Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Religious Travelers
Sign in using an external account

Old Jul 3, 12, 9:48 am   #1

Hermolis MSML

This is the second time it happened on me, both times on Eurostar.
My KSML profile is on their database, but for some reason, they served me MSML prepared by Hermolis.

It's nothing controversial--basically a pastry, a bagel, a challah roll, Schmerling processed cheese spread, OJ and yogurt drink.

The interesting bit is, while the package (shrunk wrap a la KSML) had Halal hechsher(?) signage, there is nothing that indicates it is kosher. Yet I'm pretty much sure they just use the same component (otherwise who would eat Schmerling cheese potions?).

Paraphrasing Ali G, Is it 'cos I is Sephardi?
W9London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 12, 1:08 am   #2

Programs: EL AL Matmid Platinum, Virgin Flying Club Red
There is only one Hermolis factory (in West London). Everything made there is under the same kashrus supervision. Take a look at their website and you will see they have Halal certification in addition to their kosher certification.
mikebg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 12, 4:45 pm   #3

Programs: COdbaUA 1K, AA EXP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Omni Platinum, Hertz 5*, NEXUS and GE
Pretty much any Islamic authority recognizes kosher meat as halal and sees Rabbi's as the blessings they provide as equal to those of a mullah or other Moslem employed in animal slaughter. Hence why Hermolis meals are halal
Old Jul 27, 12, 7:11 pm   #4

Programs: COdbaUA 1K, AA EXP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Omni Platinum, Hertz 5*, NEXUS and GE
I just read what was on the plate again.

Of course it was halal - it was lacto-ovo vegetarian, and there are no issues with needing milk handled by religious people in halal diets. It looks like they labeled a milkig KSML as MSML, figuring that the fact that kosher food is also halal meant they were good.
Old Jul 30, 12, 2:36 am   #5

Programs: EL AL Matmid Platinum, Virgin Flying Club Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1120A View Post
I just read what was on the plate again.

Of course it was halal - it was lacto-ovo vegetarian, and there are no issues with needing milk handled by religious people in halal diets. It looks like they labeled a milkig KSML as MSML, figuring that the fact that kosher food is also halal meant they were good.
Not quite. They labelled it as MSML because Hermolis have full Halal certification, so it really is an MSML:

http://www.hermolis.com/cert5.htm
mikebg is offline   Reply With Quote