Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Religious Travelers
Reload this Page >

The Reformed Christian's guide to Reformed Churches

Old Jan 20, 2011, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive

As a traveler I often find it hard, while on my journeys, to find a church that embraces one of the Reformed Confessions. I assume others have the same challenge, so in an effort to help each other out I am starting this thread.

For the sake of clarity, a Reformed Church is one that requires that pastors, elders and deacons subscribe, with minimal exceptions, to one of the following Confessions:

-Three Forms of Unity:
o Heidelberg Catechism (1563)
o Belgic Confession (1566)
o Canons of Dordt (1619)

-Gallic Confession (1559)
o Second Helvetic Confession (1566)
o Theological Declaration of Barmen (1934)

-Scots Confession (1560)

-Westminster Standards:
o Westminster Confession of Faith (1646)
o Westminster Shorter Catechism (1649)
o Westminster Larger Catechism (1649)

-Savoy Declaration (1658)

-London Baptist Confession of Faith (1689)
While there are many denominations that are Reformed in name but no longer require a high degree of subscription to one of the confessions, I realize that there may well be churches inside of those denominations that maintain a high level of subscription. If you are aware of such a congregation, please feel free to submit it for inclusion in this list.

I invite everyone's participation, but in an effort to have some sense of organization I will lock down the first several posts for what I hope will be future growth.

If you would like to nominate a church please post the name of the church, provide a link, and maybe a few pithy comments.

I look forward to everyone's participation!

Last edited by Gamecock; Jan 21, 2011 at 6:46 pm
Old Jan 20, 2011, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

From Wikipedia: The Reformed churches are a group of Protestant denominations characterized by Calvinist doctrines. They are descended from the Swiss Reformation led initially by Huldrych Zwingli and soon spread to the rest of Northern Europe. They were the major Protestant rival to the Lutheran churches. Several of these national or specific language based churches later expanded to worldwide denominations.

Last edited by Gamecock; Jan 20, 2011 at 5:23 pm
Old Jan 20, 2011, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

North American Congregations

USA

CAE First Presbyterian Church. (ARP) Pastored by Dr. Sinclair B. Ferguson. Three services on Sunday.
CHS Eastbridge Presbyterian Church (PCA) Near Mount Pleasant, close to the beaches. Very welcoming congregation.
DFW Lakeside Presbyterian Church (PCA) Easy drive to DFW for that flight right after church!
LAX Greater Union Baptist Church, Compton (Southern Baptist) Ken Jones's former church
MCO Saint Andrew's Chapel (Presbyterian) Never been, but it is pastored by R.C. Sproul so it makes the list by default. Hope to attend one day. Maybe a MR?
MIA Glendale Missionary Baptist Church, Ken Jones, Minister
NYC Redeemer Presbyterian Church. (PCA) Pastored by Dr. Tim Keller. Five Sunday services around Manhattan. Different services have different styles of worship.
PHL Tenth Presbyterian Church A short walk from the downtown DoubleTree. Fabulous Christ centered preaching. Pastored by Dr. William W. Goligher
SAN Christ United Reformed Church, Santee (URCNA) Michael Brown, senior minister; Michael Horton, associate minister
SAN Escondido United Reformed Church (URCNA), Phil Vos, senior minister; Stephen Donovan, associate minister
SAT Redeemer Presbyterian Church (PCA) Very liturgical, but with vibrant music, solid hymns that honor the older works but recognize many of the modern hymnwriters.
SNA Christ Church Presbyterian (PCA) Small but friendly congregation
SWF Hudson Valley United Reformed Church (URCNA) Small Dutch Reformed church, some of the friendliest people I have ever met!
WAS (DCA/IAH) Capitol Hill Baptist Church Senior pastor is Mark Dever. I have never attended, but my wife and 12 year old daughter went one Sunday. My daughter shook the pastor's hand and told him that was the best sermon she ever heard! Within walking distance of Union Station.
WAS (DCA/IAH) Christ Reformed Church (URCNA) Brian Lee, Minister

Canada

Mexico

Last edited by Gamecock; Jul 23, 2011 at 1:28 pm
Old Jan 20, 2011, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Central and South American

Last edited by Gamecock; Jan 20, 2011 at 4:20 pm
Old Jan 20, 2011, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Europe

England

LON Metropolitan Tabernacle (Baptist) Charles Spurgeon's old church. Great gathering with members from all over the world.

Germany

HN Free Baptist Church Heilbronn English and German, attended on Christmas Eve a few years back. Very nice group.
KL Trinity Reformed Church (PCA) English speaking congregation located in Landstuhl. I was a member here for a couple of years.

