Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Religious Travelers
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 11, 10, 4:03 pm   #1
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Galus, UK
Posts: 198
Official Kosher sandwich guide at London airports

...for those of us who do not have reliable access to BA First Class lounges.
The list is straight from 2010 edition of KLBD kosher food guide. Needless to say availability/variety may not be guaranteed.

Heathrow T1: AMT Coffee landside (DD's), Caffe Nero airside (Adafina)
Heathrow T3: AMT Coffee and Bite Cafe, both landside/arrivals (DD's)
Heathrow T4: Caffe Nero landside (Adafina), AMT Coffee landside (DD's)
Heathrow T5: Caffe Nero landside (Adafina)
Heathrow central bus station: Caffe Nero (Adafina)

Luton: Food Village landside (DD's), The Real Food Company airside (DD's)
W9London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 10, 2:19 pm   #2
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Programs: LH SEN, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, BA Gold
Posts: 1,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by W9London View Post
...for those of us who do not have reliable access to BA First Class lounges.
The list is straight from 2010 edition of KLBD kosher food guide. Needless to say availability/variety may not be guaranteed.

Heathrow T1: AMT Coffee landside (DD's), Caffe Nero airside (Adafina)
Heathrow T3: AMT Coffee and Bite Cafe, both landside/arrivals (DD's)
Heathrow T4: Caffe Nero landside (Adafina), AMT Coffee landside (DD's)
Heathrow T5: Caffe Nero landside (Adafina)
Heathrow central bus station: Caffe Nero (Adafina)

Luton: Food Village landside (DD's), The Real Food Company airside (DD's)
Hi

Slight correction - the AMT in both T1 and T4 is airside. The kashrut guide is ambiguous (says Departures) but I have been to both of these and know they are in airside departures.
Also the T5 Cafe Nero didn't have any kosher sandwiches the last few times I tried - not sure if this is a glitch or permanent.
2035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 10, 9:53 am   #3
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Programs: Miles & More, British Airways, Air France
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2035 View Post
Hi

Slight correction - the AMT in both T1 and T4 is airside. The kashrut guide is ambiguous (says Departures) but I have been to both of these and know they are in airside departures.
Also the T5 Cafe Nero didn't have any kosher sandwiches the last few times I tried - not sure if this is a glitch or permanent.
Any news on kosher sandwiches' availability at terminal 5?
Philidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 10, 10:00 am   #4
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Programs: Miles & More, British Airways, Air France
Posts: 5
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2035 View Post
Hi

Slight correction - the AMT in both T1 and T4 is airside. The kashrut guide is ambiguous (says Departures) but I have been to both of these and know they are in airside departures.
Also the T5 Cafe Nero didn't have any kosher sandwiches the last few times I tried - not sure if this is a glitch or permanent.

Any update on kosher sandwiches'/salads' availability at terminal 5 in LHR? What would you recommend if I have about 4 hr of transfer time at terminal 5?
Philidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 10, 2:39 pm   #5
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 18,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philidor View Post
Any update on kosher sandwiches'/salads' availability at terminal 5 in LHR? What would you recommend if I have about 4 hr of transfer time at terminal 5?
since from the list on the other post it seems if there are any its Adafina I would waste my money. When I was in Selfridges last thats all they had no more DD and basically all I saw was 2 pieces of bread

not nearly enough time to make a run to Reubens, maybe Reubens will take a phone order and car service it out to you but it wont be cheap
__________________
If it aint Broken, I'll Fix it

Last edited by craz; Sep 20, 10 at 7:19 am..
craz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 10, 3:09 am   #6
FF
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold / AAdvantage Million Miler + Plat / TK Gold
Posts: 862
Kosher meals in T5 lounges

Just for the record, the Galleries First (and probably the Club lounge, too) has Hermolis sandwiches / soup and the Concorde Room has all of that, plus full meals (breakfast / lunch / dinner). But they're usually frozen so it's a good idea to allow time for them to get heated. I think they defrost a few each day, 'cos the fruit etc can't be easily defrosted by microwave, but if you have access to You First, give them a call a day or two before travel and they'll call the lounge and make sure there's a meal available. I've gotr the same in the T3 lounge.

