Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Religious Travelers
Reload this Page >

BA stopped fruit platters--what does a vegetarian eat in lieu of KSML?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2015, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

We all keep kosher, all but 2 of my family members are vegetarians. In the past, omnivores booked KSML while I ordered fruit platters for the veggies.

I only found out that BA recently seems to have stopped offering fruit platters on WT/coach. Does that mean that from now on we have to bring our own meal? If we order KSML the only thing they can eat would be just rolls, while (treyf) vegan or vegetarian meals won't work for us. Would it be a sort of chillul Hashem (or big waste) if we order KSML and don't touch the vast majority of content? Does anyone have suggestions?
Old Feb 2, 2015, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by W9London
We all keep kosher, all but 2 of my family members are vegetarians. In the past, omnivores booked KSML while I ordered fruit platters for the veggies.

I only found out that BA recently seems to have stopped offering fruit platters on WT/coach. Does that mean that from now on we have to bring our own meal? If we order KSML the only thing they can eat would be just rolls, while (treyf) vegan or vegetarian meals won't work for us. Would it be a sort of chillul Hashem (or big waste) if we order KSML and don't touch the vast majority of content? Does anyone have suggestions?
Fly Swiss. They will happily provide Kosher Fish or Kosher Vegetarian meals. I think Singapore airlines also do. And El Al is no problem.
From the kosher tray you can have starter (if you eat fish) and dessert.
Flying in 9 days is also an option...
Breakfast meals are also not normally a problem. And about 30% of the time kosher meals are fish anyway, so worth the gamble IMO
Old Feb 19, 2015, 7:21 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Have you spoken to your rabbi about whether having an Asian vegetarian, which are now almost always vegan and have that information published, or a Vegan meal would be acceptable? They are prepared under rather strict standards to avoid meat and dairy contamination, due to the nature of the religious dietary restrictions and virulence of most vegans involved. Most of those I know who keep Kosher seem to not have a problem ordering those as an alternative to KSML.

Otherwise, I'm thinking you're stuck with bringing your own food or sticking with what bits are suitable for vegetarians in the KSML.

Originally Posted by 2035
Breakfast meals are also not normally a problem. And about 30% of the time kosher meals are fish anyway, so worth the gamble IMO
Fish doesn't mean vegetarian.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Unfortunately none of the solutions suggested above wouldn't suit us. Had to fly on BA mileage on specific dates so no option of flying LX or over 9days. Asian vegetarian and non-meat kosher are not the same thing due to wine/bugs/shmita products, no orthodox rabbi would authorise substitution, unless Asian veggie/vegan food also meets kashrut standard. In the end we brought our own.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Vegan won't have bugs, and I doubt they use wine. There shouldn't be shmita produce either, unless it's specifically ex-TLV, and even then, not likely
Old Mar 12, 2015, 1:00 pm

I don't see why vegetarian meals would have bugs either - they certainly wouldn't be able to be certified vegetarian if they did.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 2:58 pm

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Neither vegetarian nor vegan will be free of bugs to the extent that kashrut requires.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 8:54 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by mikebg
Neither vegetarian nor vegan will be free of bugs to the extent that kashrut requires.
Vegan, assuredly, should be even more free of bugs.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 2:36 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Not at all. Do vegans check lettuce against a light to check for tiny bugs? I don't think so.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 9:14 pm

Not at all. Do vegans check lettuce against a light to check for tiny bugs? I don't think so.
Do the caterers check fruit against a light to check for tiny bugs? I'm sure they're more likely to be found on salad, but surely they turn up on fruit every now and again too?

Unless the fruit platter was specifically labelled as Kosher? That's not mentioned above.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by callum9999
Do the caterers check fruit against a light to check for tiny bugs? I'm sure they're more likely to be found on salad, but surely they turn up on fruit every now and again too?

Unless the fruit platter was specifically labelled as Kosher? That's not mentioned above.
Most fruit will not have problems. Citrus peel often has bugs, and strawberries are a major problem. Kosher caterers will deal with this as part of the kosher supervision process.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 4:02 pm

I know several who do, especially those who eat Asian vegan meals on airplanes (Jains in particular). I'd imagine the airlines are extra pro-active about this. You could always figure out who caters your airline and find out what they do with those meals.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by N1120A
I know several who do, especially those who eat Asian vegan meals on airplanes (Jains in particular). I'd imagine the airlines are extra pro-active about this. You could always figure out who caters your airline and find out what they do with those meals.
Jain Vegetarian meals are subject to even higher level of scrutiny.. .Jains CANNOT destroy any life form - animal or Plant.

While not killing animals for food is easy to understand, Jains will not even Kill Plants for food.

So Jain Vegetarians will ONLY eat fruit and vegetables which grow above the ground - because that does not kill the plant or tree (e.g. apples, nuts, etc.).

They will not eat any plant which has to be killed to be eaten. So jains will not eat Spinach, Any root vegetable (Potato, Turnip, Radish, Carrots, Ginger onions, garlic etc.)

Conservative Jains will also wear a Mask over their noses and mouths - so that no micro-bug accidentaly is killed while they are breathing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.