MALDIVES

Old Nov 17, 2013, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: onepass ba united virgin
MALDIVES

hi all
planning a vacation for 2 days to Maldives. planning to fly in to Singapore and stay there for shabath fly sunday to madives and stay till Wednesday and fly from there to hong kong either stay over shabath or fly to tlv for shabath. has anyone been there ? can I get some advice as for hotels and is there what to be afraid being that its a muslim country (I look as jewish can be with kipah and beard) will there be a problem bringing in kosher food espec. meat ?
Old Nov 20, 2013, 6:08 am

I've been to alll--S'pore, HK and Maldives. IMHO 2 days in the Maldives are WAY TOO SHORT. Do you know which atolls you're staying and have you given consideration to domestic transport out of Male? Atolls close to Male do not really have excellent corals or marine life.

Kosher food: would be the challenging bit. You can bringing/smuggle in cold cuts or tinned foods, but I can't imagine hotels (no self catering options on resort islands) would let you cook. We managed with raw vegetables, fruits, and the usual double-foil baked fish.

As for what to be afraid, the biggest dangers are sharp coral beds and sunburns. Aside from Male (which I don't believe you're staying), all resort hotels are built on separate islands from where the locals live.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 3:54 pm

Agree that 2 days is far too short for Maldives.

When I stayed at Conrad Maldives a few years ago, they made HUGE efforts for us to have kosher food.

For breakfast they bought a brand new pan and crockery for us, whjich we were able to keep and clean. They always cooked eggs on that for us, using kosher oil from Australia. All milk was long life from Australia, and so is fine (if you drank Halav Akum). Cereal etc is from Australia and/or US. For lunch/dinner they brought over delicious ready made meals from a caterer in Melbourne, Australia. They even brought over raw steaks, chicken etc which they would double wrap and grill if I preferred. For dinner they charged me regular price for a similar entree wherever I was dining (normally we chose the Rangali Bar, as it was cheapest). I think they lost money, as the ready meals were china plated and very good quality.

I think now they may have a formal kosher menu, as do some of the other 'western' islands such as W. There is a lot of information on the forums on dansdeals.com

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 11:04 pm

Programs: United MP, SQ Krisflyer, SPG, HHonors, SkyPesos
My husband and I went to the Maldives last year and brought some of our own food to save money. A box of matzah leftover from Pesach kept well in the humidity and we also brought cans of peanut butter and tuna. If you're really looking to save money, you can also bring your own electric kettle and some kosher noodles/ soup mix.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: onepass ba united virgin
hi all
I booked the taj exotica resort and spa and they are flying in glatt kosher chalav yisroel food from the kosher village south melborne Australia.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.