Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Costco for car rentals - seems to be cheapest always!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Costco for car rentals - seems to be cheapest always!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2016, 4:53 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by T Q
Interesting comments. The only problem we had with Budget @ Detroit was that the line was 35 people long when we got to the rental center. I so wished I had fastbreak. It took a full hour plus 10 or 15 min to get to counter. Unbelievable. I typically like Enterprise or Alamo. I don't travel that frequently so I'm no expert, however.
Originally Posted by randix
join Fastbreak and similar programs at other car rental agencies, and you won't have a reason to post how long you had to wait!
Another advantage to enrolling in similar programs at rental agencies is that you slowly accumulated points/perks along the way that can help in future rentals. Budget and other programs sometimes have promo where for every 2 rentals you get a $25 discount on a future reservation, others offer a free day. Once you make your reservation @ Costco, enter your rental agency membership # in order for it to track.

Nothing like trying to maximize the benefits. I used to be a loyal National member, Executive Elite level, but for the past couple of years I've been a free agent, National prices have skyrocketed and I dislike their updated website.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP x 1.5, DL GM, JB, HH GLD
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Do you have to be a Costco member to use Costco Travel?
Yes. You even have to set up a separate "travel" account, separate from your regular Costco account. That being said, it can be worth the price of annual membership on a good single one-week rental. They are not ALWAYS the cheapest, but are generally the best about 60-70% of the time. I had a three day reservation in HPN last week, booked through Costco for $147, and then re-checked it a few days before, and it was down to $54 AI. That's pretty amazing for that airport.

If you book an occasional flight through Expedia, they give you greatly preferred car rental offers, so I occasionally intentionally book a flight here and there through their system. Their rates, on occasion, beat Costco by a significant amount. I have used autoslash, but I am usually pretty good about ferreting out the lowest available prices.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Global Entry
I have only been able to use Costcotravel to book car rentals in the US and Canada. Has anyone used them to book in Europe or Asia?
Old Nov 1, 2016, 4:21 pm

Programs: no status
Originally Posted by scottinaz
I have only been able to use Costcotravel to book car rentals in the US and Canada. Has anyone used them to book in Europe or Asia?
Yes Costcotravel rocks, but unfortunately only in North America.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta PLAT, Marriot Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, A couple of other airlines - pee on
One thing I have noticed about costco rentals is that when you book in the 24 hour increments, the rate is cheap than if you book in say 20 hour increments.

For example I was looking at a car in DFW I picked 5pm pick up time on 11/18 with a return of 3pm on 11/21. The costco rate for budget was $120 for SUV at Budget. However, when I changed to 5pm on 11/21 then the rate dropped to $102 same SUV same Budget.

Similarly, looking at a car in YEG Dec 25 6pm to Dec 31 4pm, = Alamo $252 mid size. When I change the time to 6pm on 12/31 rate drops to $234 same Alamo same mid size.

As rental car use the 24 hr clock, even if you return early, they will not change price unless it is more than 12 hours early or something like that.

This has happened to me at least three times now so I always book in 24 hour increments now.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:16 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by scottinaz
Just came back from Germany. Costco actually had the best rate (with Enterprise) beating even US corp corporate rates.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:49 am

Programs: Bonvoy - Ambassador; AS - MVP Gold
Smile

Wow... had never heard of autoslash before. Very cool idea. My only problem with them so far is every time I get an email with a better rate it's with Hertz which requires a commitment and prepayment. Doesn't that defeat the purpose? I don't want to lock myself into a rental. Would be great if the people over at auto slash had an option to opt out of rates which require prepayment.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I reserved a car with Alamo via Costco but it would not allow me to enter my Insider # to do "Skip the Line" at MCO. If I do "online check in" and then "skip the line" will I invalidate any of my costco rez? Esp concerned about free additional driver being removed.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 6:59 pm
Original Member

I would call Alamo to add to reservation.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 7:43 pm

my experience...

Originally Posted by SoCalNorCal
Wow... had never heard of autoslash before. Very cool idea. My only problem with them so far is every time I get an email with a better rate it's with Hertz which requires a commitment and prepayment. Doesn't that defeat the purpose? I don't want to lock myself into a rental. Would be great if the people over at auto slash had an option to opt out of rates which require prepayment.
in the "zillion" times i've used autoslash, and being presented with a hertz option, I've never had to make a commitment or prepay, so not sure why you have experienced it. perhaps ask them what is triggering it for you...
Old Feb 21, 2017, 10:43 am

Beware calling Alamo

Called Alamo and the representative said she could not add my number to the reservation because it was reserved through Costco. Worse, she cancelled the reservation and rebooked with my number, at more than double the price.

Originally Posted by seawolf
I would call Alamo to add to reservation.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 11:33 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by mathprof
Called Alamo and the representative said she could not add my number to the reservation because it was reserved through Costco. Worse, she cancelled the reservation and rebooked with my number, at more than double the price.
With Costo and Enterprise, it was possible to add number on enterprise website after the reservation was made on costco.com

Try calling Costco and see if they can book and add number at the same time.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I reserved a car with Alamo via Costco but it would not allow me to enter my Insider # to do "Skip the Line" at MCO. If I do "online check in" and then "skip the line" will I invalidate any of my costco rez? Esp concerned about free additional driver being removed.
If you start a reservation on costcotravel.com, then click the "Terms & Conditions" link below the alamo rate, it will show the Contract ID and/or Coupon Code being used.

You can then go to Alamo.com, log in with your account info, and use these to get the same rate and benefits from a direct booking.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by swag
If you start a reservation on costcotravel.com, then click the "Terms & Conditions" link below the alamo rate, it will show the Contract ID and/or Coupon Code being used.

You can then go to Alamo.com, log in with your account info, and use these to get the same rate and benefits from a direct booking.
I'm doing this now! And will in the future. But I have a rez I made a few weeks back that I need to add skip the line to and the rate today is higher on alamo.com, even with the codes.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:43 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by swag

Thanks. Didn't realize that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.