CDG-DOH F Upgrades no longer possible?

Old Aug 7, 2017, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK Diamond, QR Platinum, AA Platinum, BA Silver, IHG Gold Ambassador
CDG-DOH F Upgrades no longer possible?

I just got off the phone with QR, trying to upgrade my Business Class seat to First.

The agent told me that upgrades to F was not possible from CDG (only cash).
I asked if this was a new policy (I know about the LHR-limit) and the agent said "ehhm, it's been like this for a few months now" (seemed like she was making it up).

Is this some news that I've missed?
If it truly is the case, it is seriously devaluing the use of QCredits (at least for european biz-travellers).

I'll try again at the airport.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 7:00 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
I had an exCDG J trip back in March 2017 and when I asked this question here people seemed to have been able to upgrade. So if it changed, then it was sometime between then and now.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be around shortly.

Safe travels!
Old Aug 7, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: qr
Just done a random search on priv club booking using redemption points and CDG came up as available for xx q miles redemption . So my guess is that if there is availability you could upgrade from J to F using either miles or q credits . But who knows QR do move the goal posts. Hope this helps
Old Aug 7, 2017, 11:57 am

I upgraded J - F on CDG - DOH and DOH - CDG in the past two weeks.

I upgraded the outward leg with Qcredits and the return leg with Qmiles, both done over the phone about 2 weeks prior to the outward journey.

On the return leg, I'm pretty sure there were several late upgrades because whilst only 3 seats were taken on the seatmap before online check-in started, 7 of 8 seats were occupied. J, on the other hand, was nearly deserted - not more than 15 pax, so presumably any upgrades weren't operational.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 12:04 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by railways
I upgraded J - F on CDG - DOH and DOH - CDG in the past two weeks.

I upgraded the outward leg with Qcredits and the return leg with Qmiles, both done over the phone about 2 weeks prior to the outward journey.

On the return leg, I'm pretty sure there were several late upgrades because whilst only 3 seats were taken on the seatmap before online check-in started, 7 of 8 seats were occupied. J, on the other hand, was nearly deserted - not more than 15 pax, so presumably any upgrades weren't operational.
The majority of the Royal Family of The State of Qatar, when not flying on their Amiri aircraft, fly in F to/from CDG opposed to LHR

Quite why, I don't know (especially as many then fly into London privately!).

As such, it's not uncommon to find F suddenly rather full - but, and to be fair to the Sheikhs & Sheikas I have encountered, they're always very friendly, engaging, and humble.

M
Old Aug 7, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
I was able to upgade in late June/early July both legs on BKK-DOH-CDG from J to F due to fly in late November.

I would suggest you try with another agent, or to avoid the upgrade fee over the phone, to send an upgrade request from QR website.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK Diamond, QR Platinum, AA Platinum, BA Silver, IHG Gold Ambassador
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll definitely try calling again tomorrow.

P.S. When trying to upgrade to F via the website I get "Businesstonull()".
But QR's webpages have always been notoriously buggy
Old Aug 7, 2017, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by sexten
P.S. When trying to upgrade to F via the website I get "Businesstonull()".
But QR's webpages have always been notoriously buggy
Tell me about it. When trying to upgrade to F, I haven't gotten anything other than that for more than 2 months now. I made my upgrades through the hotline, but they always charged the new hotline fee.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
The majority of the Royal Family of The State of Qatar, when not flying on their Amiri aircraft, fly in F to/from CDG opposed to LHR

Quite why, I don't know (especially as many then fly into London privately!).

As such, it's not uncommon to find F suddenly rather full - but, and to be fair to the Sheikhs & Sheikas I have encountered, they're always very friendly, engaging, and humble.

M
Certainly wasn't the case on my flight - the interlopers were French and Australian.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
I hate to be a party-pooper, but having flown QR A380 F DOH-CDG-DOH in April 2017 with Mrs PtF (and despite us being two of QR's greatest fans) we are both of the opinion that, availability of Krug notwithstanding, QR F lacks the wow factor over QR J - I'd already formed a not dissimilar opinion after previous QR F A340 and A330 flights.

Admittedly we got a fantastic fare deal (GBP1,250 per person QR F/F CAI-DOH-CDG and vv) however in future we're more than happy to 'slum-it' in J.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
QR F lacks the wow factor over QR J
QR A380 F did not impress you and let you have the wow factor
Old Aug 8, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer

No.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite / LH Senator / KL Gold / QR Gold
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Having never flown in F before, I can imagine the wow factor being higher on other airlines. Etihad has a bigger 'first apartment' and showers, Emirates has showers, Lufthansa and Air France offer great ground service.

As much as I love QR for their service, their business class seats, etc., I can see why people say that First on other airlines has a better wow effect
Old Aug 8, 2017, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by hotwingz
Having never flown in F before, I can imagine the wow factor being higher on other airlines. Etihad has a bigger 'first apartment' and showers, Emirates has showers, Lufthansa and Air France offer great ground service.

As much as I love QR for their service, their business class seats, etc., I can see why people say that First on other airlines has a better wow effect
My sentiments entirely. ^

My point is that with such a good J product and a not top-notch F product the 'delta' between F and J on QR isn't really that great.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: qr
Agree F is not way better than there excellent j class. That said there are certain elements that do make the passenger feel a bit more special and the cabin is a quiet relaxing place to be. I also like the seats which is a split between limited privacy and open air feeling. The food options IMHO is not that much of a step up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.