Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Credit card coverage of rental - but no collision/comprehensive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2015, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA

I don't have collision or comprehensive insurance, only liability, on my personal vehicle.

I have an AA Citibank Platinum Visa card which covers theft or damages to rental cars, given all the prerequisites - full amount charged to card, within USA, one driver, etc.

A few weeks ago I rented a car from Enterprise. On the return trip, the windshield was chipped.

So I called Citi in order to start a claim. I said very clearly that I have no collision or comprehensive insurance. The claims agent said we still have to "run it through" my insurance because the card is secondary insurance. I explained that, while I understand it's secondary insurance, there is NO primary insurance in this case, so there is nothing to "run it through."

I offered to print a screenshot of my insurance company coverage, or to obtain a letter from my insurance company saying I don't have comprehensive/collision insurance. But my insurance agent says there is no process in place to "run it through," because the insurance simply doesn't exist.

To paraphrase, he said it would be like my house catching on fire and me trying to make a claim against my life insurance.

Has anyone ever gone through this? Who's right? Did I just speak to the wrong person at Citi?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 6:33 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

I think you spoke to the wrong person. I'd either get a letter from your insurance stating you don't have coverage for the windshield or a copy of your policy showing what is covered. This should suffice.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Citi actually sent me a claim form. It says to include the declaration page from insurance and a notarized statement that I have no other insurance. That should be no problem. I'm just waiting on Enterprise to send their letter now.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 12:41 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
When I used the credit card insurance for a domestic claim, I needed a letter from my insurance agent that I didn't have collision or comprehensive. Didn't seem like a big deal to me.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 8:47 pm

What if you don't have any auto insurance of your own and use CDW? Is just the notarized statement enough?
Old Apr 25, 2015, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

^ I guess I didn't realize that CDW (assuming you're in the U.S.) isn't basically "walk away" insurance.
Old May 4, 2015, 8:47 am

Foeigner driver

Originally Posted by sosafan
When I used the credit card insurance for a domestic claim, I needed a letter from my insurance agent that I didn't have collision or comprehensive. Didn't seem like a big deal to me.
What if you're tourist, wo collision ins. and ONLY your card is the one to ASSIST you???
Old May 4, 2015, 8:53 am

Car insurance issues

Originally Posted by golfaholicdoc
What if you're tourist, wo collision ins. and ONLY your card is the one to ASSIST you???
ANY experience with purchasing temporary (other than your rental Co.) insurance??.
If so, is it cheaper, does it work if you need it??
Thoughts are welcome
Thanks.
Old May 10, 2015, 1:54 pm

Would regular MasterCard (not Gold or Platinum) pay for your windshield chip? (also mind that rental was 17 days, and vehicle worth over $50,000)
Old May 10, 2015, 3:12 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by golfaholicdoc
ANY experience with purchasing temporary (other than your rental Co.) insurance??.
If so, is it cheaper, does it work if you need it??
Thoughts are welcome
Thanks.
I have the American Express Premium Rental Car Protection. For $25/rental, it covers $100,000 in insurance on your rental car. Works great. I use it for rentals when I pickup the car (non-work rentals only). If there's no damage to the car, I take pictures when I return the car and then switch the credit card to one that doesn't have a fee. If there's damage (only 1x so far), I leave it on the AmEx and give them the Avis invoice. Works like a charm.
Old May 10, 2015, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
I have the American Express Premium Rental Car Protection. For $25/rental, it covers $100,000 in insurance on your rental car. Works great. I use it for rentals when I pickup the car (non-work rentals only). If there's no damage to the car, I take pictures when I return the car and then switch the credit card to one that doesn't have a fee. If there's damage (only 1x so far), I leave it on the AmEx and give them the Avis invoice. Works like a charm.
What fee? $25?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.