Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Religious Travelers
Sign in using an external account

Old Jun 21, 06, 5:04 pm   #1

Programs: AA 2MM, UA Gld, SPG Plt+LT GLD, GP Plt, Mets fan (we have no status at all).
Minyan-finding: YVR, LHR, Italy

Does anyone have suggestions for finding a minyan to say kaddish -- specifically, in one or more of the following places:

YVR airport (afternoon (3-6p) layover)
LHR airport (midday (1100-1400) layover)
FCO airport (late afternoon (17h30) arrival)
Rome
Florence
Venice

I know about www.godaven.com, but was hoping the board might have other resources. (I would gladly accept leads to non-orthodox minyanim.)

Thanks!
CO FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 06, 8:53 am   #2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
A friend of mine had this problem on arrival at FLL.

He went to the baggage claim area and just started asking people if they were Jewish. He told people that he needed to say kaddish. There's a certain crowd that this appeal will hit a nerve with. He had a minyan in about 10 minutes.

Weaing a keepa might aid your situation.

I guess you could do this anywhere.
Old Jun 23, 06, 2:12 pm   #3

Programs: BA GGL & CCRC, TK*G, FB G, HHH D, SPG P.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhammer53
He went to the baggage claim area and just started asking people if they were Jewish. He told people that he needed to say kaddish. There's a certain crowd that this appeal will hit a nerve with. He had a minyan in about 10 minutes.
If I wasn't in a mad rush (which I normally am at the airport), I would stop and help if asked this question.

Lewis

PS from the other point of view, if I needed to say Kaddish at the airport, I'd hope others would help me.
More Champagne Sir? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 06, 8:20 pm   #4

Programs: AA 2MM, UA Gld, SPG Plt+LT GLD, GP Plt, Mets fan (we have no status at all).
Thanks, both of you -- but if I'd guess, I'd say that FLL is much more fertile ground than FCO, YVR or LHR...
Old Jun 24, 06, 5:05 am   #5

Programs: BA GGL & CCRC, TK*G, FB G, HHH D, SPG P.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO FF
Thanks, both of you -- but if I'd guess, I'd say that FLL is much more fertile ground than FCO, YVR or LHR...
LHR is my "Local". You will have absolutely no problems whatsoever finding a Minyan. In fact it should be very easy as there's always lots of people with Kippas on. Especially if you're flying from T4 around the times of the BA flights to TLV or T1 around the times of the ElAl flights.

Lewis
More Champagne Sir? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 06, 9:42 am   #6
Community Director

I confess that you are using a vocabulary that I don't understand, and intrigues me. What is a minyan? kaddish? Are there specific times of day for this? a certain frequency?
SanDiego1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 06, 12:57 pm   #7

Programs: AA Platinum, LY Matmid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I confess that you are using a vocabulary that I don't understand, and intrigues me. What is a minyan? kaddish? Are there specific times of day for this? a certain frequency?
"Minyan" is a quoram of ten Jews over the age of 13 who pray together. While one can pray alone there are certain prayers that can only be said with a Minyan
One of these is the "Kaddish" which is a prayer recited in memory of a deceased family member (father or mother ) for a period of 11 months after death and then yearly on the "Yartzeit" or anniversary. There are many others but we won't go into them
Prayers and Kaddish are said three times daily. "Shacharit" or morning prayers from sunrise until a little before miday, "Mincha" afternoon prayers from midday to sunset and "Ma'ariv" evening prayers from a little after sunset till sunrise
During the mourning period one tries to make every effort to pray in a minyan, even more so then regularly, hence the request of the OP and the various websites which list minyan locations and times throughout the world
Hope this helps
badatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 06, 2:54 pm   #8
Community Director

badatz, thank you for such a clear and helpful explanation. Now I understand.
SanDiego1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 06, 8:25 pm   #9
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Many synagogues have trouble getting a minyan. This can be a problem for someone that needs to say kadish.

Sometimes I'll attend minyan just so that my shul can get 10 people (a minyan).
My shul, with 800 families, and it's hard to get 10 some evenings.

The orthodox insist on 10 men. Many Conservative shuls will also count woman in the minyan.
(This is a 'hot' topic in some circles).
dhammer53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 06, 8:43 pm   #10
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, HH, MR elite. Fly AS/DL/AA. Fmr UA Plat, now Silver, soon Dirt. Also B6, BA, WN, VX, Hyatt.
This board is a continuing education. Thank you for sharing.
Old Jun 26, 06, 10:06 am   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Many synagogues have trouble getting a minyan. This can be a problem for someone that needs to say kadish.