Last edited by Gamecock; Jan 21, 2011 at 7:36 am
Old Jan 20, 2011, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Africa
Old Jan 20, 2011, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Asian
Old Jan 20, 2011, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Australia/Oceania
Old Jan 20, 2011, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Reserved
Old Jan 20, 2011, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Reserved
Old Jan 20, 2011, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Reserved
Old Jan 20, 2011, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Reserved
Old Jan 21, 2011, 12:37 pm

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
SAN Christ United Reformed Church, Santee (URCNA) Michael Brown, senior minister; Michael Horton, associate minister

SAN Escondido United Reformed Church (URCNA), Phil Vos, senior minister; Stephen Donovan, associate minister

MIA Glendale Missionary Baptist Church, Miami, Ken Jones, Minister

LAX Greater Union Baptist Church, Compton (Southern Baptist) Ken Jones's former church

SNA Christ Church Presbyterian (PCA) Small but friendly congregation

DCA/IAD/BWI Christ Reformed Church (URCNA) Brian Lee, Minister

Most all Orthodox Presbyterian Church churches are highly confessional (USA).

Many Presbyterian Church in America churches are highly confessional (USA).

Most all URCNA churches are highly confessional (US and Canada).

Last edited by sinfonia; Jan 21, 2011 at 2:12 pm
Old Jan 25, 2011, 9:08 am

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
Perhaps this might be helpful?

North American Presbyterian and Reformed Council's directory of church denominations
Old Feb 8, 2011, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Reformed Church in America (RCA)

Mrs Flies and I are life-long RCA members. We are a small denomination (~300,000 in the U.S. and Canada), but are the oldest Protestant denomination in North America with a continuous presence. We came with the Dutch explorers. The church leaders in the Netherlands understood that the New World needed ordained clergy and a seminary of its own. As a matter of fact, they established the first university in the New World (Rutgers) and the first seminary (New Brunswick Theological Seminary). The oldest physical pulpit in North America is in the First Church in Albany (NY -- near ALB) and dates back to 1659. The oldest congregations were the Collegiate Churches in NYC -- the surviving one being the Marble Collegiate Church.

You will find congregations in areas primarily settled by the Dutch. The first settlements were in the Hudson Valley, NYC, Philadelphia area, and NJ. The second migration in the mid-1800s was in the midwest -- Iowa, Michigan, Illinois, some of MN, etc. The third migration was internal, when midwest Dutch dairy farmers moved to what is now Long Beach, Downey, and Paramount, CA. (Ever heard of Long Beach referred to as "Iowa By The Sea?")

Members have included two Presidents (Martin Van Buren and Theodore Roosevelt), many Members of Congress (Everett Dirksen being just one), a Founding Father and Revolutionary War commander (General Phillip Schuyler), Lucille Ball, Harry Smith (CBS), Steve Bell (ABC), Kyle Korver (Chicago Bulls), and, Geronimo. Noteworthy clergy include Norman Vincent Peale, Robert Schuller, and Bill Hybels (Willowcreek Community Church) (Bill started out in a sister denomination, the Christian Reformed Church).

These days, you will find very conservative RCA congregations made up of primarily Dutch people and you will find congregations as diverse as the U.S. and Canada. Some read a few Qs & As from the Heidleberg every Sunday morning. Some are very small in membership in rural areas. In contrast, the largest church in the RCA is the Crystal Cathedral.

To find a congregation in the U.S. or Canada, simply visit our web site: http://www.rca.org.

Three churches I can personally recommend (having been members) are:

First Reformed Church, Wynantskill, NY (near ALB): http://www.frcwynantskill.com/;

Emmanuel Reformed Church, Paramount, CA (LAX, LGB, SMA): http://www.erc.la/; and,

The church we presently attend: Monocacy Valley Church, Frederick, MD (BWI, IAD, DCA): http://www.mvcnow.org. Come visit us if you are ever in the Frederick area. I'm usually up front playing the keyboard in the worship band.

I'll end with a quote from probably one of the best earthly theology ever written by humans:

Heidleberg Catechism, Question 1:

Q. What is your only comfort in life and death?

A. That I, with body and soul, both in life and death, am not my own, but belong unto my faithful Savior Jesus Christ; who with his precious blood has fully satisfied for all my sins, and delivered me from all the power of the devil; and so preserves me that without the will of my heavenly Father not a hair can fall from my head; yea, that all things must be subservient to my salvation, wherefore by his Holy Spirit he also assures me of eternal life, and makes me heartily willing and ready, henceforth, to live unto him

Last edited by FliesWay2Much; Feb 8, 2011 at 6:07 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.