Wiki Posts
Search

So how does the fuel option work?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
So how does the fuel option work?

I haven't been renting cars very often, in fact have only done it once for a trip to Nashville earlier this month, before I have always taken public transit.

Will be renting a car again in a few months for my Burbank/Pasadena/Bakersfield trip.

Already booked my trip. Got an economy car for 11 bucks a day at BUR. Holy cow!!! ^ What a deal.

I will be staying in Pasadena, and one of the days I am there I am going to drive to Bakersfield to watch a volleyball game. Google maps says Pasadena to Bakersfield is about a 2 hour drive.

Since I figure that much driving the tank should be at about a quarter when I return it so I will just purchase the fuel option at the rental counter as I dont really want to stop and do it myself.

I have heard that the fuel option you basically pay for a full tank of gas regardless of how much you actually use, so it is a terrible deal if you are just driving a few places within town, but if you will be basically using most of the tank it can work out ok.

Would there ever be a case you all would purchase the fuel option rather than fill it yourself?

Also I hate big city traffic, I hope Burbank to Pasadena and I-5 to Bakersfield isnt too terrible. Have heard horror stories of LA area traffic.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I never pre-pay for fuel. I do not find it unduly burdensome to fill up the tank before returning the car. But if putting gas in the car is something you'd rather not do, then pre-purchasing fuel for this particular rental does not seem like a terrible idea, as long as you don't mind paying for a few unused gallons for the convenience.

There are occasions when a rental car has less than a full tank when you pick it up. In that case the agency will typically let you pre-pay for however much fuel is actually in the tank (3/4, 1/2, etc.) But if you're picking up at BUR Airport, I'd be surprised if the tank were not full.

What are you doing about insurance for the rental?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:05 pm

Programs: Global Entry, United Silver, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold
Anything other than refilling the tank yourself makes the rental company more money. Even if you "buy the tank" and show up with the tank near empty, the rental company is still profiting from the gas you've left in the car.

This may come down to a decision (on your part) as to what your time is worth. I always refill the tanks before return -- no matter what -- and have never done anything else. I refuse to give the car rental companies one cent more than necessary.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Traffic depends on time of day. If you can avoid rush hours you should be ok on those routes. What time of day are you driving back to the airport?

And I, too, always bring the car back full. YMMV
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I never pre-pay for fuel. I do not find it unduly burdensome to fill up the tank before returning the car. But if putting gas in the car is something you'd rather not do, then pre-purchasing fuel for this particular rental does not seem like a terrible idea, as long as you don't mind paying for a few unused gallons for the convenience.

There are occasions when a rental car has less than a full tank when you pick it up. In that case the agency will typically let you pre-pay for however much fuel is actually in the tank (3/4, 1/2, etc.) But if you're picking up at BUR Airport, I'd be surprised if the tank were not full.

What are you doing about insurance for the rental?
For insurance my Chase Sapphire Preferred handles that. Which is great that it is primary as I don't have a personal auto insurance policy. I drive a 17 year old car and only have the bare minimum liability insurance that I need to drive legally.

A few days before my trip I will check some prices online for gas stations near BUR and if they are a good bit cheaper than the fuel option the rental counter gives me I will just fill it myself. My flight home doesnt leave until 11 am anyway so not like I will be rushing for an early flight. Besides I might need to get gas anyway, Not sure even with an economy car I could get round trip to Bakersfield on one tank.

Also I will be arriving in Burbank at about 9 am on a Friday morning, will drive to Pasadena and stay there the rest of the day. I will do the Bakersfield drive on Saturday, return to Burbank airport from Pasadena probably about 9 ish on Sunday morning.

Last edited by Dadaluma83; Jul 29, 2015 at 11:19 pm Reason: Added in what I will be doing
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"I drive a 17 year old car and only have the bare minimum liability insurance that I need to drive legally."

Does your personal auto policy cover you for third-party liability when driving a rental car in California? If so, better bring a copy of your policy with you as renters in California are required to have third-party liability coverage, and California does not require the rental companies to provide any free liability insurance to renters. That said, use of certain association/organization discount codes (like AARP, USAA) with certain rental car companies will get you free (usually minimal) liabiity coverage at participating locations -- even in California.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:32 pm
Suspended

It will always be cheaper to fill your gas tank up yourself. There is no need to do any research.

