Search

American Airlines aquires RenoAir

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 1998, 9:18 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz President's Circle
American Airlines aquires RenoAir

FORT WORTH, Texas, Nov. 19 /PRNewswire/ -- In order to enhance its overall airline network and strengthen its presence in the Western United States, American Airlines, a subsidiary of AMR Corporation, said today it has signed a definitive merger agreement to acquire Reno Air for a total cash consideration of $124 million.

The merger agreement provides for a cash tender offer which would commence no later than Wednesday, Nov. 25, 1998 to acquire all of the outstanding common shares of Reno Air at $7.75 per share.

American, which has had a marketing partnership with Reno Air since 1993, said there is virtually no overlap on the routes served by the two carriers.

"Acquiring Reno will give our customers the benefits of a more comprehensive travel network throughout the U.S. and around the globe, " said Don Carty, chairman and CEO of AMR and American Airlines. "Reno's West Coast route system will enhance both the AA network and the networks of our oneworld partners."

"Our customers have told us they want the AA brand more accessible in the West, where we already have a strong east-west presence. This acquisition will offer more service options for our customers and those of our global airline partners, most notably those connecting to and from Cathay Pacific, Qantas and Canadian Airlines," said Carty.

Carty indicated that American was forced to withdraw from the West Coast in the early 1990s, eventually closing its San Jose, Calif., hub and entering into an AAdvantage frequent flyer partnership with Reno Air to maintain a West Coast presence.

Old Nov 19, 1998, 10:48 am
Original Member

Location: London,UK. Ok, about 100 miles from London really, but how many Americans know where Market Harborough is?
Requiescant in pace.
MF

Old Nov 19, 1998, 10:48 am
Original Member

Location: London,UK. Ok, about 100 miles from London really, but how many Americans know where Market Harborough is?
Requiescant in pace.
MF

Old Nov 19, 1998, 12:27 pm
Commander Catcop

I'm guessing what you wrote Merry Flyer in Latin is "rest in peace."

Here's an immediate question: what happens to all those Reno QQuick miles members fo that program earned? Are they converted to AAdvantage miles? CATMAN
Old Nov 19, 1998, 12:47 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz President's Circle
CM:

when reno briefly flew from gulfport,MS to atlanta, i flew them exclusively on that route because i could get that roundtrip for $77-first class! since they pulled out of this area, though, i've only flown them on occasional trips when i'm out west.

i called the QQMiles help desk, and they're saying that "nobody's saying" what will happen to the miles after nine months (they are legally bound not to do anything for nine months). but since a first-class roundtrip on reno is only 25,000, and on american it's probably closer to 50,000, i'll be keeping close attention to this development -- and request a couple of first-class RTs if american announces they're combining/pooling the program miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.