Search

Praying on board

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2013, 3:07 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Night Owl
Is it part of Judaism and Islam that prayers be aloud? I don't know much about either religion.
Not a general requirement in either that they be very loud.

Both have prayers that are relatively quiet. Both also have prayers that do not necessarily involve silence -- primarily communal prayers but even those aren't always loud. It depends on the prayers and the individuals.

Most of the prayers which I have observed on planes or at airports being done by bearded ultra-orthodox Jewish passengers or bearded ultra-orthodox Muslim passengers involved relative silence or very low volume recitations/incantations. The noisiest part of prayers in Islam tends to be the call to prayer -- which, according to many, isn't actually part of the individuals' five daily fixed time prayers -- but that is not frequently done on planes (the main exception being some over-enthusiastic type on a Hajj-chartered flight or overenthusiastic male cabin crew showing off their vocal abilities to do the call to prayer.).
Old Jul 15, 2013, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by Night Owl
Is it part of Judaism and Islam that prayers be aloud? I don't know much about either religion.
Originally Posted by joshwex90
In Judaism, no. (There are out loud prayers in the communal prayers, but when praying alone, no)
In Islam, 3 of the 5 daily prayers (morning, evening, night) are prayed aloud in a congregation setting; if however one is praying alone, they can pray any of the 5 prayers quietly.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 10:04 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
Originally Posted by theddo
The Salahs can under most faiths be combined, and a few of them can almost always be combined. For long travel you can also do the qasr which makes the prayers significantly shorter. I also thought the whole point of the qada was that if your were unable to complete it on time it could be delayed (as little as possible, thought). ................
I would not follow the travel rule until I have left my city. So in my case if the plane is at London Heathrow then the combining rule is not available. As for delaying past the appointed time period (without any valid excuse) then this is a major sin.

Of course all rules are up to interpretation and the purpose of this post is not to impose my school of thought onto others. Likewise I would not wish for others to instruct me when I can delay my prayer beyond the appointed time.

At all times everyone (Muslim, Jewish or anyone else) would, I expect, be considerate to others while not compromising articles of their faith.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 10:10 am

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Originally Posted by martindo
I spend a lot of time in Indonesia and take at least 20 domestic flights a year. I was surprised earlier this year to see the entire row (both left and right sides) of hijab clad women in front of me break out into prayer DURING the standard pre-flight safety talk given by the FA. Apparently, the informal leader of the women started and the others immediately joined in. It's possible they were on their way to Umroh (off season Haj) and/or they were as bored with the usual announcement as I was. But the FA took no action to ask them to quiet down or delay their prayer for a few minutes. Has anyone else experienced this?
You did not say the Indonesian airline but for years Lion Air (one of Indonesias largest LCCs) has had glossy cardboard multi religion, multi language "prayer cards" in the seat back pocket right next to the glossy cardboard safety card. The cards include prayers in several languages and most of the major religions basically asking for a safe flight. Perhaps the ladies discovered them when they checked for the safety card. In any case, flying domestically in indonesia, prayers from anyone certainly can't hurt and far be it from me to tell anyone how they should be practicing their religion. No big deal.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 7:33 am

Programs: QR Gold/Gulf Air Gold/UA Gold
Just to clarify, were they praying or chanting? prayer involves the physical movements of prostrating and bowing (even if seated), and generally is in silence. If it was chanting, they were probably repeating the supplication that is said on the way to pilgrimmage ("Labayk Allah huma Labayk....")
Old Jun 6, 2014, 3:26 pm

Programs: United Premier, EK Skywards Blue, AAdvantage, Delta SkyMiles, Lufthansa Miles & More, Aeroplan
Re: Praying on Board

Originally Posted by jahason
I agree if possible prayer should be delayed by a few minutes to give courtesy to FA and their safety briefing. Sometimes though its not possible to delay, but then in some cases perhaps prayer could have been completed inside the terminal building before boarding.
Maybe this is the way they are supposed to pray according to Islam. I'm Hindu, and my religion has no rule how to pray. But I first watch the safety demo, and THEN pray silently. Just a thought.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 7:52 am

Programs: United Premier, EK Skywards Blue, AAdvantage, Delta SkyMiles, Lufthansa Miles & More, Aeroplan
Pilgrims to Tirupati

I've seen this myself, when I'm taking a flight to India. There's always a few Tengalite Vaishnavas on the plane, in full religious garb. Within India, there's a special flight offered by AI for Tirupati pilgrims. Having been to Tirupati myself, I can see why these Vaishnavas chant out loud on takeoff. That's for the devotional vibe they want to experience on the Holy Mountain.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 5:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
A reminder about the charge of this forum:

Religious Travelers

This forum is open to members of all religions who have contributions which are both travel and faith-oriented. There is but one Golden Rule: We're not here to debate religion.
JDiver
Senior Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.