Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Religious Travelers
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 17, 08, 1:08 pm   #1
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Boston environs
Programs: AAdvantage
Posts: 456
no kosher domestic first class?? (AA)

I have not had the occasion to travel first class domestically recently,
but I was dismayed to find out today that my upcoming trip on American
Airlines, round trip BOS-ORD, does not have "kosher" as a meal option.

When I called them, the lady told me that they no longer offer any kosher
meals domestically, in any class. I said that since BOS and ORD are both
international airports, maybe they could bring a meal over from the other
terminal, and she asked her supervisor, but came back with a "no"
answer.

I know, I know; bring a sandwich.

How long has this been the case?

--LG
lg10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 08, 2:48 pm   #2
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: EWR
Programs: UA, DL
Posts: 630
CO provides kosher food and I bring my own food as itís not worth eating.
fly2w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 08, 3:24 pm   #3
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Benicia CA
Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, over entitled UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Posts: 26,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by lg10 View Post
I was dismayed to find out today that my upcoming trip on American Airlines, round trip BOS-ORD, does not have "kosher" as a meal option.
That's correct. It's covered on the AA website.

Quote:
When I called them, the lady told me that they no longer offer any kosher meals domestically, in any class.
The same web site indicates kosher meals are offered on transcons in first and business.
__________________
Link to my travel photos new: Hong Kong, Macau, Singapore
tom911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 08, 5:28 pm   #4
FF
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold / AAdvantage Million Miler + Plat / TK Gold
Posts: 887
They do KSMLs for transcons 'cos they're the longest flights, so they say. But, erm, not for HNL-ORD - at nine hours, quite a bit longer than a transcon.

And for someone coming from outside the US the option of bringing your own doesn't apply, 'cos one can't get it through Customs.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 08, 5:51 pm   #5
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Posts: 5,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
And for someone coming from outside the US the option of bringing your own doesn't apply, 'cos one can't get it through Customs.
I thought there were plenty of foods that one could bring through customs.
__________________
My OpenFlights.
ralfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 08, 6:03 pm   #6
FF
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold / AAdvantage Million Miler + Plat / TK Gold
Posts: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralfp View Post
I thought there were plenty of foods that one could bring through customs.
Like what?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 08, 8:52 am   #7
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 19,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly2w View Post
CO provides kosher food and I bring my own food as itís not worth eating.
sorry but I find that Regal the new company being used the past year is very good compared to anything else we've had in the States
__________________
If it aint Broken, I'll Fix it
craz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 08, 2:10 pm   #8
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: EWR
Programs: UA, DL
Posts: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by craz View Post
sorry but I find that Regal the new company being used the past year is very good compared to anything else we've had in the States
The last CO flight I took that had kosher (special) meal was about 2 years ago. Most of my EWR-LAX/ONT flights are with a stop in IAH so I do not get to try the kosher meals anymore.
fly2w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 08, 2:41 pm   #9
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 19,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly2w View Post
The last CO flight I took that had kosher (special) meal was about 2 years ago. Most of my EWR-LAX/ONT flights are with a stop in IAH so I do not get to try the kosher meals anymore.
then it was Weiss. When Weiss 1st came on the scene they were Fabulous. Then came 9-11 and there was no looking back. I guess it was a combo of US carriers cutting out their meal service and wanting to pay less $$ so Weiss had no choice but to cut the quantity of what they were giving.Weiss was the 1st company that served fresh salads, rolls that werent made of cement etc etc.

Before Weiss it was Wilton, now that was bad stuff.

Now Regal which is Borenstein which is ElAls owned kitchen, since ElAl serves only Kosher and didnt use Weiss, they remained in Biz even after 9-11. So I dont know if Weiss closed up shop completely or CO just had enough complaining about what we were being served to finally go out and seek an alternative source.
__________________
If it aint Broken, I'll Fix it
craz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 08, 4:38 am   #10
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Programs: BA, LY,TK
Posts: 188
When i flew LGA-STL in F with AA on January i got a kosher meal and it was only a 2.5 hour flight, maybe policy changed?
elihassett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 08, 12:19 pm   #11
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Boston environs
Programs: AAdvantage
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by elihassett View Post
When i flew LGA-STL in F with AA on January i got a kosher meal and it was only a 2.5 hour flight, maybe policy changed?
Any advice for me? Did you have to do something special to make that happen?
--LG
lg10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 08, 2:05 pm   #12
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: AA PLT (0.820MM), HHonors Gold
Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by elihassett View Post
When i flew LGA-STL in F with AA on January i got a kosher meal and it was only a 2.5 hour flight, maybe policy changed?
Wow, I'm surprised by that. In March I spoke with a CSR who informed me that kosher meals are only available in J or F on transcons as defined AA, such as JFK-SFO, LAX-JFK, MIA-SFO, SFO-BOS, LAX-MIA, etc.
__________________
Clubs: AA F (LAX, MIA); AA J (All hubs, BOS, SFO, LHR, NRT, SCL, EZE). BA F (SFO, YVR, LHR); BA J (LHR). CX F (HKG); CX J (LHR, HKG). JL F (NRT, HND). LA (SCL). IB (MAD). AY (HEL)
cAAribmorpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 08, 9:09 pm   #13
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SJC/SFO
Programs: UA Gold; UAMM; Hilton Gold; BW Plat; Marriott Gold; Hyatt Plat
Posts: 2,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Like what?
you can bring anything except fresh meat, fruits, live plants.
You can bring cheese except raw milk.
you could certainly bring food bars, nuts, dried fruits, cheese sandwich, crackers, salami.
keisari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 08, 7:37 am   #14
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Programs: BA, LY,TK
Posts: 188
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg10 View Post
Any advice for me? Did you have to do something special to make that happen?
--LG
Nothing at all i booked my ticket through BA and they have kosher written down by my preferences. I'd recommend you to call SS before you fly and ask them nicely to pull you out an F meal from a long haul flight.
elihassett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 08, 1:36 am   #15
FF
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold / AAdvantage Million Miler + Plat / TK Gold
Posts: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by keisari View Post
you can bring anything except fresh meat, fruits, live plants.
You can bring cheese except raw milk.
you could certainly bring food bars, nuts, dried fruits, cheese sandwich, crackers, salami.
Unfortunately that's not the complete position at all. See here - although it looks like you're right about the cheese sandwich, and I've previously had the OK from the chaps at Dulles Airport to bring in Smoked Salmon.

There is a general presumption that essentially all food products are a no-no and whereas there are some exceptions one really does have to assume that anything could be confiscated at the airport.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 7:48 am.