shabbat in paris

Old Aug 11, 2008, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
shabbat in paris

We're going to Paris in winter and would like to arrange to stay in a Jewish neighborhood during shabbat.

A friend mentioned Belleville as an area in Paris with a big Jewish community but I don't know what that is like, or what else exists.

Can you point us towards any of the following?

1) a nice hotel for Friday night

2) a synagogue within walking distance (preferably Sephardic, and welcoming towards women too)

3) interesting places in the neighborhood to walk on shabbat afternoon (we also wouldn't mind prepaying museum tickets if there are any museums nearby)

4) Arranging a prebooked Friday night dinner and shabbat lunch in the area, preferably involving meat and couscous that we could eat sitting down in a local restaurant (or, if that doesn't work, takeout from a local charcuterie or the like).

Does anyone have any experience or ideas?
Old Aug 11, 2008, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Sorry I dont know any specific information, but if nobody is able to help you here I would contact the local Jewish agency in Paris or perhaps where you live and they could direct you to the information you are looking for!
Old Aug 11, 2008, 1:52 pm

You won't want to stay there.

I would look at either the 4th or 9th Arrondiesments - Marais or Grands Boulevards. There are many shuls in both, though Sefardi is better in 9th Arrondisement. This is withing walking distance of almost all sites, though bear in mind there is no Eruv in Paris.

For the best list of restaruants, use this page

http://www.geocities.com/yldcohen/ko...ris96kash.html

There are a few kosher hotels in 9th arrondisement - Aida Opera is OK, 3-4 star (have stayed there once or twice), the others are very basic.

For shabbat meals in 9th Arrondisement there are 2 choices - Synagogue Beth El or restaurant Les Ailes. The latter is highly recommended - somewhat pricy but superb food. Shabbat menu is here

http://www.lesailes.fr/shabbath.html

Maybe do one meal in each.

Enjoy shabbat in Paris - and bring plenty of warm clothes!
Old Aug 11, 2008, 2:10 pm

Programs: Delta, Air France
My husband and I were amongst the original members of a synagogue that meets in the 17th arrondissement, just a short walk from the Courcelles metro stop. It is small and very welcoming, but as it is 'liberal' -- meaning reform -- it doesn't sound like that is what you are looking for. On the other hand, there are some hotels, restaurants and museums within walking distance. There are also many kind and generous members who would want to help you out.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
There is a Masorti (Conservative) shul in Paris, on Rue George Bernard Shaw, not too far from the Eiffel Tower. It's a lovely congregation -- my wife & I have davened there on 2 shabbatot. PM me if this is of interest to you.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 5:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 2035
You won't want to stay there.

I would look at either the 4th or 9th Arrondiesments - Marais or Grands Boulevards. There are many shuls in both, though Sefardi is better in 9th Arrondisement. This is withing walking distance of almost all sites, though bear in mind there is no Eruv in Paris.

For the best list of restaruants, use this page

http://www.geocities.com/yldcohen/ko...ris96kash.html

There are a few kosher hotels in 9th arrondisement - Aida Opera is OK, 3-4 star (have stayed there once or twice), the others are very basic.

For shabbat meals in 9th Arrondisement there are 2 choices - Synagogue Beth El or restaurant Les Ailes. The latter is highly recommended - somewhat pricy but superb food. Shabbat menu is here

http://www.lesailes.fr/shabbath.html

Maybe do one meal in each.

Enjoy shabbat in Paris - and bring plenty of warm clothes!
are there any Major US chain Hotels within walking distance , Hilton,Sheraton, or Marriott?
Old Aug 12, 2008, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz
are there any Major US chain Hotels within walking distance , Hilton,Sheraton, or Marriott?
We're more looking for something Parisian, like a small boutique hotel that wouldn't break the bank. Somewhere with pretty and individually decorated rooms in a little house with a courtyard, for example, rather than a Sheraton, say... (Obviously such a place is less likely to have a fridge in the room for storing provisions purchased before shabbat, but if we have meals arranged, we could live with that!)

