FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religious Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/religious-travelers-604/)
-   -   Kosher (Hermolis) in LHR (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/religious-travelers/840870-kosher-hermolis-lhr.html)

love2travel Jul 2, 2008 1:55 pm

Kosher (Hermolis) in LHR

I'm transiting LHR, 4-6 hours, several times in the next month . Is there a way of ordering a real Kosher meal for pickup somewhere in the airport. I've tried contacting Hermolis (by email via their website) but got no response.

Does someone have any information?

2035 Jul 3, 2008 1:35 am

Originally Posted by love2travel (Post 9973041)
I'm transiting LHR, 4-6 hours, several times in the next month . Is there a way of ordering a real Kosher meal for pickup somewhere in the airport. I've tried contacting Hermolis (by email via their website) but got no response.

Does someone have any information?

You can get kosher sandwiches (made by DD's, which I think is now owned by Hermolis) at a number of places at LHR - I know of locations in T1, T3 and T4. They are pretty tasty. At some of the locations you used to be able to get kosher salads (eg pasta salad, green salad with egg etc) and also bagels - not sure if they still stock these though.

W9London Jul 4, 2008 5:01 am

Hermolis--you should be able to place an order for a pickup on the landside, esp as you have 4-6hr connection. The tricky bit is arranging a pickup point. Alternatively, will you have access to airline lounge? I would try calling them, +44 20 8810 4321. One thing I wasn't clear is whether you want them still frozen or chilled--most of the delivery is in chilled form. Also I presume you'll have to check them in due to liquid items.

For all we know, you can even get to Ruben's on Baker St for that much time.

DD's--their website is
http://www.ddsandwiches.com/retail.htm

Note availability at airports can be patchy--sometimes they have it, sometimes they don't stock it. Food is OK, basic--I personally prefer Adafina's sandwiches, though they aren't available at airports.

Liba Sep 19, 2012 11:27 am

:) I checked that link, hoping to find that there is now kosher food in LHR terminal 5 where I will be for six hours on a stopover next month, and found this "Caffe Nero Terminal 5 Departures (Landside) 020 8283 5056"

Does landside mean I need to go through customs to get to to Caffe Nero? I assume that they just stock sandwiches, the whole Cafe isn't kosher, right?

I know this thread is old, but it was the closest to relevant I could find. :) Thanks!

craz Sep 19, 2012 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Liba (Post 19344842)
:) I checked that link, hoping to find that there is now kosher food in LHR terminal 5 where I will be for six hours on a stopover next month, and found this "Caffe Nero Terminal 5 Departures (Landside) 020 8283 5056"

Does landside mean I need to go through customs to get to to Caffe Nero? I assume that they just stock sandwiches, the whole Cafe isn't kosher, right?

I know this thread is old, but it was the closest to relevant I could find. :) Thanks!

Unfortuantely Yes, when you must go Landside it means going thru Offical Arrivals and then back thru Security to get Airside.

If youre traveling with your whole family it might not be so easy to get around or cheap. But why not arrange for a car service to take you to/from http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15018288-post41.html as was mentoned in that other thread the sandwhiches arent anything to talk about and I would imagine that all that will be kosher in the Cafe @ T5 are the snadwiches themselves

Liba Sep 19, 2012 12:29 pm

:D It is just me, but I don't travel well. I have difficulty walking and have chronic pain. I will just pack some sandwiches from home and watch the planes come and go if that is the only kosher option in the airport.

I really appreciate it though!

Thanks!!

2035 Sep 19, 2012 12:45 pm

I would advise to bring to bring your own snacks. I have been to T5 Nero many times and only rarely found kosher sandwiches there, they seem to sell out quickly and then you're stuck. For some reason Bite and AMT in T3 arrivals seem better stocked and have a broader range.
Otherwise I would suggest taking a cab to Westfield London, which is a very large mall quite close to LHR (around 30 minutes) and had a great kosher (milchig) restaurant.

travellerK Oct 24, 2012 12:07 pm

T3 with a three hour connection in a few weeks.

Any chance I can pick up some kosher food while I'm there?

mikebg Oct 24, 2012 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by travellerK (Post 19557551)
T3 with a three hour connection in a few weeks.

Any chance I can pick up some kosher food while I'm there?

Get a cab to Golders Green and go to one of the kosher restaurants there. 45 mins each way. It is possible that Westfield Mall may be nearer and there is a branch of Isola Bella (milky, quite good) there.

travellerK Oct 24, 2012 2:49 pm

With clearing customs on the way out and security on the way back in, then 45 min each way, is there enough time?

Plus what will the cab fare be, this sounds like it will be a very expensive meal

mikebg Oct 25, 2012 1:06 am

Originally Posted by travellerK (Post 19558726)
With clearing customs on the way out and security on the way back in, then 45 min each way, is there enough time?

Plus what will the cab fare be, this sounds like it will be a very expensive meal

Maybe. You could try contacting one of the kosher restaurants first. Most of them do home deliveries. You could clear passport control and go landside, and arrange to collect from them there. Best would be to meet them outside Departures, so they would not even need to pay for the parking. That way you would only pay the delivery charge and not a two way expensive taxi fare (and I think they charge less for takeaway as well).

If you arrange it in advance, you could set a time about an hour after landing, which should be plenty.

Try Isola Bella (milky). Another one would be Hendon Bagel Bakery, who do very tasty bagel/sandwich platters. If you prefer meaty there are a few places, depending on whether you want glatt or regular kosher. A good place to start would be www.kosher.org.uk (London Beth Din Kashrus Division).

W9London Oct 30, 2012 8:29 am

I think most kosher restos in Golders Green/Hendon/Edgware would only deliver to the surrounding area, I hightly doubt they'd deliver all the way to Heathrow. It won't be cost effective for them just to deliver a few bagel sandwiches, unless you're ordering a banquet platter for 8.

Logistically, Isola Bella in Westfield would be the closest, I like their food but they're almost consistent in inconsistent and slow services. I won't count on them for serving (never mind delivering) foods on time.

3hour transfer really isn't enough to go to the landside/travel/get back in time for the connecting flight, UNLESS you've got an EU passport or Iris AND avoiding rush-hour traffic.

If you're really really desperate, go to the landside, find a newsagent or M&S Food, and buy a bag of Walkers crisp (ready salted and salt & vinegar are on LBD list) or an apple.

ELAL Dec 9, 2012 3:15 pm

Was searching for some kosher sandwiches while departing T1 (airside) but found nothing. Where in T1 can you find kosher sandwiches?

2035 Dec 10, 2012 11:41 am

Originally Posted by ELAL (Post 19825215)
Was searching for some kosher sandwiches while departing T1 (airside) but found nothing. Where in T1 can you find kosher sandwiches?

1. Cafe Nero at T1 airside (far left) - but they often sell out already in the morning (got the last one one day last week at 10am!)
2. El Al lounge
3. BA lounge sometimes - but last week they seem to have changed to main meals only (Hermolis stir fried chicken and noodles or omelette and baked beans)
4. Go landside, and walk over to central bus station where cafe nero has a big range, or to T3 arrivals where AMT and Bite both normally have sandwiches in stock.