LX: CH/Europe - JFK runs

Old Jan 6, 2003, 2:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
LX: CH/Europe - JFK runs

With the current double mile promotions and low fares in all classes on the GVA-JFK flight (now - end of March) and the ZRH-EWR/JFK flights (Feb - end of March), some people consider a "mileage run" to New York. Perhaps we could use this topic to coordinate our activities for possible meetings?

I am considering the weekend of 24/27 JAN for a ZRH-GVA-JFK trip, hoping for a longhaul webspecial (CHF399) on the route on that date. I am flexible though.

Also, is it even worth it looking at the very negative changes from QG to TravelClub?

------------------
airOli, the Swiss Air Line.
Old Jan 6, 2003, 3:59 am

Programs: M&M FTL, HHonors Diamond, Langham Elite, SPG Corporate Preferred
I was thinking about doing that run, too. The problem with Jan 24-27 is, that the webspecials usually require 3 nights or a saturday night. And January 26 is SuperBowl Sunday, when I usually have a crowd over at my apartment to watch the game.
I was more thinking early February (isn't the double miles promotion also just from Feb 1 ?).

By the way, with SWISS Winter Specials, GVA-JFK is CHF 499.- plus tax.
Would be great to coordinate our dates and meet in NY. I have my bar exam coming up in mid-February, so I can't stay too long. I was thinking 2 nights, one of them a saturday night.

As to the negative changes: I'm planning to use my miles for F-awards to the USA, and these actually got reduced. Only question for me is whether it's worth going for Silver. Upgrades from C to F have become so much more expensive... But I guess lounge access and 20% bonus aren't so bad afterall.
Old Jan 6, 2003, 5:20 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by airoli:
With the current double mile promotions and low fares in all classes on the GVA-JFK flight (now - end of March) and the ZRH-EWR/JFK flights (Feb - end of March), some people consider a "mileage run" to New York. Perhaps we could use this topic to coordinate our activities for possible meetings?

I am considering the weekend of 24/27 JAN for a ZRH-GVA-JFK trip, hoping for a longhaul webspecial (CHF399) on the route on that date. I am flexible though.

Also, is it even worth it looking at the very negative changes from QG to TravelClub?

</font>
That sounds great, I was really waiting for a promotion on the EWR-ZRH route!

I am in NYC from tonite (LX018) until beginning of February... Let me know if you would like to check out the Swiss Mafia at 481 Greenwich Street. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif
Old Jan 6, 2003, 5:37 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by huegli:
(isn't the double miles promotion also just from Feb 1 ?).</font>
Yes and no. The one announced on the new TravelClub website starts Feb 1st, but on my last QG mileage statement there's one for GVA-JFK only from 1.12.02 to 30.01.02.

------------------
Old Jan 6, 2003, 5:50 am

Just got the dates for my exams. The only weekend I'll be able to go is February 22-24. Anybody else thinking about going then ?
Old Jan 6, 2003, 8:27 am

There is a very interesting webspecial from AMS to NYC as well:

"BOOK between Monday, 6 January at 12.00 (noon) and Friday, 10 January at 12.00 (noon).

**Travel period for European destinations**
Friday, 10 January, until Sunday, 19 January, 2002

**Travel period for long-haul destinations**
Friday, 10 January, until Friday, 24 January, 2003

The offers are available on: http://www.swiss.com/webspecials

**DEPARTURES FROM AMSTERDAM TO**

ATHENS from EUR 232,-
LISBON from EUR 175,-
OPORTO from EUR 195,-

NEWARK from EUR 282,- "
Old Jan 22, 2003, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Bumping this to the top since I'm still interested in this run. Have any dates been set / booked yet? Who's running anyway?

------------------
Old Jan 22, 2003, 6:42 am

Hi airoli, I have a mileage run booked on February 21-23 BSL-GVA-JFK-GVA-BSL. I'm meeting some Law School buddies of mine on one night (don't know which one yet), but would be available the other night.

On a different note: I'm thinking about a BSL-HAM run this Sunday (maybe via Zurich). Question: are 30 minutes enough to get from an arriving BSL-HAM flight on a departing HAM-ZRH flight ? What if I already check in for the return flight in Basel ?
Old Jan 22, 2003, 7:46 am

Never mind, I booked the following additional run for this Sunday:

LX-2987 SWISS Basel Zurich 10:40 / 26JAN 11:20 / 26JAN Economy
LX-1058 SWISS Zurich Hamburg 15:45 / 26JAN 17:20 / 26JAN Economy
LX-1061 SWISS Hamburg Zurich 19:55 / 26JAN 21:25 / 26JAN Economy
LX-2990 SWISS Zurich Basel 22:05 / 26JAN 22:40 / 26JAN Economy

Cost was CHF 169.50 for 3000 Club miles and 5000 Bonus miles (if I counted right...)
Old Jan 22, 2003, 8:48 am

Sorry to be a bit off-topic here, but Huegli: If it's a US bar exam you're talking about (esp. if it's NY), I suggest you burn ALL available miles to fly F to and from - it's one of the worst academic/professional experiences I've ever had (the bar, not flying F to NY!) One of the multistate questions was actually "if aliens contact the US, who has jurisdiction?"
Old Jan 22, 2003, 9:33 am

Don't worry, I was talking about the Swiss bar exam. I could have taken the NY bar after getting my LL.M. from the University of Chicago Law School, but everybody I asked advised against it... And at that time, I didn't have the extra money to burn, anyway.

I guess the answer to the multistate question is very simple: everytime anybody contacts anybody, the US have jurisdiction.... http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif
Old Jan 22, 2003, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Tartegnin:
"if aliens contact the US, who has jurisdiction?"</font>
The Men In Black.

------------------
Old Jan 23, 2003, 1:15 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by huegli:
Hi airoli, I have a mileage run booked on February 21-23 BSL-GVA-JFK-GVA-BSL.</font>
Unfortunately, my university entry exam is on February 21st, thus I could only leave the day after. Will see if I find the time... thanks anyway!

------------------
Old Jan 23, 2003, 1:39 am

a few question regarding promotions...

the flight ZRH-JFK on C class giving double miles in January?
the flight GVA-JFK on C class giving double miles in January?
the flight JFK-ZRH on C class giving double miles in February?

How i can ask from a companion ticket on a swiss code share flight (with AA or LY)?

thanks
Old Jan 23, 2003, 1:50 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by roteg:
a few question regarding promotions...
the flight ZRH-JFK on C class giving double miles in January?
</font>
No.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">the flight GVA-JFK on C class giving double miles in January?
</font>
Yes.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">the flight JFK-ZRH on C class giving double miles in February?
</font>
No.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
How i can ask from a companion ticket on a swiss code share flight (with AA or LY)?
</font>
I'm not sure if that is possible. If so, try the Service Center.

------------------

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.