Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Religious Travelers
Reload this Page >

Kosher food at Las Vegas Airport (Domestic terminals)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2010, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club

Is there any kosher food available at the domestic terminals in Las Vegas Airport?
Old Apr 22, 2010, 10:12 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by mikebg
Is there any kosher food available at the domestic terminals in Las Vegas Airport?
None are listed in the Chabad Las Vegas Kosher Dining Guide.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 3:02 am

I was there yesterday - only thing I found was the bagels, cream cheese, muffins and cereal for breakfast at the President's Club (CO lounge).

Closest kosher place is probably Haifa, not more than 10 minute's drive. Then Adar pizza - maybe 15 mins? and the other places are a bit further.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 1:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 2035
I was there yesterday - only thing I found was the bagels, cream cheese, muffins and cereal for breakfast at the President's Club (CO lounge).

Closest kosher place is probably Haifa, not more than 10 minute's drive. Then Adar pizza - maybe 15 mins? and the other places are a bit further.
I havent set foot into Haifa in many yrs and and hope I never do again.Id rather eat junk food then go there. Too many issues to post but Sababa is great, a bit of a ways from LAS but worth the extra time

Adar is OK but very expensive for a reg pizza joint
Old Apr 25, 2010, 2:05 am

Originally Posted by craz
I havent set foot into Haifa in many yrs and and hope I never do again.Id rather eat junk food then go there. Too many issues to post but Sababa is great, a bit of a ways from LAS but worth the extra time

Adar is OK but very expensive for a reg pizza joint
Slightly OT, but I'd respectfully disagree. Maybe it's changed hands, but I went to Haifa and was quite pleased - maybe it's changed, but service was good, portions large, price reasonable - so I would have no problem going back. I agree that Adar is just 'average' but the best place is 'Panini' - a milchik place close to Sababa (and the Shwarma place and Albertsons) which is superb - and I'm not normally a bit fan of these places. I went back several times and was really impressed each time.
Old May 9, 2010, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Well in the end we were at the Haifa restaurant the night before and took food for the journey from there. The place was actually quite good. For the journey we took 'spring chicken' (what they call 'pargiot' in Israel, which is actually the dark parts of the chicken without the bones) and chopped vegetable salad. We reckoned that these would be quite edible cold. They were fine to eat cold. The restaurant even double-wrapped them in foil to allow them to be reheated on the plane even though we didn't ask for them to do so. However, the airline would not allow them in their ovens. Thanks everyone for the help.
Old May 9, 2010, 8:42 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

...'spring chicken' (what they call 'pargiot' in Israel, which is actually the dark parts of the chicken without the bones)...
"Spring Chicken" is a poor description of the dish by the restaurant. "פרגית" is properly translated as "pullet" or young hen. The term has noting to do with the part of the bird or having it deboned.
Old May 9, 2010, 4:09 pm

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Originally Posted by 2035

What?!

Haifa is a 10 minute drive from Las Vegas airport?!

I'm realy baffled

My English head, has now come to the conclusion that there must be a resteraunt with the name of "haifa" near Las Vegas airport, right?
Old May 9, 2010, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by ELAL
My English head, has now come to the conclusion that there must be a resteraunt with the name of "haifa" near Las Vegas airport, right?
Bingo!!!

Haifa Restaurant & Catering
Old May 10, 2010, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWA884
"Spring Chicken" is a poor description of the dish by the restaurant. "פרגית" is properly translated as "pullet" or young hen. The term has noting to do with the part of the bird or having it deboned.
I am sorry, but you are wrong! 'pargit' is a term which may have once meant 'young hen' or 'pullet' just as schnitzel once meant a fried slice of veal (and not turkey etc). However, in the wonderful world of Israeli catering, pargit now means de-boned dark part of chicken. No more, and no less. Haifa restaurant included.
Old May 10, 2010, 9:36 am

Programs: AA Platinum, LY Matmid
As a veteran of NY catering and Catskill mountain Borscht Belt Hotels, the term spring chicken refers to a serving of a half a chicken with the "top and bottom" connected and with all original bones.

Pargiot in Israel is the deboned dark meat of the thigh.
Old May 10, 2010, 11:37 am

I am sorry, but you are wrong!
If I am wrong, so are the dictionaries.

Morfix Melingo still defines פרגית as pullet.

Link

So does Google Translate.
Old May 10, 2010, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

If I am wrong, so are the dictionaries.
So what if the dictionaries are wrong? Big deal! I am not talking theory, but facts!

I live in Israel and I know precisely what is sold as 'pargiot'. My wife also knows precisely what she gets from the butcher when she buys 'pargiot'.
Old May 11, 2010, 9:43 am

So what if the dictionaries are wrong? Big deal! I am not talking theory, but facts!
Please provide at least one respectable source or reference supporting your translation and interpretation of the term פרגית.

Thank you.
Old May 12, 2010, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Look here. This is totally pointless. Why don't you just go to Israel and see for yourself. I have already explained that it is wrong from a technical perspective, but that is the way the language is used (just like any vegetable patty with breadcrumbs on the outside is called schnitzel).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.