Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways - UAE, KSA, Bahrain and Egypt withdraw licenses and close airspace

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 5, 2017, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: plunet
Wiki last updated: 21 July 2017 18:00 UTC

Summary of key traveller experiences and feedback on this forum since Mid-June
  • Policy statement (link) for the travel industry issued 15th June 2017
  • Refund is always an option, but very varied experiences of how quickly the refund is processed, from a few days to "still waiting". Some experiences of passengers being pressurised into taking refunds when this is not necessary if you can wait.
  • If you want to reroute from a closed destination to another middle east destination still served by QR, you might be able to do this as early as 30 days from 1st sector, although we have had reports of rerouting at 6 weeks out.
  • Where QR have to reroute onto other carriers, long haul reroutes typically onto BA, CX and TK seem to be quoted most often. In the Gulf region ME, KU, WY are quoted most often. Although RJ is a OneWorld carrier and should be a parter for QR, they are not accepting QR rerouted tickets.
  • Status of reservations for travel to affected destinations typically changes to "Unconfirmed" 7 days ahead of travel.
  • If your booking was via a 3rd party or agent you probably can't get Qatar to change the ticket until 72 hours before the first sector. 3rd parties and agents seem to be offering refunds rather than rerouting, although there has been some success if you can show them the QR rebooking policy document.
  • There has been a very mixed bag of reports of how QR are handling rebooking. Some people have no luck getting itineraries changed before 72 hours before departure, but others do. So some good advice is to always be polite but if you don't get what you want, then thank the agent for their time and HUACA (hang up and call again) - preferably after you have had a drink and have calmed down, and maybe calling a different office.

Some specific data points from other travellers:
(but there is a lot more valuable information if you can trawl back through the thread)

#753 CAI-LHR-DOH been offered as alternative for ex-CAI 4 days prior to 1st sector.
#772 KUL-DOH-LXR reroute to CAI and IST refused
#792 AUH-DOH-DPS by QR rebooked to DXB-HKG-DPS by CX
#794 Australia-DOH-HBE rebooked as DOH-BEY on QR on 2nd attempt.
#808 CAI>DOH>BOS>DOH>CAI rebooked to KRT and date change
#818 SYD-DOH-CAI changed to SYD-DOH-KWI-CAI, layovers optimed and +Qatar stopover
#830 and #840 Economy ICN-DOH-DXB rebooked onto CX ICN-HKG-DXB
#849 ex-CAI ininaries changed to ex-AMM but needed to HUACA a few times.
#856 CAI-DOH-BKK changed to FCO-DOH-BKK all on QR
#868 DFW-DOH-HBE changed to DFW-DOH-LCA all on QR 2 weeks out.
#906 Unable to get LXR-DOH-HKG-BNE rerouted until 72 hours prior
#927 CAI-DOH-BKK rebooked onto CAI-BAH-AMM on Gulf DOH-BKK (on QR) and return back to AMM
#966 DXB-DOH (award ticket) was changed to DXB-KWI-DOH on Kuwait+QR 48hrs in advance
#966 DOH-CAI (2 award tickets) were changed to DOH-BEY on QR 48 hours advance
#966 CAI-DOH-MUC (paid business) were changed to BEY-DOH-MUC 72 hours advance
#981 HKT-DOH-DWC (J/F tix) change to HKT-DOH-KWI all on QR 10 days out.
#985 ex-LXR ticket rerouted by OTA as CAI-BEY-DOH outside the 72 hr window
#1004 BKK-DOH-CAI in F rebooked as BKK-DOH-BEY in QR F, BEY-CAI in C on ME
#1005 HEL-DOH-DXB rebooked HEL-DOH-MCT on QR and MCT-DXB on Oman once ticket status went to unconfirmed.
#1057 MAN-DOH-DXB rebooked as MAN-LHR-DXB on BA (had to HUACA 3 times)
#1141 Multiple ex-CAI itineraries CAI-DOK-BKK return in J, CAI-DOH-LHR return in J, CAI-DOH-BKK single in F changed to all be ex-KWI. Had to HUACA 3 times.
#1157 LXR-DOH-NRT booked in January, flight changed to CAI-DOH-NRT
#1172 Rebooked CAI-(F)-DOH(J)-BKK to CAI-(C/ME)-BEY-(F)-DOH-(C)-BKK at 77hrs from departure
#1173 Rebooked at QR office HBE-DOH-DPS to HBE-IST-DOH-DPS on TK/TK/QR and improved timing on DOS-DPS segment

