Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Religious Travelers
Reload this Page >

Delta Kosher meals economy JFK-LHR-JFK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2017, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

I'm debating between the diabetic meal and the Kosher meal. Diabetes has been resolved, I've lost a lot of weight, and I'm Jewish, if that matters. Just trying to get a good filling meal, but not eating any bread or bad carbs. I need at least 6 oz of quality protein at a meal. I strive for 60-80g protein per day. I will have Quest bars with me on the plane.

I'd be very happy with a chicken breast or fish. My last Delta diabetic meal was full of rice. I have a photo but can't figure how to upload it.
Old May 10, 2017, 4:08 pm

I do not know Kosher meals on that flight BUT, just because something is kosher doesn't mean it is low in carbs. Doesn't mean it is high protein. I've eaten plenty of kosher meals on multiple airlines, over the years, that do not qualify as healthy. There can be plenty of rice or potato in a Kosher meal. I suggest you go to Judaism101.com and learn what kosher means. It does NOT mean healthy!
Old May 10, 2017, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by awayIgo
I do not know Kosher meals on that flight BUT, just because something is kosher doesn't mean it is low in carbs. Doesn't mean it is high protein. I've eaten plenty of kosher meals on multiple airlines, over the years, that do not qualify as healthy. There can be plenty of rice or potato in a Kosher meal. I suggest you go to Judaism101.com and learn what kosher means. It does NOT mean healthy!
I know Kosher isn't the best choice for me, but I was hoping it would have a lot of protein, but I'm now wrong. I grew up Jewish with religious grandparents. I've decided to order the low fat low carb meal instead. I will have Quest bars with me just in case the meal is not good. My coworker had the low fat low carb meal on a TATL last month and it wasn't bad. All I'd really like is a roast chicken breast and a salad.
Old May 11, 2017, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by CosmosHuman
I know Kosher isn't the best choice for me, but I was hoping it would have a lot of protein, but I'm now wrong. I grew up Jewish with religious grandparents. I've decided to order the low fat low carb meal instead. I will have Quest bars with me just in case the meal is not good. My coworker had the low fat low carb meal on a TATL last month and it wasn't bad. All I'd really like is a roast chicken breast and a salad.
If you can sign up for the Chase Sapphire Reserve CC, you would be able to visit the lounges before/after. We usually hate airline food hence why we did this recently. There's a $450 annual fee, but you get $300 back in statement credit each year if you travel. The lounges are unlimited per day and apply to anyone that is your guest.
Old May 11, 2017, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TravelingNomads
If you can sign up for the Chase Sapphire Reserve CC, you would be able to visit the lounges before/after. We usually hate airline food hence why we did this recently. There's a $450 annual fee, but you get $300 back in statement credit each year if you travel. The lounges are unlimited per day and apply to anyone that is your guest.
I have Delta AMEX card and for $29 can enter SC. Or maybe I get lucky and get guested in. Last visit they had so-so chicken. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old May 11, 2017, 6:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TravelingNomads
Or just buy a (much better and exactly what you want) meal in the terminal. Probably around the same price as a lounge entry.
Old May 11, 2017, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
Or just buy a (much better and exactly what you want) meal in the terminal. Probably around the same price as a lounge entry.
That's a better idea.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 3:23 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Good luck getting 6 oz of protein on an airplane, even in premium cabins, at times. Also, 60 grams is about the RDA, which is much lower than most people really should be getting. Indeed, in 6 oz of chicken breast, you are getting more like 35-40 grams of protein in a meal.

That said, it is pretty easy to avoid the carbs in an airline meal - just don't eat them.

Also, as others have said, ordering a KSML is not likely to get you anything different - macronutrient-wise - from a regular airline meal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.