Sometimes I'll attend minyan just so that my shul can get 10 people (a minyan).
My shul, with 800 families, and it's hard to get 10 some evenings.

The orthodox insist on 10 men. Many Conservative shuls will also count woman in the minyan.
(This is a 'hot' topic in some circles).
DHammer - on behalf of those of us who need a minyan, to all those of you who DON'T need to be there but show up anyway: thanks!

One correction, though: now, virtually every Conservative synagogue in the US counts women equally toward a minyan. Canada & Latin America are still more split on this. Israeli "masorti" synagogues (the Hebrew word for "traditional", which is the name for what we in N.Am call "conservative" Judaism) tend to be egalitarian; Europe is more divided.
Old Jun 27, 06, 5:50 pm   #12

Programs: AA million miler
so if you read it like this:

"Shacharit" or morning prayers from sunrise until a little before miday, "Mincha" afternoon prayers from midday to sunset and "Ma'ariv" evening prayers from a little after sunset till sunrise"

are the religious jews all davening all day??

when do you fit in meals? and with all the bruchas before and after.......

and do you ask people on the plane to get a group together to bentch????
edgewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 06, 4:21 pm   #13

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, Continental OnePass, BMI, BAA Worldpoints, AGR, Alitalia, Qantas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO FF
Rome
no idea re airports but in Rome, the Tempio dei Giovanni on the Tiber Island is a beautiful but hard to find little orthodox synagogue on the third floor of the hospital there. ppl are v friendly.

on shabbat, look for the police car parked in the square. not sure if they have a daily (or even thrice daily) minyan...

and don't forget to go to the excellent taverna del ghetto kosher meat restaurant nr the main synagogue...
salut0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 06, 3:41 am   #14

Programs: AA Platinum, LY Matmid
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgewood
so if you read it like this:

"Shacharit" or morning prayers from sunrise until a little before miday, "Mincha" afternoon prayers from midday to sunset and "Ma'ariv" evening prayers from a little after sunset till sunrise"

are the religious jews all davening all day??

when do you fit in meals? and with all the bruchas before and after.......

and do you ask people on the plane to get a group together to bentch????
The periods of time are those that the prayers must be said in
The actual prayer times are approximately:
Shacharit 30-45 minutes
Mincha and Maariv 10 minutes each
So there is plenty of time for other tings

Come to think of it never saw people getting a group together on a plane to bentch (grace after meals) but just came back this moring on LY028 and they definately had a minyan for all three prayers
badatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 06, 6:24 am   #15

Programs: Qanats, Continental, KLM
I have a freind that was traveling from JFK to LHR and needed a minyan for maariv, he asked the flight atendants that he needed a place to pray, he would need 3 people, and it would take just over three minutes. So they allowed him to use the galley.
When the minyan ended, the flight antendant told him, you told me there would be three people, but ther ewere 10, and you told me that it would take 3 minutes, but it actualy took 15.
So he answered, he asked three people to come, but all the other jews on the plane wanted to join in. So the bigger the crowd, the longer it takes.

Now i would like ot aske a question of my own.
How does one daven shacharis on the plane?
I have made the trip LHR-SYD a number of times, and you take of London at night, and you arrive in singapore the next night, so you have no choice, but daven on the plane.
When i asked the stewerdess, if i could use thet galley for 15 minutes to pray, they said i could not, but when i got up to go to the back of the plane, with my teffilin, i was told i would not be able to stand, but sit down.
I did just that, but i felt rather weired, sitting for Shmoneh Esrei, and i had this guy looking at me,like i had fell from mars, or something.

The next question is, when od you know when you have to daven mincha, like in the above situation, but you dont have the current time, or you are not sure if it is past Mincha Gedolah yet.

By the way, i was in Milan Airport on my way to Eretz Yisroel, we had a minyan (about 50 people all together), for Maariv, it was the most beautiful site, i had een in my whole life (before i had the oportunity to go to the Kosel), to see, Chassidim, Misnagdim, Ashkenazim, and sefardim, all devening together, in an airport terminal!

Last edited by mordey; Jul 13, 06 at 6:31 am.
mordey is offline   Reply With Quote