.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.