Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Religious Travelers
Sign in using an external account

Old May 19, 10, 10:32 pm   #1

Programs: Delta - Diamond; Hilton - Silver
Minyan in Paris

I'm in Paris from June 3rd to the 10th. I am saying Kaddish daily and am looking for a place to go. I'm in central Paris near the Les Halles metro stop. I go to an Orthodox synagogue here in Memphis, but grew up in a Conservative synagogue and have been a member of a Reform congregation so I'm pretty comfortable in most places. As I'm not shomer shabbos and not exactly the most religious guy in the universe, I was hoping to find a place that someone like me would feel comfortable. Also, my French is basically the little phrase book I'll be carrying around with me. Any suggestions? Thanks.
gsiskind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 10, 12:49 pm   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsiskind View Post
I'm in Paris from June 3rd to the 10th. I am saying Kaddish daily and am looking for a place to go. I'm in central Paris near the Les Halles metro stop. I go to an Orthodox synagogue here in Memphis, but grew up in a Conservative synagogue and have been a member of a Reform congregation so I'm pretty comfortable in most places. As I'm not shomer shabbos and not exactly the most religious guy in the universe, I was hoping to find a place that someone like me would feel comfortable. Also, my French is basically the little phrase book I'll be carrying around with me. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Les Halles is located in the 1st Arrondissement. While there are no Chabad houses there, there are several in the adjoining 2nd and 8th Arrondissements.

Chabad Centers in Paris
TWA884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 10, 9:14 am   #3

central Paris is not that big you can easily go to numerous synagogues in either 4eme or 9eme. (that's the number of district/arrondisement). The main synagogue on rue de la victoire on 9eme is beautiful, they have a daily miniyan and my husband enjoys going there if he's in Paris overnight.

You should be able to look up a list of orthodox synagogues that belong to Consistoire under http://www.consistoire.org (check Communautes and Liste).

One thing you may want to bear in mind is that it seems majority of Parisienne synagogues are either sephardi or follow Nusach sephard. You can usually find someone who speaks English.
W9London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 10, 12:16 pm   #4

Programs: AA 2MM, UA Gld, SPG Plt+LT GLD, GP Plt, Mets fan (we have no status at all).
OP - YGPM...
CO FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 10, 11:50 am   #5

Programs: AA LT PLT, UA 1K+LT UC, Fairmont LT PLT, SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis CHM.
Chabad of Champs Elysses is nearby, has a very diverse crowd, and the Brazilian-born Rabbi is friendly and multi-lingual.
They also offer a great shabbos meal if you need it.

I believe their daily shacharis is at 8am.

www.chabadchampselysees.com
ctownflyer is offline   Reply With Quote