Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Insure My Rental Car; Opinions/Experiences?

Old Aug 29, 2015, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Anyone have opinions or experiences with this site...

https://www.insuremyrentalcar.com

I note they ONLY offer primary coverage for loss, damage to the rental vehicle, etc., NOT liability coverage.

If anyone has used their services, especially if a claim was involved, I'd be curious to hear your experience.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: Global Entry, United Silver, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by randix
Anyone have opinions or experiences with this site...

https://www.insuremyrentalcar.com

I note they ONLY offer primary coverage for loss, damage to the rental vehicle, etc., NOT liability coverage.

If anyone has used their services, especially if a claim was involved, I'd be curious to hear your experience.
Had a look at the site -- they claim to be "ground breaking", but similar services such as TravelGuard have been in operation for years. As far as I know, none of these third party insurance firms offer liability. Liability insurance is normally provided through your private auto insurance policy or, for those who don't have liability, it can be purchased through the car rental company (for a princely sum, but better than nothing at all). Alamo, for example, charges $13.95/day for what they call "Extended Protection", which includes $1 million in liability.

I can't stress enough the importance of NOT, NOT, NOT renting (or for that matter, owning and operating) any car at all without adequate liability insurance. Policies like that sold by InsureMyRentalCar provide coverage for the rental vehicle only. If you get into an accident where someone else is injured and you don't have liability insurance you're done. Over and out.
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Do not use this company - a scam

Poor experience. Their insurance is not acceptable to many international car rental companies, in particular Sixt in the UK, who refused to accept it and would not let me take my rental car without their insurance, despite Inuremeyrental car company accepting my monies for international insurance. Insuremyrental car then refused a refund stating that it would have to be made 10 days from initiation, although I was traveling extensively in Europe and did not have extensive internet access to complain. Very poor service and in my opinion, a scam.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Allanchrister
Poor experience. Their insurance is not acceptable to many international car rental companies, in particular Sixt in the UK, who refused to accept it and would not let me take my rental car without their insurance, despite Inuremeyrental car company accepting my monies for international insurance. Insuremyrental car then refused a refund stating that it would have to be made 10 days from initiation, although I was traveling extensively in Europe and did not have extensive internet access to complain. Very poor service and in my opinion, a scam.
From the avis.co.uk website: Are you already covered for using a rental car on any other insurance policy or agreement? Check your personal car insurance, home insurance, car breakdown cover or credit card insurance.

From the sixt.co.uk website:

Can I use my own insurance for a hire car?
No, it is not permitted to use personal insurance for a hire car unless the hire is on a business account.

Perhaps your complaint should be with Sixt.
jackal likes this.
Old May 3, 2022, 5:13 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Note that as of this post they are no longer writing new policies. See website.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.