To all who've replied so far, many thanks. I'm interested to hear more Paris suggestions and tips if anyone has them.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 9:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by salut0
We're more looking for something Parisian, like a small boutique hotel that wouldn't break the bank. Somewhere with pretty and individually decorated rooms in a little house with a courtyard, for example, rather than a Sheraton, say... (Obviously such a place is less likely to have a fridge in the room for storing provisions purchased before shabbat, but if we have meals arranged, we could live with that!)

To all who've replied so far, many thanks. I'm interested to hear more Paris suggestions and tips if anyone has them.
I hear ya, but keep in mind that others are also interested in staying in Paris being able to attend a shul and have hot meals and can get away w/o paying for a hotel by uisng their pts if theres a Hilton,Marriott, or *W Hotel in that area or not that far of a walk
Old Aug 12, 2008, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

I hear ya, but keep in mind that others are also interested in staying in Paris being able to attend a shul and have hot meals and can get away w/o paying for a hotel by uisng their pts if theres a Hilton,Marriott, or *W Hotel in that area or not that far of a walk
If we had hotel points, we might be looking for the same! But my mileage earning is from personal trips not business ones with hotel stays included, so we don't get to collect hotel points.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:19 am

If that's what you're looking for, you could do worse than the Aida Opera.

http://www.aida-opera.com/

This is normally quite reasonably priced (for Paris) - hint, check on www.hotelclub.com, this is often cheaper.
Hotel is not a chain motel - individual rooms, some larger than others. Just over the road from Les Ailes, and close to loads more kosher places, including a creperie, grocery stores, milchig and fleishig restaurants - and the shuls. Best thing (for me at least) is being able to go down to breakfast in the hotel and having a kosher Pain-au-chocolat and fresh baguettes with cheese, yoghurts etc.
They have many kosher visitors and so are well aware of Shabbat restrictions - keys, electric doors etc - and will help out where required.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:43 am

Hilton is nowhere near. *wood Prince de Galles is about 3.5 Km from Les Aile, so walkable at a push. Don't know about Mariott.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 7:27 am
Suspended

If we had hotel points, we might be looking for the same! But my mileage earning is from personal trips not business ones with hotel stays included, so we don't get to collect hotel points.
All my travel is like yours Personal Trips , and no biz what-so-ever to help me get the Miles or Pts but if you have the time and Patience, which I do then theres no limit to what you can get.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 7:29 am
Suspended

Hilton is nowhere near. *wood Prince de Galles is about 3.5 Km from Les Aile, so walkable at a push. Don't know about Mariott.

thanks, in Berlin we had a 40 min walk to the Shul and with the drizzle and wind it felt more like 40 miles. Looks like we will simply have to go with a non-brand for Fri & Sat nights
Old Aug 13, 2008, 9:18 am

thanks, in Berlin we had a 40 min walk to the Shul and with the drizzle and wind it felt more like 40 miles. Looks like we will simply have to go with a non-brand for Fri & Sat nights
There are a few hotels closer by, including some chains - see there.

http://synagogue.rashi.free.fr/hotel...%2004-2008.pdf

The shul being referenced is just by the restaurant 'Les Ailes'
Old Aug 13, 2008, 9:36 am
Suspended

There are a few hotels closer by, including some chains - see there.

http://synagogue.rashi.free.fr/hotel...%2004-2008.pdf

The shul being referenced is just by the restaurant 'Les Ailes'
Thanks a million for that PDF

looks like The Westin or Hyatt is doable

also seems that Hotel Aida-Opera is a Best Western so at least some Miles can be earned not a total loss.

Yrs ago when I actually stayed over night in CDG and spent the day walking all over Paris, I went to a Pizza store for some quick bites. It was on a corner across from a shul and there was a Hotel on the opposite corner was this Hotel any chance the Aida? I did see religious Jews walking into that hotel. It didnt look like anything more then a 2 or 3 * at best

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.