If anyone wants the direct line for the Concorde Room catering people then PM me. it's no great secret as they'll give you their business card when you're there.

You may also be able to get full Hermolis meals in the Galleries First lounge (dunno if this is SOP these days). I went with my daughter to AMS early one Sunday morning and asked them what KSMLs they had and they brought us the full F class dinner setups. Notwithstanding it was 0615 on Sunday morning, my daughter (age 13) went for the full Beef Casserole and mash / roasted veg. We took it on board and she ploughed her way through it on the 45 min flight
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 10, 4:55 am   #7
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Programs: Miles & More, British Airways, Air France
Posts: 5
Question DD sandwiches in LHR

Which of the terminals where DD's sandwiches are available (apparently T1, T3, and T4) would be the easiest to reach if transferring at terminal 5? Basically I will have 4 hours of transfer time in T5 airside. Thanks in advance.
Philidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 10, 7:24 am   #8
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 18,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philidor View Post
Which of the terminals where DD's sandwiches are available (apparently T1, T3, and T4) would be the easiest to reach if transferring at terminal 5? Basically I will have 4 hours of transfer time in T5 airside. Thanks in advance.
T4 has the stations in its basement , while T1-2-3 has only a centralized station that is a much longer walk.

The HEX was the way to go between T1-2-3 & T4 w/o having to pay, so I will Assume you can still use the HEX for free within LHR and therefore would simply jump on it to T4 if in fact it passes T4 from T5
__________________
If it aint Broken, I'll Fix it
craz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 10, 8:46 am   #9
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Programs: Miles & More, British Airways, Air France
Posts: 5
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz View Post
T4 has the stations in its basement , while T1-2-3 has only a centralized station that is a much longer walk.

The HEX was the way to go between T1-2-3 & T4 w/o having to pay, so I will Assume you can still use the HEX for free within LHR and therefore would simply jump on it to T4 if in fact it passes T4 from T5
It actually doesn't. HEX has a station at T1-2-3 with a shuttle to T4 and a station at T5.
Philidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 10, 1:27 pm   #10
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 18,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philidor View Post
It actually doesn't. HEX has a station at T1-2-3 with a shuttle to T4 and a station at T5.
Thanks as you can see I havent been to T5 as of yet. Last couple of trips in were on AA and into T3? I imagine theres a landside free bus, if not I guess its either pay whatever the underground costs or simply do the HEX however

but for all of this hassle I dont think either DD and for sure Adafina is worth it, Id rather just brown bag something
__________________
If it aint Broken, I'll Fix it
craz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 10, 7:19 pm   #11
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Galus, UK
Posts: 198
You can get Hermo sandwiches at BA Club lounge at T5, but you'll need to call a few days ahead. I didn't get a full meal though.

4hrs would be tight connex to come all the way to pick up something from WestEnd. One alternative that MIGHT work is Westfield shopping centre near Shephard's Bush. (I'd say 30min or so by taxi) There's supposed to be a take-away concession of Isola Bella (kosher restaurant in Hendon). Though it's a BIG mall and traffic can get really crowded on Sundays.

As for prepackaged sandwiches, I personally think Adafina ones are decent, especially bread compared to the other brand. Admittedly the sizes are small, though price-wise they're comparable to non-kosher varieties. Though agree Adafina's better with their salad/pasta boxes (chicken couscous is my favourite, esp that red sauce).
W9London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 10, 9:43 pm   #12
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: YYZ/NYC/LHR/MEL
Programs: SPG-Platinum. Aeroplan-E, Skymiles Gold, AA Platinum, PC- Platinum, Hertz Gold HH Gold
Posts: 260
The Cafe Nero in T5 (at the side of the check-in on the departures level) usually has a selection of Adafina chicken, salmon, and other sandwiches.
sam33 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 7:09 am.




SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.