Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Discount Hawaii Car Rental ad a Aloha Rent a Car

Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis

I just wanted to give these brahs a shout out, as I've been using them for several years and will wash, rinse and repeat this November. The actual business is a broker that contracts for stipulated rates with the common rental car companies on site. That means they are an authorized booking agent with negotiated rates, not a rental company. They've been around since 2000.

Discount Hawaii Car Rental
Maui, Honolulu, Kauai, Kona,
Hilo and Molokai car rentals
1-800-292-1930 or (808) 292-1930
http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com
[email protected] for inquiries

My cars from Discount Hawaii have been rentals arranged with Dollar and Alamo on the Big Island, for example. I pick up and return at their lots (via the KOA rental shuttle) and drop off there, too, and sign their contracts. But the rates I've paid have always been lower than what those same companies wanted from me when I compared them.

This November a full sized car is $138 (and cents) for ten days ex-KOA, plus the usual taxes and fees brining it to $237.

No extra fees for an additional driver, and their Young Driver (21 -24) fees are $10 a day rather than the rental company's normal $27 daily, because that's in their contract with the rental car company. No prepayment or deposits, no cancellation penalties.

Years ago, I was a bit leery. After using this company a number of times, I continue using them and am satisfied, and recommend them.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by JDiver
I just wanted to give these brahs a shout out, as I've been using them for several years and will wash, rinse and repeat this November. The actual business is a broker that contracts for stipulated rates with the common rental car companies on site. That means they are an authorized booking agent with negotiated rates, not a rental company. They've been around since 2000.

Discount Hawaii Car Rental
Maui, Honolulu, Kauai, Kona,
Hilo and Molokai car rentals
1-800-292-1930 or (808) 292-1930
http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com
[email protected] for inquiries

My cars from Discount Hawaii have been rentals arranged with Dollar and Alamo on the Big Island, for example. I pick up and return at their lots (via the KOA rental shuttle) and drop off there, too, and sign their contracts. But the rates I've paid have always been lower than what those same companies wanted from me when I compared them.

This November a full sized car is $138 (and cents) for ten days ex-KOA, plus the usual taxes and fees brining it to $237.

No extra fees for an additional driver, and their Young Driver (21 -24) fees are $10 a day rather than the rental company's normal $27 daily, because that's in their contract with the rental car company. No prepayment or deposits, no cancellation penalties.

Years ago, I was a bit leery. After using this company a number of times, I continue using them and am satisfied, and recommend them.
I have used them about five times, and always gotten good rates and had zero problems.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, WN CP
Thanks, it looks good, but I just did a price comparison with Costco and Costco is still coming out $15-30 cheaper.

For example:
fullsize OGG
9/16-9/20

Costco: $115
Discount Hawaii : $138

Of course YMMV
Old Sep 9, 2015, 9:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

When I was under 25 I used to use them- and they can have good rates. But they are fixed it seems so can be beat sometimes.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: Global Entry, United Silver, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Sunburn644
Thanks, it looks good, but I just did a price comparison with Costco and Costco is still coming out $15-30 cheaper.

For example:
fullsize OGG
9/16-9/20

Costco: $115
Discount Hawaii : $138

Of course YMMV
Agree with you on Costco. I've booked a car at Maui for next April through Costco and so far no one else beats the price. Of course, it's still a ways out and I'll keep checking for the best deal.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 12:29 pm

guys, I'm a newbie Kauai/Maui visitor (next week). My predicament is trying to decide which are is best for 2 people to drive there - Corolla or Altima? The driver is 6 ft. tall and we don't have any bags. I don't foresee heavy-duty driving, as someone else is driving us on Road to Hana and Haleakala sunrise (yep, we're tourists!). Any advice on choice of car? Costco seems cheapest on Corollas. Thanks.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: Global Entry, United Silver, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jubujoy
guys, I'm a newbie Kauai/Maui visitor (next week). My predicament is trying to decide which are is best for 2 people to drive there - Corolla or Altima? The driver is 6 ft. tall and we don't have any bags. I don't foresee heavy-duty driving, as someone else is driving us on Road to Hana and Haleakala sunrise (yep, we're tourists!). Any advice on choice of car? Costco seems cheapest on Corollas. Thanks.
Maui is a small island and you're not going to do so much driving that a smaller car will be a significant issue. A Corolla is a bit of a tin can compared to an Altima, but if it's a whole lot cheaper and you have no special needs that would require a larger car, just go for the Corolla.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 5:12 pm

I'm also headed to Hawaii in November so I have been pricing a rental. I'm confused as to why I am getting a much better price when using expedia.ca then when I use any US site? I try Nov 9-12 on Discount Hawaii I get $127ish. I try costco travel $119. Exepedia.ca gives me the Can equivalent of 118USD but expedia.com gives me $138?

Any Canadians run into this before? I'm wondering if there is some hidden fee or something I am going to slapped with for conversion or something to make up for it being oddly cheaper??

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.