Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Religious Travelers
Reload this Page >

no kosher domestic first class?? (AA)

Old Jul 17, 2008, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage

I have not had the occasion to travel first class domestically recently,
but I was dismayed to find out today that my upcoming trip on American
Airlines, round trip BOS-ORD, does not have "kosher" as a meal option.

When I called them, the lady told me that they no longer offer any kosher
meals domestically, in any class. I said that since BOS and ORD are both
international airports, maybe they could bring a meal over from the other
terminal, and she asked her supervisor, but came back with a "no"
answer.

I know, I know; bring a sandwich.

How long has this been the case?

--LG
Old Jul 17, 2008, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA, DL
CO provides kosher food and I bring my own food as its not worth eating.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 3:24 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by lg10
I was dismayed to find out today that my upcoming trip on American Airlines, round trip BOS-ORD, does not have "kosher" as a meal option.
That's correct. It's covered on the AA website.

When I called them, the lady told me that they no longer offer any kosher meals domestically, in any class.
The same web site indicates kosher meals are offered on transcons in first and business.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 5:28 pm
FF

Programs: BA GGL / AAdvantage Million Miler + Plat / TK Gold (not any more) / Hilton Diamond (via GGL)
They do KSMLs for transcons 'cos they're the longest flights, so they say. But, erm, not for HNL-ORD - at nine hours, quite a bit longer than a transcon.

And for someone coming from outside the US the option of bringing your own doesn't apply, 'cos one can't get it through Customs.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 5:51 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by FF
And for someone coming from outside the US the option of bringing your own doesn't apply, 'cos one can't get it through Customs.
I thought there were plenty of foods that one could bring through customs.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 6:03 pm
FF

Programs: BA GGL / AAdvantage Million Miler + Plat / TK Gold (not any more) / Hilton Diamond (via GGL)
Originally Posted by ralfp
I thought there were plenty of foods that one could bring through customs.
Like what?
Old Jul 20, 2008, 8:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fly2w
CO provides kosher food and I bring my own food as its not worth eating.
sorry but I find that Regal the new company being used the past year is very good compared to anything else we've had in the States
Old Jul 20, 2008, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA, DL
Originally Posted by craz
sorry but I find that Regal the new company being used the past year is very good compared to anything else we've had in the States
The last CO flight I took that had kosher (special) meal was about 2 years ago. Most of my EWR-LAX/ONT flights are with a stop in IAH so I do not get to try the kosher meals anymore.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 2:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fly2w
The last CO flight I took that had kosher (special) meal was about 2 years ago. Most of my EWR-LAX/ONT flights are with a stop in IAH so I do not get to try the kosher meals anymore.
then it was Weiss. When Weiss 1st came on the scene they were Fabulous. Then came 9-11 and there was no looking back. I guess it was a combo of US carriers cutting out their meal service and wanting to pay less $$ so Weiss had no choice but to cut the quantity of what they were giving.Weiss was the 1st company that served fresh salads, rolls that werent made of cement etc etc.

Before Weiss it was Wilton, now that was bad stuff.

Now Regal which is Borenstein which is ElAls owned kitchen, since ElAl serves only Kosher and didnt use Weiss, they remained in Biz even after 9-11. So I dont know if Weiss closed up shop completely or CO just had enough complaining about what we were being served to finally go out and seek an alternative source.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 4:38 am

Programs: BA, LY,TK
When i flew LGA-STL in F with AA on January i got a kosher meal and it was only a 2.5 hour flight, maybe policy changed?
Old Jul 23, 2008, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by elihassett
When i flew LGA-STL in F with AA on January i got a kosher meal and it was only a 2.5 hour flight, maybe policy changed?
Any advice for me? Did you have to do something special to make that happen?
--LG
Old Jul 23, 2008, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by elihassett
Wow, I'm surprised by that. In March I spoke with a CSR who informed me that kosher meals are only available in J or F on transcons as defined AA, such as JFK-SFO, LAX-JFK, MIA-SFO, SFO-BOS, LAX-MIA, etc.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by FF
Like what?
you can bring anything except fresh meat, fruits, live plants.
You can bring cheese except raw milk.
you could certainly bring food bars, nuts, dried fruits, cheese sandwich, crackers, salami.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 7:37 am

Programs: BA, LY,TK
Smile

Originally Posted by lg10
Any advice for me? Did you have to do something special to make that happen?
--LG
Nothing at all i booked my ticket through BA and they have kosher written down by my preferences. I'd recommend you to call SS before you fly and ask them nicely to pull you out an F meal from a long haul flight.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 1:36 am
FF

Originally Posted by keisari
you can bring anything except fresh meat, fruits, live plants.
You can bring cheese except raw milk.
you could certainly bring food bars, nuts, dried fruits, cheese sandwich, crackers, salami.
Unfortunately that's not the complete position at all. See here - although it looks like you're right about the cheese sandwich, and I've previously had the OK from the chaps at Dulles Airport to bring in Smoked Salmon.

There is a general presumption that essentially all food products are a no-no and whereas there are some exceptions one really does have to assume that anything could be confiscated at the airport.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.