Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Alamo DCA... the ultimate "stick it 2 ya"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2015, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

First off, let me say that Alamo is one of my favorite car rental vendors... often they offer low prices, every year I stock up on Discover America coupons for Alamo, they have kiosks pretty much everywhere I rent so I spend ZERO time at the counter, and I love the fact they do not charge deposits (love it!)...the only hold is the amount of your anticipated rental.

So it takes great pain for me to report on something I've just learned from a very credible source...and this applies to the DCA location only at Alamo. I certainly hope it's not a standard industry practice or done at other locations, although I guess I'm now (more so than before) not that naive...

Like I say, from a very credible source, I've learned that the manager of the Alamo DCA location, has instructed his folks to disable the Alamo kiosks at certain times, in order to "force" all renters to have to talk to the counter people (presumably to get the upsell on insurance, fuel, etc.). I guess that's one way to improve the productivity of his location (my speculation for the action), and I find it disgusting as an Alamo insider, a frequent Alamo renter, and someone who doesn't enjoy having to stand in line FOREVER when there's no legitimate reason why the kiosks are down.

I wouldn't report this if I didn't have it on pretty good authority, and I will be making sure that Alamo upper level management knows about it. Hasn't changed my opinion re Alamo except at the DCA location, but my blood is boiling...
Old May 6, 2015, 7:40 am

Programs: EC Exec
Good Info...

A question regarding this "news"...
1) Has it happened to you?

I only ask because it seems premature to get worked up over something that has not (although it may at some time) impacted your travel yet.

I would absolutely encourage you to share your concerns with the regional and group managers over the DC Area. What you are describing is not encouraged by anyone at the corporate level and if what you are describing is happening it would be easy to track.

The website contact form would be the place to start, but I would also look for the group office (above the DC Airport) contacts and discuss the "situation" with them.

Hopefully what you source described is only a rumor and nothing more... If I come across a more direct route to contact anyone in management I will PM you.
Old May 6, 2015, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Yes, it happened to me...

Originally Posted by FINNISH
A question regarding this "news"...
1) Has it happened to you?

I only ask because it seems premature to get worked up over something that has not (although it may at some time) impacted your travel yet.

I would absolutely encourage you to share your concerns with the regional and group managers over the DC Area. What you are describing is not encouraged by anyone at the corporate level and if what you are describing is happening it would be easy to track.

The website contact form would be the place to start, but I would also look for the group office (above the DC Airport) contacts and discuss the "situation" with them.

Hopefully what you source described is only a rumor and nothing more... If I come across a more direct route to contact anyone in management I will PM you.
I personally experienced the 3 kiosks at DCA being inoperative, I personally stood in line and suffered the consequence, and I personally talked to a credible source who told me the manager had instructed the employees to turn off the kiosks so that all renters would have to deal with the counter folks. I would not have posted here if I was not personally involved. I've already reached out to Alamo executives, and awaiting their response.
Old May 11, 2015, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Update... 5/11/15

For those who follow my saga, I contacted Alamo's executive offices and provided them with a written statement. This afternoon I received a call from a regional representative under which the Alamo DCA location falls, and she in particular is the one who arranges for the kiosks at that location. I found her sincere, she took my complaint seriously, and with my information, is looking into the matter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.