Geesh, Budget Truck Rental

Old Oct 9, 2015, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Geesh, Budget Truck Rental

Using my AARP (sigh) 20% discount, I get a quote of $800, including taxes, to rent a 12' truck, one way from Santa Clara, CA, to Vegas. And Budget seems to be the "cheapest". Oh, and this is NOT on the weekend, nor end of month, when moving is at the highest frequency, this is mid-week.

Anyone have any tricks, suggestions...?

UPDATE... got it down to $650 after trolling the internet for magic codes...

Last edited by randix; Oct 11, 2015 at 10:32 pm
Old Oct 14, 2015, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Just in case you're about to get dinged...

As an additional follow up to my Budget truck rental from Santa Clara, CA, to LAS...

1. So I made a reservation for X price.

2. Subsequently I found a discount coupon (there are plenty, SEARCH), that reduced the price significantly. So I made a reservation for Y price, wanting to make sure it went thru, before I cancelled my earlier reservation.

3. The booking site does not offer a cancel option (for my first reservation). Says to call.

4. I call. The lady says there will be a $50 cancellation charge! I say, what? No where on the booking site does it say there's a cancellation charge. I raise holy heck. Line goes quiet and she comes back and says they'll do me a favor THIS TIME, and waive the cancellation fee (for those who read my other threads, this EXACT thing happened to me on a hotel booking reservation with Orbitz in the past couple of weeks).

5. My first reservation gets cancelled, I pay no cancellation fee.

6. When I go to pick up my truck, I ask the customer service rep about the cancellation fee. He says there's NO cancellation fee unless you FAIL to show up and rent the truck. He said since I called to cancel on a weekend, the staffing they have on the weekend are the "B team". He suggested I call back and complain, I tell him, I'll take a pass on this one...

So if you make a Budget truck reservation, you can cancel it with NO cancellation fee so long as you do it prior to your rental, according to the agent I saw face to face. Honestly, I didn't see anything about ANY cancellation fee on the website, so exercise caution.

fyi and fwiw

oh, the balance of the trip went without incident, return no issues. gawd those trucks suck up fuel
Old Oct 21, 2015, 11:16 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Was that the base rate, or including the mileage? Years ago we rented a UHaul 10-footer to move from Mississippi to Michigan, and it totaled about $800, so 800 from CA to Vegas seems high.

And yeah, we got about 10 mpg, all highway. Why those trucks, especially the bigger ones, don't have diesel engines is beyond me...
Old Oct 21, 2015, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Yep...

Originally Posted by strickerj
Was that the base rate, or including the mileage? Years ago we rented a UHaul 10-footer to move from Mississippi to Michigan, and it totaled about $800, so 800 from CA to Vegas seems high.

And yeah, we got about 10 mpg, all highway. Why those trucks, especially the bigger ones, don't have diesel engines is beyond me...
$800 was the rate (12' truck) from Santa Clara to LAS from Budget, although I subsequently got it down to $675. It did include unlimited mileage, however, those figures do NOT include tax. Budget was WAY cheaper than U-Haul or Penske.

Crazy (to me) pricing for the service, but not a lot of other cost effective options (for me)...

Storage rates in LAS are 1/3 of what they charge for storage rates around San Francisco.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 12:26 pm

Ah. For my trip UHaul's base rate was pretty low but didn't include any free miles. (I think the rate was around 60 cents a mile at the time.)

As an aside, I rented a 16' truck and car carrier from Budget a few years later to make the same drive. I don't remember anything about the price, just that it was a Ford E350 with the 4.6L engine (all my UHaul rentals had been GMC trucks), and it was completely gutless when loaded. Also I spent the night enroute, and it was stuck in the snow the next morning. Good times...
Old Oct 26, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite (Lifetime Platinum)

They don't have diesel engines because the engines are a lot more expensive, and it's the renter who is paying the fuel. Since most people compare on price, it would be hard for them to recapture the cost in higher rental fees.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 5:56 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
You can put a gasoline filling hose into a diesel filling tube - not the other way around. There is no way, as a rental company, that I am going to take the chance of my customer filling my diesel engine with gasoline.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by dchirsch
They don't have diesel engines because the engines are a lot more expensive, and it's the renter who is paying the fuel. Since most people compare on price, it would be hard for them to recapture the cost in higher rental fees.
That's true, I guess there's no incentive for them to pay the extra upfront. Still, diesel engines tend to last longer and command higher resale values. I wouldn't buy a gas truck with 200k miles, which is how long Budget and UHaul seem to keep theirs...
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
That's true, I guess there's no incentive for them to pay the extra upfront. Still, diesel engines tend to last longer and command higher resale values. I wouldn't buy a gas truck with 200k miles, which is how long Budget and UHaul seem to keep theirs...
You might not buy one, but there's certainly a market. I see lots of box trucks that have obviously had the Budget/UHaul/Penske/etc logos stripped off.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
You might not buy one, but there's certainly a market. I see lots of box trucks that have obviously had the Budget/UHaul/Penske/etc logos stripped off.
Yeah actually the FedEx driver that came by the other day had one, lol.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.