Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Alamo Playing Hardball With No CDW w/Accident

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alamo Playing Hardball With No CDW w/Accident

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2016, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
So how about the situation where I am traveling on business and my company self-insures their employees' auto rentals while on company business?

My company forbids me from accepting CDW/LDW/etc. in US, Canada, and some Caribbean nations as part of its travel policy.

I would be very reluctant or flat out refuse to provide my personal insurance information on a business rental in this situation since my personal insurance is NOT my primary insurance (and in fact, doesn't cover me at all when I use a rental vehicle for business) on that type of rental. It sure doesn't sound like the agent in OP would accept "my employer" as a proper answer to "who is your insurance company?"
Does your employer self insure for third-party liability as well, or only for loss/damage to the rental vehicle? Does your employer have a contracted rate with the rental company, which sometimes includes primary, third-party liability coverage?
Old Nov 16, 2016, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Here is an update: I received my letter from Alamo's Damage Recovery Unit (DRU). Kind of funny, in the letter it states "...contact your insurance company and/or credit card company" when the supervisor in TPA told me that they don't deal with credit card companies directly because it takes to long to settle.

When I called the DRU to ask some questions, she was very helpful and polite. She said they do settle with the credit card company and does not know why the supervisor told me that they didn't. She also told me that it takes 60-90 days to process the whole claim and notated on my claim not to file a claim with USAA unless the credit card company doesn't settle. I asked her about the $500 charge (which covers my USAA deductible) and she said that at some locations they are required to do that. A previous poster mentioned about not having insurance because you don't own a car---I asked her about that and she said "good question, I'm not sure what happens"!

USAA has already settled with the person that I hit and I know their damage was less than mine, so I'm hoping it won't mess with my rates that much. She also reassured me that I will get my $500 refunded once they settle with DC; that made me feel better.

I will update when more info is complete.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 10:41 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Rented earlier in the month from EHI (Enterprise/National/Alamo) and damaged the vehicle when parking. The damage was very obvious but the check-in attendant did not notice it and quickly gave me the receipt. As he was giving me the receipt I pointed out to him the large damage and he sent me to the service window to fill out an "incident report" which took about two minutes and they said the corporate office would contact me. Since I had already contacted the credit card company to open a claim prior to returning the vehicle, I had a claim number from them which was provided on the "incident report." They had no problem with putting my credit card was primary and did not ask for my auto insurer or attempt to collect any funds from me.

Two weeks larger the EHI Damage Recovery Unit sent me a letter stating there was damage, but did not provide me with a monetary value, or any damage estimates. Their letter stated they need the credit card claim number, my insurance policy, or if I would prefer, to pay them directly on my own. I gave them the information again on the credit card claim number but it seems to me they already had this from the report I filled out upon returning the vehicle so why are they asking again? And since they are the one wanting payment I am surprised they are not more efficient at contacting the credit card company... or is there some way for me to somehow get these two parties to communicate with each other in a more timely manner?

I feel like we are at a bit of a standstill. The credit card company continues to say they cannot do anything until EHI gives them a list of the repairs and the amount due. I have uploaded all other required documents that the credit card company needs. My insurer should not need to be involved as credit card is primary and since the object hit was a cement curb there was no other property damage or anything involved.

Tried calling EHI Damage Recovery Unit today and was on the phone on hold for about ten minutes. Then a message played saying they were closed (noticed it had just hit 5 PM Central) and to call during normal business hours. I am surprised to see they have the system programmed to hang up though I called before closing time and was on hold.

I am just attempting to get this resolved as quickly as possible to not impact future EHI rentals I have after the holidays.

Last edited by storewanderer; Dec 28, 2016 at 10:47 pm
Old Sep 24, 2017, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by zdcatc12
Here is an update: I received my letter from Alamo's Damage Recovery Unit (DRU). Kind of funny, in the letter it states "...contact your insurance company and/or credit card company" when the supervisor in TPA told me that they don't deal with credit card companies directly because it takes to long to settle.

When I called the DRU to ask some questions, she was very helpful and polite. She said they do settle with the credit card company and does not know why the supervisor told me that they didn't. She also told me that it takes 60-90 days to process the whole claim and notated on my claim not to file a claim with USAA unless the credit card company doesn't settle. I asked her about the $500 charge (which covers my USAA deductible) and she said that at some locations they are required to do that. A previous poster mentioned about not having insurance because you don't own a car---I asked her about that and she said "good question, I'm not sure what happens"!

USAA has already settled with the person that I hit and I know their damage was less than mine, so I'm hoping it won't mess with my rates that much. She also reassured me that I will get my $500 refunded once they settle with DC; that made me feel better.

I will update when more info is complete.
Just wondered have you had a final update yet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.