Traffic shouldn't be too bad on arrival, and should be fine for your drives to Bakersfield and back to the airport.

I assume you have a relative you will see in Bakersfield? Otherwise, that's a fair amount of boring driving.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:49 am

Programs: LCAH Gold
Hi Dadaluma !

I would also definitely not recommend to buy any refueling options, the rental company will charge you a fixed price for the service, plus the full tank of gas (which is generally largely overpriced).

I was always offered this option at a cost of €100 to €120 by Hertz France, for a medium-sized car, which never sounded like a bargain, as I refilled the full tank for about €50.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Buaires
Hi Dadaluma !

I would also definitely not recommend to buy any refueling options, the rental company will charge you a fixed price for the service, plus the full tank of gas (which is generally largely overpriced).

I was always offered this option at a cost of €100 to €120 by Hertz France, for a medium-sized car, which never sounded like a bargain, as I refilled the full tank for about €50.
The OP is not talking about the refueling option; he is talking about the prepaid fuel option, whereby he pays for a full tank of fuel at the start of the rental. The prepaid fuel option typically allows the renter to purchase the full tank from the car-rental company at roughly the same price per gallon charged by local gas stations; it's only the after-rental re-fueling option that involves much higher per gallon prices.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:04 am

Programs: Global Entry, United Silver, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold

The OP is not talking about the refueling option; he is talking about the prepaid fuel option, whereby he pays for a full tank of fuel at the start of the rental. The prepaid fuel option typically allows the renter to purchase the full tank from the car-rental company at roughly the same price per gallon charged by local gas stations; it's only the after-rental re-fueling option that involves much higher per gallon prices.
The prepaid option is still a rip. Even if you're going on a long trip and will burn several tanks of gas, whatever gas is left in the tank when you return the car is free to the rental company. Unless, of course, you're willing to try to time things right so you're basically running on fumes when you drive in to return the car.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerfmaz

The prepaid option is still a rip. Even if you're going on a long trip and will burn several tanks of gas, whatever gas is left in the tank when you return the car is free to the rental company. Unless, of course, you're willing to try to time things right so you're basically running on fumes when you drive in to return the car.
The OP understands that, but was apparently willing to consider eating the cost of the unused fuel to avoid the inconvenience of having to refuel the car before returning it. You and I might not feel that way, but different people place different values on their time and inconvenience. And that's OK.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

My personal auto liability only covers me when I am driving my own car, the Chase Sapphire preferred only covers damage, theft, or loss of use so I don't have rental car liability.

So California makes the renter have liability and the company doesnt have to provide it? So can I purchase liability from the rental agency at the counter? I will still decline the collision damage one as my credit card covers it.

Must have been different in Tennessee when I rented in Nashville, was never told about liability, just asked by the agent if I wanted to purchase the collision waiver and declined since I told the agent my credit card covered it, didn't ask about liability and the agent never told me about it. I just kept my mouth shut.

I'll probably just fill up on my own in Burbank before returning the car since I dont think I would be able to get round trip to bakersfield on one tank. Also I am going to Bakersfield because I am going up there to watch a college volleyball game. I am originally going on this trip because of the US vs Mexico game at the rose bowl that Friday, will stay an extra day and drive up to Bakersfield saturday since my alma mater is playing a volleyball game there and since I am so close might as well see it.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:34 pm
Suspended

You must love volleyball a whole lot to drive that far to that boring a place to watch a game. Me? I'd go to the beach if I were in LA.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"So California makes the renter have liability and the company doesnt have to provide it? So can I purchase liability from the rental agency at the counter?"

Yes, and maybe. From which company are you renting? If it's a major, then you will certainly be offered the option of purchasing SLI for a daily fee. If it's a small, local company, I would make sure that they offer SLI before you arrive at BUR.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just by way of example, here's what Hertz has to say about third-party liability in California:

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/reser...ES&EOAG=MSPT11

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.