Kosher Hotels - Room Service

Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Kosher Hotels - Room Service

On this trip to Israel, all my hotels are Kosher. (I am not.) I have noticed that room service can come from either the milk or meat kitchen, and there's nothing to stop a guest from not only mixing those plates, but also putting outside treif on the plates. What does the hotel do to insure the serviceware remain appropriately kosher?
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:53 am

Programs: AA PLAT FPC PLAT
This unfortunately a big problem. If one wants a truly kosher meal he must look beyond those who simply claim to be Kosher. There are places that are more careful.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2 Million Miler)
It really isn't much of a problem, as the plates aren't used for cooking. And even if the food placed on the plates is hot, those plates are washed in dishwashers that are technically hot enough -- and on all counts, if they aren't used for 24 hours afterwards, there are no issues at all.

I'm not a Rabbi, but this isn't a major concern.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mordy2000
It really isn't much of a problem, as the plates aren't used for cooking. And even if the food placed on the plates is hot, those plates are washed in dishwashers that are technically hot enough -- and on all counts, if they aren't used for 24 hours afterwards, there are no issues at all.

also most hotels have 2 different designs 1 for meat and another for milk, so at least they shouldnt mix up the dishes. Theres nothing stopping any guest from bring in mamish treif and using the Hotels dishes that they got from room service. Thats why some people wont order room service

Its actually a bigger problem during Passover when most tours have gone to areas that arent Jewish and some that are and buy pita or reg bread. If the tour guide explains things that although they may be permitted to eat these items that by all means they shouldnt bring any of it back inside the Hotel. True its their hamatz but the last thing you want is it being eaten in the dining room during a reg meal

The hotel I stay at the shomers do try and check each pkg that people are taking into the Hotel. Ive been stopped and they tell me they have to check me as well and dont care if I have food (they know it will kosher le Pesach) but they want anyone looking to see Everyone goes thru it, so that way they wont try and sneak in anything that shouldnt be brought in. I have no problems with that and very often see them tell a person they either have to eat the food outside or leave it on the bus
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by mordy2000

Clearly you haven't gotten the advance copy of the Nisan issue of "Chumrah of the Month Newsletter"...
Old Apr 21, 2012, 7:51 am

I am not kosher however is it really a big deal should a guest mix fleishik/cholav or eat treif if the plates are washed in an acceptably hot dishwasher? I've never understood the idea of kashering something that cannot and does not absorb or retain traces of a food. A plate that held treif that is washed in super hot water in the dishwasher is still not usable?
Old Apr 21, 2012, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA,US,AR,Hyatt, Hilton, holidayinn/AR Plus, DiscoPlus& JumboMas
A lot of hotels will use glass dishes that according many opinions dont absorve anything regardless of temperature and therefore remain kosher all the time.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 1:08 am

They have policies on the material used and how they are washed. Any decent hotel will be using industrial dish washing equipment with extremely hot steam after cleaning to kill all bacteria and germs. This also has the effect of kashering all the dishes. Way higher standard that what goes on in most kosher homes that don't kasher their dishes after every use.

Look at some photos

The not as decent hotels that only wash by hand would only use materials that follow ONLY the leniencies of well respected rabbis in Israel*. The Israeli rabbinut does not ever follow leniencies of rabbis outside of Israel. Sometimes products like Hagen Daaz are sunk in without meeting the standards of Israeli rabbis but then controversies always hits the newspapers about such incidents.

The Israeli rabbinut may be more lenient or stringent regarding certain materials than your community.

*E.g. no Israeli rabbi argued for chalav stam but Rabbi Tzvi Pesach Frank of the Edah held all milk powder was permitted. I believe the Chazan Ish disagreed and one of the recent Sephardic chief rabbis so even rabbinut stam only uses it with a disclaimer. All of this is worlds stricter than in C"L.

In Israel even the meikilim only follow the leniencies of great rabbis with a disclaimer. If there is not disclaimer then there is some consensus about the leniency and only then is it suited for the meikilim. Very holy people.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.