Search

Shabbat in Seattle

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum
Shabbat in Seattle

Hi again,

I have now firmed up my travel plans traveling from the UK to both Seattle and then LA. I can choose where to spend shabbat and have decided to spend it in Seattle. This is primarily because I want to visit the Boeing factory on the Sunday after Shabbat and because I once visited LA years ago and hated it.

So, can anyone suggest an area to stay where there are shuls, a chance of a Friday night meal (ideally shabbat lunch too) and some suitable hotels nearby. I will be visiting in March. I have seen that there is a downtown Chabad that will probably work well http://www.chabaddowntownseattle.org/ but sometimes I prefer a more standard Orthodox Shul if that is available.

Thank you very much in advance

Last edited by feival; Jan 17, 2017 at 11:46 am
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:44 am
Suspended

the so called main religious area (if you can call it even that) isnt DT or near it, its on Mercer Island.AFAIK no hotels nearby

If I had the choice I would stay in LA for Shabbos

as for Chabad looks like its in a sort of old age home
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum
Thank you very much. That is very helpful.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:52 am
Suspended

http://capitolhillminyan.org/Welcome.html

wonder if Chabad has its own meals or simply pays the place and you eat with the residents pocketing the difference

http://www.senior-care-resources.com...le-washington/

to each their own but Id be in LA if I had to chose, are there any late flights Sat night to SEA?

A correction Seward Park has a number of minyanim , its not near DT but isnt far from Boeing, I dont think youd find any hotels there, then again I dont know of places that offer meals in LA either, some Chabad places do outside LA Ive heard and you have to make arrangements beforehand. However in the Pico area there are a few hotels within walking distance to dozens of shuls and numerous places to get takeout on Fri afternoon

Last edited by craz; Jan 18, 2017 at 8:06 am
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:18 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by craz
...to each their own but Id be in LA if I had to chose, are there any late flights Sat night to SEA?
Before the change to Daylight Savings Time, AS has flights from LAX to SEA departing at 7:20, 7:45, 9:45 and 11:45 pm on Saturday evenings in March. After the change, there are flights departing at 8:30, 9:30, 10:35 and 11:35 pm.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TWA884
Before the change to Daylight Savings Time, AS has flights from LAX to SEA departing at 7:20, 7:45, 9:45 and 11:45 pm on Saturday evenings in March. After the change, there are flights departing at 8:30, 9:30, 10:35 and 11:35 pm.
Thats what Id do could be B6 from LGB or someone from BUR, but if renting a car then it would into and outof the same airport

Heading to LA myself this Shabbos, will stay by a friend only for Fri night, otherwise I base myself out by Irvine (OC) pick up some very cheap hotel stays, only down side is only 1 minyan @ 6:30am during the week, 8:30 on Sun.Mincha is 12:30p and maariv 6:30p so I drive into LA for M&M and catch a meal If I didnt need a minyan then ONT is even cheaper for hotels but too long of a schelp to get to a minyan till Im done with kaddish

Have to say the OP is the 1st person I know that ever said they were in LA for Shabbos and hated it , dont know where they were or what they expected. Most definitely its like anywhere else and its best to have everything arranged before getting there and not to expect people to come up and ask if you need a place to eat, although if you dont look religious then the BT places on both sides of town (Pico/Hancock Park) folks may come up and ask you or an announcement may be made to see ____ if you need to be placed for a meal or 2.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:12 am
Suspended

http://seattlevaad.org/kosher-portfolio/

list of places you can eat at +, I cant comment on any the only place I ate at was Island Crust on Mercer, looks like SEA still lacks any fleshig place
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:17 am

There is a significant Jewish community in Seward park. There are a number of shuls that are very accommodating but they are no where near any hotels. Bcmh is the one I am familiar with http://bcmhseattle.org
Old Feb 8, 2017, 6:48 am

Programs: AA Platinum, LY Matmid
A few years ago I was there with my son and I contacted the Island Synagogue on Mercer Island and they arranged home hospitality for us.

I don't know how many are in your party but you can give it a try.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.