Community
Wiki Posts
Search

rental cars-used car salesmen of today

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2016, 11:03 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by s0ssos
You apparently don't maximize your earnings. As there should be no rental that only earns 50 AA miles.
50 AA miles off a one day Alamo rental of $35 is fine by me.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 12:25 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
Originally Posted by vincentharris
Even better at National, you just pick a car, and go. Once you get to the security booth where they check you out before you go you just hand them your ID, they hand you a contract, and you are gone.
All of my rental car problems recently have been with National. Four times in a row, when I got to the booth, they gave me a contract with a different price than my reservation. So it is back to the counter with lots of arguing. Now I just go straight to the counter. I still have to argue with them about half the time. I haven't had any trouble the last few years with Enterprise, Hertz, Avis or Alamo.

The high pressure tactics that the OP refers to are just their business model. I find it surprising that you can still reserve a car and there is no penalty for a no-show.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:09 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by CPRich
Care to share these many scams? I must have missed them.
Originally Posted by Brighton Line
Same thing, never knew I had to check for a gas cap before leaving the lot until I got charged for the missing one. Discovered, yes when I stopped to put gas in the tank, no gas cap.
Brought that to the attention of the return attendant but said I had to be charged since it was not noted when taking the car.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:00 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
I often worry about the infrequent leisure travellers when renting cars. I was standing in line for Avis/Budget in KEF this week, with a long queue of tourists in front of me. As Iceland is a country with large numbers of tourists, and where car rental is essentially necessary, the number of people who were naive about the process was alarming. Most people in front of me had all-in travel agent bookings, and were shocked that they were facing a 1400 EUR damage liability. Add to that the sand and ash insurance that is so often sold in Iceland, and the upselling was like nothing I'd seen before.

I wish people were more aware that rental car companies can't be trusted any further than you can throw them and must be treated with extreme caution.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:17 pm

Totally agree and then some...

Originally Posted by Skatering
I wish people were more aware that rental car companies can't be trusted any further than you can throw them and must be treated with extreme caution.
Even here in the states, in the unfortunate instances where I have to "stand in line" and watch/listen to the innocent in front of me being taken advantage of at the counter, how I wish I had the courage to walk up and intercede on their behalf, and serve as their advocate. Even when I'm on my way to pick up a Budget rental using Fastbreak, and see the long line for the counter as I'm walking by, how I wish I had the courage to go to every single person in that line and tell to sign up for Fastbreak and other similar programs, even if they don't rent cars that often, etc.

Why do I suspect if I did intercede, my presence there would not be tolerated very long...
Old Oct 3, 2016, 10:53 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by randix
Even here in the states, in the unfortunate instances where I have to "stand in line" and watch/listen to the innocent in front of me being taken advantage of at the counter, how I wish I had the courage to walk up and intercede on their behalf, and serve as their advocate.
I hear what you're saying. But at the same time, you don't know the actual situation. For instance, they may be using a payment tool that doesn't include rental car coverage. They may not own their own vehicle and thus have no personal insurance that will cover the rental. Unless you know these things, it could be an expensive mistake to intervene.

All that said, those once-a-year renters who end up buying the entire insurance package help keep the rates lower for the rest of us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.