Offical guidance from QR website as of mid July:

Passengers who have purchased their tickets from Qatar Airways have the following options to refund their tickets:

For tickets booked on qatarairways.com, they can:
  1. Go to Refund requests;
  2. They can approach their nearest Qatar Airways Office; or
  3. They can call the Qatar Airways contact Centre at +974 4022 0072
For tickets booked through a Qatar Airways Office or through the Contact Centre, passengers can
  1. Contact their nearest Qatar Airways Office; or
  2. Call Qatar Airways Contact Centre on +974 4022 0072
The refund will be made to the original form of payment and the refund will be processed within 14 - 28 days.
Passengers who have purchased their Qatar Airways tickets through a Travel Agency can request their refund from the issuing Travel Agent.
Within the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, UAE, Kingdom of Bahrain and Egypt please use: https://refundsapp1.blueivysync.com/...er-refund.html

This is a different web form as the Qatar website is blocked from some of these countries.
For further information and FAQs please visit: http://support.qatarairways.com/hc/e...002369667-FAQs
What Happened

On the 6th of June flights from Qatar to Bahrain, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates (and vice versa) were suspended.

This includes all Qatar flights between Doha and Abu Dhabi, Abha, Alexandria–Borg el Arab, Bahrain, Buraydah, Cairo, Dammam, Dubai–Al Maktoum, Dubai–International, Gassim, Hofuf, Jeddah, Luxor, Madinah, Ras Al Khaimah, Riyadh, Sharjah, Tabuk, Ta'if and Yanbu.

Adding to this at 00:00 (UTC) on the 6th of June restrictions were put in place limiting flights to Doha to one particular corridor through the airspace of Bahrain. This has since been relaxed to two specific corridors through Bahrain airspace with a second corridor up the Saudi Arabia the new addition.

All other flights to other Qatar Airways destinations including the Maldives are still operating although some have delays due to the extended time required to avoid restricted airspace.

There are a couple of routes that are having to make fuel stops in Athens or Muscat but this seems to be dependent on the type of aircraft as well.

Details on the Airspace can be found here - https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/f...ain-and-egypt/

What about my Flights to other destinations?

Flights to Europe, Asia, Pacific and Norte America are operating as per schedule with minimal delays. There is no need to contact QR regarding these services.

Flights between Doha and Souto America are facing delays due to longer times and/or need for a technical stop-over. Flights to GRU and EZE are 2hr to 5hrs longer.

Flight between Doha and Africa/Middle East have longer flights times due to the airspace restrictions. Some routes like Doha to Khartoum have felt the full force of the restrictions with the flight now taking 2hr 30 mins longer than normal.

Qatar has begun to re-time flights to ensure the network continues running smoothly. Changes have been since Monday 12 June 2017, so it is advised to check your flight status and times on the Qatar website.

What about my flight to a suspended destination?

If you are due to fly in the next few days, search for alternative routings and note them down.

24 hours before your scheduled departure time, contact your LOCAL QR office, and ask for their assistance. Advise them that you have found an alternative routing which you would be willing to accept and see if they will book it for you.

If you are due to fly more than 5 days from today, try and relax. Do not panic and please do not call QR as you are blocking the lines for those flying in the next 24 hours. At this stage, Qatar is only offering options to those who are traveling in the next 24 hours.

Currently, people in the thread have suggested that Qatar is rebooking on flights through Muscat, Kuwait, Amman, Istanbul, Mumbai, Beirut, Athens and Tunis.

You can only get a refund if your booking is to one of the destinations listed at the top! (The number of people asking QR on Twitter for a refund of other flights is amazing)

What about other airlines?

Most other carriers in and out of Doha are still operating except for Air Arabia, Air Arabia Egypt, Air Cairo, EgyptAir, Emirates, Etihad, FlyDubai, Rotana Jet and Saudia.

Most other carriers are using the new restricted routes into Doha although provided the aircraft is not registered in Qatar they are allowed to use the Saudi Arabia or Egypt Airspace.

