Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Who pays for parking tickets on rental cars?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2015, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Hello everyone,

I am creating this thread just out of curiosity.

When I rent cars for traveling, I never really bother to pay for parking when renting. Well, sometimes I do notice that I am left with a ticket on the windshield, but I never asked myself who has been paying for all this. Certainly not me.

Isn't this so weird? Do they go to the ticket heaven?
Old Jul 13, 2015, 3:20 pm

Programs: Global Entry, United Silver, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold
I've never had a ticket so I can't speak from personal experience, but what is supposed to happen is that the car rental company gets the ticket and then passes it on to the renter, usually with a rather substantial administrative fee. It may take a while for these things to catch up to you, so don't be surprised one day if your unwillingness to pay for parking comes back and bites you.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

take a while?
I've been waiting two years, never had any one them coming back. I guess it helps if you have a lock on the card.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:26 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
And I wouldn't be surprised if the rental car company puts a lock on you and refuses to rent to you.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 9:17 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta Million Miler,Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Delta Sky Club
Originally Posted by lougord99
And I wouldn't be surprised if the rental car company puts a lock on you and refuses to rent to you.
I'm guessing the OP is trolling as this is his/her first and second posts and he/she seems to have started with a very provocative first post - but just in case this is a real question, then the OP is going to have a real tough time renting from that car rental company again.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Just wait until you get clamped...
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Just wait until you get clamped...
That won't happen because it is always a different car.

I agree, however, that we should not feed this one.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Vladmir Golobovic
Hello everyone,

When I rent cars for traveling, I never really bother to pay for parking when renting. Well, sometimes I do notice that I am left with a ticket on the windshield, but I never asked myself who has been paying for all this. Certainly not me.

Cannot speak for every car rental place but National/Alamo and one assumes therefore Enterprise receive tickets from most areas of the USA electronically to a central office (somewhere in Oklahoma IIRC). This happens within days of it being issued and they pay at once. In turn National or whatever will bill the credit card associated with the rental the price of said ticket plus a fee.

When this happened to me contacted National saying was going to fight the ticket but they pulled rug from under by paying at once. Was told "National cannot afford to have its vehicles with outstanding tickets which could lead to liabilities and or inconvenience our customers. If you are successful in disputing the ticket forward the information to us and we will reverse the charge to your credit card".

It must have something to do with the registration that large vehicle fleet owners (rental, UPS, Time Warner, etc...) have tickets sent electronically. Otherwise everyone would say they didn't get the thing on their windshield. Here in NYC for personal vehicles you get not only a ticket on the windshield but a copy is forwarded by mail to the address on registration.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by BugsyPal
When this happened to me contacted National saying was going to fight the ticket but they pulled rug from under by paying at once. Was told "National cannot afford to have its vehicles with outstanding tickets which could lead to liabilities and or inconvenience our customers. If you are successful in disputing the ticket forward the information to us and we will reverse the charge to your credit card".
I'm not really sure how this is "pulling the rug"? Tickets can take months to fight because of bureaucratic backlogs.

Meanwhile, if National/Alamo has cars on the road that are boot or tow eligible, some poor sap is going to lose his rental because a previous renter got tickets?
Old Aug 6, 2015, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by hughc99
I'm not really sure how this is "pulling the rug"? Tickets can take months to fight because of bureaucratic backlogs.

Meanwhile, if National/Alamo has cars on the road that are boot or tow eligible, some poor sap is going to lose his rental because a previous renter got tickets?
Yes, one understands that *now*, but at the time my response was the usual from most NYer's issued a ticket for being on a hydrant.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 4:59 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Hello everyone,

The car rental company can and often will bill you for the outstanding summons. The rental company owns the vehicle so they get the unpaid notice. The rental company knows who had the the vehicle rented at the time the ticket was issued. If you have not gotten charged you have been lucky. Your luck may run out one day though.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:52 am

take a while?
I've been waiting two years, never had any one them coming back. I guess it helps if you have a lock on the card.
Perhaps FlyerTalk should put a lock on you. You have posted 2 "I am just curious" messages on FlyerTalk.

You are a really curious person.

DON
Old Sep 4, 2015, 6:05 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by donaldsc
Perhaps FlyerTalk should put a lock on you. You have posted 2 "I am just curious" messages on FlyerTalk.

You are a really curious person.

DON
Yes. And both posts were about scams.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.