Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Alamo Agent: Soon To Halt Re-Bookings For Lower Prices [untrue per Alamo/Twitter]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alamo Agent: Soon To Halt Re-Bookings For Lower Prices [untrue per Alamo/Twitter]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2015, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Global Entry, United Silver, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold

According to an Alamo counter agent at Tucson today, the company will soon implement measures to prevent customers from rebooking at a lower cost if rental prices drop. In other words, once you make your reservation, you're done, and you can't rebook at a lower cost for the same rental period and location. He had no concrete information on exactly how Alamo would go about doing this, but did say it would also likely be a policy that the entire Enterprise holdings (Enterprise, Alamo, and National) would implement.

Last edited by flyerfmaz; Nov 28, 2015 at 2:11 pm
Old Nov 28, 2015, 3:29 pm

But surely you can cancel the now more expensive reservation, and create a new one with the same parameters and lower cost? If not, it would imply 2 things: 1) They will go the way of airlines and require non-refundable prepaid bookings for all. 2) You can cancel but not re-book with the same parameters.

If that happens, they can expect a large scale exodus. This will be especially true of managed corporate travel departments. Employees often can not make business plans so far in advance, so companies view cost-effective, flexible ground transportation options as absorbing much of that variability.

I am also curious about the timing. A basic analysis of this board shows that the beginnings of outflow are already happening, but for other reasons. A few years ago, as Hertz rapidly went downhill, there was a big push to convert dissatisfied travel departments that had stayed with Hertz presumably out of habit to National. This took the form of massive advertising, a better pricing plan, and promises of an added bonus of happier employees who would get to choose their car and earn better rewards. Now it seems there's some talk of companies switching from National to Avis, or from Hertz straight to Avis, probably due to the bottom line.

Either National doesn't realize what is happening, and/or doesn't care to chase companies who don't share its view of itself as worth paying a lot more for. Hopefully they don't take this too far and become myopic like Hertz.

Last edited by Auto Enthusiast; Nov 28, 2015 at 3:41 pm
Old Nov 28, 2015, 4:13 pm

My personal opinion...

Originally Posted by flyerfmaz
According to an Alamo counter agent at Tucson today, the company will soon implement measures to prevent customers from rebooking at a lower cost if rental prices drop. In other words, once you make your reservation, you're done, and you can't rebook at a lower cost for the same rental period and location. He had no concrete information on exactly how Alamo would go about doing this, but did say it would also likely be a policy that the entire Enterprise holdings (Enterprise, Alamo, and National) would implement.
notwithstanding the "counter agent", I don't believe it. And keeping in mind how fantastic (sarcasm) the Alamo online site guru's are, wouldn't take much to slightly modify the reservation to get around their limp attempts. Still think it's total bs (ok, so I've been wrong twice in my life, but that involved women...)
Old Nov 28, 2015, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
But surely you can cancel the now more expensive reservation, and create a new one with the same parameters and lower cost?
Not according to the Alamo agent at TUS. He said that's exactly what would soon be brought to a halt. He said that Alamo was working on adjusting the reservation process so that once you make a reservation, you can cancel it and rebook if you wish, but you're stuck with whatever the rate was when you first booked the reservation. He didn't have specifics on exactly how it would work, but did say that it would probably be tracked by a customer's drivers license number somehow.

My response to him? You'll lose my business.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 2:15 am

Programs: HH Silver
In my experience, they have been doing something similar to this for a long time. I have never been able to adjust my reservation and get the lower price, I always have to cancel it and book a new one. Other than adding a cancellation fee, I seriously doubt they will be able to do anything like this. To many ways around it, such as booking in a spouses name, using expedia, etc, etc, etc.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 9:45 am

Exactly.

Originally Posted by tatterdema
In my experience, they have been doing something similar to this for a long time. I have never been able to adjust my reservation and get the lower price, I always have to cancel it and book a new one. Other than adding a cancellation fee, I seriously doubt they will be able to do anything like this. To many ways around it, such as booking in a spouses name, using expedia, etc, etc, etc.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

In my experience, they have been doing something similar to this for a long time. I have never been able to adjust my reservation and get the lower price, I always have to cancel it and book a new one.
Rebooking and canceling still provides us with the ability to ride the wave of supply and demand, and get the best price possible, should we choose to do that. What the Alamo agent was saying was that even a canceled reservation will not be able to be rebooked at a lower cost.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 5:34 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
At the moment, the only thing Alamo requires for me to make a reservation is my name.

I just don't think they can go it alone in requiring much more information in order to implement this plan.

Additionally, like FA's in the airline industry, I think there is virtually 0% chance that a line agent knows something about confidential moves their company is going to make.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lougord99
Additionally, like FA's in the airline industry, I think there is virtually 0% chance that a line agent knows something about confidential moves their company is going to make.
I've engaged Alamo through Twitter and the latest response is that they're investigating the claim by the counter agent and will get back to me. I gave them enough information so they can probably figure out who it was that said this. If he's right, we deserve to know. If he's wrong, he deserves to be called on the carpet.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 9:58 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by flyerfmaz
My response to him? You'll lose my business.
That would be my response too.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 11:23 am
Original Poster

I heard back from Alamo via Twitter and they've confirmed that what the counter agent said was NOT true. Alamo has no plans to change their re-booking policy. While this is very good to know, I've suggested to Alamo that they may wish to speak with their staff at the Tucson airport location to be sure this sort of disinformation isn't spread further.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 4:13 am

Programs: HH Silver
Thanks for following up! Some agents just do not know when to keep their mouths shut. When I have gotten really good rates, I have had agents congratulate me on it, and agents actively look for ways to invalidate it, like I am stealing from them. Same thing with hotels.

Thats why I really do not like renting at smaller locations where you are forced to go to the counter.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Thanks for following up! Some agents just do not know when to keep their mouths shut. When I have gotten really good rates, I have had agents congratulate me on it, and agents actively look for ways to invalidate it, like I am stealing from them. Same thing with hotels.

Thats why I really do not like renting at smaller locations where you are forced to go to the counter.
Almost all of my rentals lately are at TUS airport, and like you I positively hate going to the counter. I've already selected my options and even "checked in" online, yet as you've pointed out, especially at the smaller locations, the counter agents can't wait to try to upsell you on a bunch of junk and generally screw around with things.

EVEN SO -- I have to admit that Alamo at TUS is a whole lot better than Hertz at TUS. The Hertz cars are a lot of smoked-in, old crap. At least Alamo has mostly new cars that are clean. For that, I don't mind the upsell behavior at the counter but it is annoying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.