Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

transiting at DOH - arrival gate, walking time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 6:37 am
Original Poster

does anyone know which gate the QR1370 ex-CPT flight typically arrives to?

do you need to go through security again during transit?

the next flight departs from Gate D4. how far is the walk from gate D4 to Al Mourjan lounge? should we allow 15 min?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:35 am

gnomey a warm welcome to the QR forum.

With regard to arrival and departure gates the standard reply is 'No one knows' Unless it has changed in the last few months then arrival and departure gates are allocated in an almost random fashion. And there is no guarantee that you will have a contact gate. Due to the lack of contact gates remote stands are frequently used, even for the larger aircraft. and just because your connection left from D4 yesterday it does not mean that it will today.

Having a remote stand on arrival can be an advantage since buses will transport you to the foot of the stairs leading up to transit security or in a few cases each day directly into the departure areas and you will avoid the long walk to security.

Each day Security prepares a secret list of flights that will not be subject to security screening on transit. If your flight is on this list you will be deposited at the entrance to the departure areas. If not, then at the foot of the stairs up to security. The list changes completely every day so there is no way of knowing beforehand.

I personally would allow at least 20 minutes to get to the furthest gates unless you have your running shoes on!

Do take a look at the QR dashboard widget http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...h-airport.html. It contains a wealth of useful information and tips.

Please remember that access to Al Mourjan is restricted to those travelling in J.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I actually prefer arrival at "bus gate" than the jet bridge. Far less walk when arrive at bus gate.

If your time is tight, try grab a buggy if there is one around. We would miss our connection last time - Luckily a fellow passenger who knew what he was doing, kept looking around for a passing buggy and grabbed it. We hopped on for the ride. When all was said and done by the time we arrived our departure date to SYD at the farthest end of the departure hall, we were the last passengers to report for the flight. But because the departure was at bus gate and the bus for business class passengers wasn't ready yet, so we were able to sit down for a few minutes to catch our breadth. And that was a 1:10 hr connection time with on time arrival from ZAG. Original connection time was 45 min before schedule changes. Frankly I dont see how we could make it if arrive at jet bridge.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 20, 2017 at 1:30 pm
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by remdk
gnomey a warm welcome to the QR forum.

With regard to arrival and departure gates the standard reply is 'No one knows' Unless it has changed in the last few months then arrival and departure gates are allocated in an almost random fashion. And there is no guarantee that you will have a contact gate. Due to the lack of contact gates remote stands are frequently used, even for the larger aircraft. and just because your connection left from D4 yesterday it does not mean that it will today.

Having a remote stand on arrival can be an advantage since buses will transport you to the foot of the stairs leading up to transit security or in a few cases each day directly into the departure areas and you will avoid the long walk to security.

Each day Security prepares a secret list of flights that will not be subject to security screening on transit. If your flight is on this list you will be deposited at the entrance to the departure areas. If not, then at the foot of the stairs up to security. The list changes completely every day so there is no way of knowing beforehand.

I personally would allow at least 20 minutes to get to the furthest gates unless you have your running shoes on!

Do take a look at the QR dashboard widget http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...h-airport.html. It contains a wealth of useful information and tips.

Please remember that access to Al Mourjan is restricted to those travelling in J.
I see. Thanks for the info. This might explain why it's hard pressed for me to find info on arrival gate for DOH. Not to say it matters since it appears to be random from day to day. OK. i will keep in mind that D4 departure is not even fixed.

