Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

NO one way fee for visitors from outside the USA ?!

Old Jul 2, 2015, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Is it true that all rental companies in US do not charge ONE WAY FEE to foreigners/ visitors from abroad?
Old Jul 2, 2015, 7:14 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

I've never heard this and my foreign boss rented several times in the US when I was with him and he wasn't excused of them. Where'd you see this?
Old Jul 2, 2015, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by feivel_03
Is it true that all rental companies in US do not charge ONE WAY FEE to foreigners/ visitors from abroad?
No, it's not true. Each rental-car company has its own policies.

Some rental-car companies might not charge one-way fees to anyone, but will charge a higher daily rate for one-ways than for returns to the renting location.

Welcome to FT!
Old Jul 2, 2015, 10:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
In my experience with one-ways, the more popular model these days is a higher daily rate for a one-way rental. That could be why you aren't seeing a line-item fee for the drop-off.

I still see a drop-off fee once in a while, and rarer still is a regular (low) daily rate and a per-mile charge. So those pricing models are still out there... It's just that usually, I pop in my two cities and see a higher daily rate and that's it. The pricing already bakes in a drop fee, kind of... For two cities within a day's drive of each other, there's sometimes an incentive to make the trip quickly and car-swap to a regular local rental if necessary when you get there.

I was surprised in Europe when I priced a BCN-NCE one way rental and noticed a 300 euro drop charge!! It was very clear that they did *not* want their Spanish rental cars getting dropped off outside the country, even a short-ish drive away in France. In the U.S., at least for most of the regional one-ways I've done, the pricing is usually sane. It's completely normal to get a rental car with out-of-state tags for a local rental, so it's not like the receiving location has to immediately send it back to its "home".
Old Jul 2, 2015, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
I've never heard this and my foreign boss rented several times in the US when I was with him and he wasn't excused of them. Where'd you see this?
http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-...oad_Trips.html
Guess we should call the car rentals

Originally Posted by guv1976

Welcome to FT!
Thank you!
Old Jul 7, 2015, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I have heard in the past of those booking fly 'n drive packages getting good OW rates but this may be due to the packager guaranteeing an equal amount of rental business between two given cities so that cars are not stranded. It won't be available through regular commercial channels for rental-only bookings though.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 12:26 am

Programs: Emerald Club Executive Elite, Hertz President ś Circle , AF- KLM Flying Blue, BA Executive Club
It allmost felt that way a couple of years ago.
National charged only $ 295.
But with the position of the Euro against the US Dollar...
Who cared ??

So the answer to the question is NO !
Having said that ; Within California and Florida is no Drop Fee.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 12:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by bedeve
Who cared ??

There definitely IS a drop off fee in California for all companies I've ever looked at. I would be very surprised if FL did not have drop off fees, though there are special times of the year when FL eliminates the fee to get people to drive cars out of the state. That is a particular, limited promotion.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 12:58 am

Programs: Emerald Club Executive Elite, Hertz President ś Circle , AF- KLM Flying Blue, BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
There definitely IS a drop off fee in California for all companies I've ever looked at. I would be very surprised if FL did not have drop off fees,
Check it Out !

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
there are special times of the year when FL eliminates the fee to get people to drive cars out of the state. That is a particular, limited promotion.
And thats the same with the question in this thread.
There are bookers like Expedia and Rentalcars and even Alamo UK who sometimes waive the one way fee for a limited period.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 6:01 am

The FL driveout is different than the other "deals." It's not just no drop charge, as in the roundtrip price the same as one-way, but one-way prices cheaper than roundtrip.

The special rates for foreign tourists probably assume roughly equal flow in each direction. It's not a matter of cars being stranded, between corporate stores, but the amount of cars staying relatively constant in each.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 12:56 am

Rent a car didn't charge me one, and I don't remember them having a different policy for foreigners regarding that
Old Jul 19, 2015, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
No. Hertz do.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
The FL driveout is different than the other "deals." It's not just no drop charge, as in the roundtrip price the same as one-way, but one-way prices cheaper than roundtrip.
Back when gas was $4+, most of the major rental companies were offering cars for $1/day through their FL Driveout promotions. This year, it was $9.95/day for economy through full size cars.

Some companies also had a similar "Driveout" promotion in Arizona. I'm not sure if that was new this year or not.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 6:42 am

The AZ drive out in the spring, and more limited drive in during the fall, typically occur each year. The prices tend to be at least $19/day for a compact. Returns are sometimes allowed as far as OH.

Gas probably wasn't why the FL driveout increased prices. That happened around the time Hertz bought Dollar Thrifty, whose one way specials were previously always $1/day for a midsize. Hertz back then offered subcompacts at $5/day. The special rose to $19/day for economy through fullsize for a few years, led by Avis, then dropped steadily to $9 during the spring. Now it's usually offered at $9 in the beginning.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by bedeve
Who cared ??

Why did you turn your PM function off? LOL!

I would be appreciated if you could PM me some other good codes for Alamo.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.