Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Religious Travelers
Reload this Page >

Ski accidents and Jehovah's Witnesses

Ski accidents and Jehovah's Witnesses

Old Dec 13, 2008, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Question Ski accidents and Jehovah's Witnesses

A friend of mine on another board has been asking about what would happen as regards the Swiss authorities if a pupil who is a JW had an accident on a school skiing trip that he is proposing, because she would not be able to accept a blood transfusion as part of her treatment.

He wanted an answer to this as regards the enforceability of a 'no blood' treatment before he contacts her parents about the trip, and to who is allowed to have authority over the youngster's religious rights (s/he is under 16) in the case where the doctors/hospitals would insist on giving this person blood as part of actively treating an injury.

Is there anybody on this board who could shed some light on this situation that I could pass on to him? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 11:53 am

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
If he needs blood, they would give it to him, as far as I know.
I have seen this on more than one occasion in Europe: someone tells the doctor before they're having surgery that they are a JW and can't accept transfusions; the response from the doctor has always been: "If you need it, you will get it" ...
Old Jan 16, 2009, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks dimramon!
Old Jan 16, 2009, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA GLD, HH, TSA Disparager Gold
A lot of Jehovah's Witnesses carry medical cards that state no transfusion along with a phone number to call in case of emergency. They would also be able to call the local Kingdom Hall for assistance. I would hope medical authorities would respect this.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, 3MM AA, Admirals Club
Originally Posted by Alsacienne
A friend of mine on another board has been asking about what would happen as regards the Swiss authorities if a pupil who is a JW had an accident on a school skiing trip that he is proposing, because she would not be able to accept a blood transfusion as part of her treatment.

He wanted an answer to this as regards the enforceability of a 'no blood' treatment before he contacts her parents about the trip, and to who is allowed to have authority over the youngster's religious rights (s/he is under 16) in the case where the doctors/hospitals would insist on giving this person blood as part of actively treating an injury.

Is there anybody on this board who could shed some light on this situation that I could pass on to him? Thanks in advance for your help.
As a person raised as a Jehovah's Witness, (and who left the religion at age 18), it is 'almost' hard to believe that the student's parents would allow her to go on a school trip - as Jehovah's Witnesses are not supposed to associate with anyone other than those of their faith - in social activities.

Their only contact with those of the 'world' is supposed to be at work, and school, (no extracurricular activities allowed).
Old Nov 29, 2011, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by laxconnorw
As a person raised as a Jehovah's Witness, (and who left the religion at age 18), it is 'almost' hard to believe that the student's parents would allow her to go on a school trip - as Jehovah's Witnesses are not supposed to associate with anyone other than those of their faith - in social activities.

Their only contact with those of the 'world' is supposed to be at work, and school, (no extracurricular activities allowed).
And this is relevant to a thread that's nearly 2 years old
dmax801 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.