We only have 2 hrs transit time, on QR J for both segments. I guess we have to do a marathon if we want to pop by Al Mourjan. Arghhh

Originally Posted by Happy
I actually prefer arrival at "bus gate" than the jet bridge. Far less walk when arrive at bus gate.
I see. This make sense based on what remdk just said as well. Thanks!
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:47 pm

gnomey two hours is plenty of time! I once had a 65 minute transfer. Arriving at the far end of the A wing, the long walk to security and security as well as getting to a high numbered C gate 20 minutes before departure I still managed 20-25 minutes in Al Mourjan!
Old Jul 20, 2017, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
We only have 2 hrs transit time, on QR J for both segments. I guess we have to do a marathon if we want to pop by Al Mourjan. Arghhh
Sounds quite doable if everything is on time. It should be enough time to have a quick look around, visit the toilet and have a drink.
In some instances it took me less than 10 minutes from the bus gate to the lounge. And if you don't mind walking on the travelators, getting to the D/E gates doesn't take that long either. The train should also be able to save some time, I never used it though since flying is already enough of a low calorie activity as it is.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by remdk
gnomey two hours is plenty of time! I once had a 65 minute transfer. Arriving at the far end of the A wing, the long walk to security and security as well as getting to a high numbered C gate 20 minutes before departure I still managed 20-25 minutes in Al Mourjan!
Ah ok, thanks. The write-up online abt Al Mourjan makes it sounds like it's very big and take hours to explore and soak-in I presume there is snacks to be enjoyed even at 12-2 am period, since DOH is a hub like DXB?

J ticket holders have fast track through security during transit, right?

Originally Posted by makrom
Sounds quite doable if everything is on time. It should be enough time to have a quick look around, visit the toilet and have a drink.
In some instances it took me less than 10 minutes from the bus gate to the lounge. And if you don't mind walking on the travelators, getting to the D/E gates doesn't take that long either. The train should also be able to save some time, I never used it though since flying is already enough of a low calorie activity as it is.
Thanks for the reassurance! The train connects from North to South end, right? So the yellow giant teddy bear is located at South end alongside A and B gates, with elevator on left side (when facing teddy) leading up to Al Mourjan on L3, and to get to gates in C/D/E (northern end), you can just take train?

https://www.oneworld.com/documents/1...=1423215902000
https://dohahamadairport.com/airport...-airport/maps#

I think that's how I understand from the terminal map
Old Jul 20, 2017, 2:59 pm

gnomey In Al Mourjan there is buffet dining and a bar up the staircase to the right as you enter and a Deli through the doors way down on the left. these are both open 24/7.
You appear to be at the lounge towards the end of the evening rush when the lounge has been very crowded but will be less crowded by the time you get there. The lounge is barely signed so you need to keep your eyes open!

The Premium class security lines are in the middle of the security halls and are usually quite fast.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
Thanks for the reassurance! The train connects from North to South end, right? So the yellow giant teddy bear is located at South end alongside A and B gates, with elevator on left side (when facing teddy) leading up to Al Mourjan on L3, and to get to gates in C/D/E (northern end), you can just take train?

https://www.oneworld.com/documents/1...=1423215902000
https://dohahamadairport.com/airport...-airport/maps#

I think that's how I understand from the terminal map
Uhm yes, sounds about right. Never took the elevator, but since the lounge is on the left, it must be around there as well. It's probably right behind the long escalator to the lounge, can't miss that.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Great, thank you both !
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Two hours is plenty regardless of gates including lounge. Only thing you may not have time for are showers as there are often long waiting lists. (This would be too short to want a quiet room too)
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:52 am

Programs: NZ*E, MPO, QR
Just recently our experience was 12 minutes from seat to seat. We were really worried about our connection due to 40 minutes delay because of late originating aircraft. The CSM was concerned and spoke to all the connecting passengers.

Arrived at the end of B concourse (thank goodness) from Madrid. Walk down to transit security. Barely time to empty our pockets at security. Walk to the train and onward to gate E 4 for Auckland. Wait 2 minute for the gate to open. Watch the economy board for the next 20 minutes after us. Pushed on time. And a luggage made it !

I'm guessing the big difference this time through was virtually no migrate workers at security due to the travel bans.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:44 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
It has been well documented on the Forum, that flights leave from different gates on a daily basis - even the A380s park at different gates.

In terms of walking through the Terminal, it is all mentioned within the thread that remdk helpfully posted.

As such, I will Close this thread and it will eventually merge into the other.

To the OP, I would encourage you to look at the QR Forum Dashboard. Within, you will find answers to the various queries you have posted.

M

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.