Timeline of Events:

5 June 2017

- UAE, KSA, Bahrain and Egypt withdraw licenses and close airspace
- All MS flights between CAI and DOH was zeroed out
- All GF flights between BAH and DOH closed for sale
- All QR flights between DOH and CAI closed for sale
- All QR staff travel was canceled

6 June 2017

- Airspace Restriction came into effect at 00:00 (UTC)
- All QR flights between DOH and UAE/Bahrain/KSA closed for sale
- QR flights between DOH and MLE still bookable
- QR Charters 3 aircraft from Jeddah to Muscat

7 June 2017
- QR Charters an aircraft from Jeddah to Kuwait

8 June 2017
- Qatar Airways website blocked in the UAE
- Qatar Airways offices in the UAE, Saudi Arabia and Bahrain close

11 June 2017
- Second flight corridor added along the Saudi Arabia Coast

13 June 2017
- UAE Relaxes rules allowing non Qatari registered aircraft to use their airspace to/from Qatar but they are still not allowing flights between the UAE and Qatar from any operators.
- Egypt Relaxes rules allowing non Qatari registered aircraft to use their airspace to/from Qatar. The new rules also allow for non Qatar or Egypt registered aircraft to operate flights between the two countries.

14 June 2017
- Agreement between QR and BA/A3 on reticketing passengers (link below)

Further information:
- QR Travel Alert http://support.qatarairways.com/hc/e...bile_site=true
- QR FAQs http://support.qatarairways.com/hc/e...002369667-FAQs
- QR Charter flights arranged from Jeddah KSA to Muscat Oman http://support.qatarairways.com/hc/e...Muscat-to-Doha
- QR agreement with BA & A3 to reticket their flights http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...r-help-qr.html
- Political background and latest updates: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-40155829
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways - UAE, KSA, Bahrain and Egypt withdraw licenses and close airspace

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2017, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by remdk
nk15 when QR purchase flights from another carrier it is at the lowest possible price and thus a Ticket class that will not earn miles for Eurobonus (TK). In this situation you would need to retro claim miles for the original routing from the original carrier (QR).
QR re-booked me into D class on Turkish, DXB-IST-HEL.

According to the table linked below, this is the highest bracket of business class fare for miles earning.

http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in...k-hava-yollari
Old Jul 4, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by lucyjane
Yes I am going to Singapore, from Dubai, after spending a few days in Abu Dhabi (flying into Dubai). They do fly this route via Doha, as they fly from Heathrow to Dubai via Doha.

I am flying from Singapore back to LHR but this is a route that is not affected.
Ahh ... so you are on QR the entire way, you just had a round trip DOH-DXB in the middle. I think most of the posters here report that they are being rerouted on Oman Air when going from DOH to DXB. As others have stated, Etihad and Emirates are not alternatives since they don't fly to DOH currently. Alternatively, others are getting routed on BA from LHR to DXB.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by kkong42
QR re-booked me into D class on Turkish, DXB-IST-HEL.

According to the table linked below, this is the highest bracket of business class fare for miles earning.

http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in...k-hava-yollari
kkong42 you have a very valid point but what ticket class TK put you in is of no real importance here unless you can persuade TK to credit you. Your name was the passenger name but the 'owner' of the ticket was QR as with all such tickets. QR cannot be a member of Eurobonus, point earning at least
Therefore you cannot claim Eurobonus miles since it is not 'your' ticket! You have to retro claim for the original route from QR.
I seem to remember a post (about 600-700) on this thread where someone stated that they were told that they could not claim miles on the reroute flights (TK?) because it was a QR ticket.

I Admit that my explanation was a very simplified version because it would be a lot easier for everyone to understand than the more complex concept of ownership that lay behind it.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
kkong42 you have a very valid point but what ticket class TK put you in is of no real importance here unless you can persuade TK to credit you. Your name was the passenger name but the 'owner' of the ticket was QR as with all such tickets. QR cannot be a member of Eurobonus, point earning at least
Is that correct?

For example, if American rebooks me on United, I can give United my MileagePlus number and United will credit me. Obviously, that's much easier if I put give United my number before boarding. Did the poster give TK his frequent flier number or is he trying to get credit after the fact?
Old Jul 4, 2017, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Is that correct?
No. The ticket stock has nothing to do with miles earning. There are plenty of cases where an airline issues a ticket on its stock that includes other airlines which might not even be in the same alliance or a partner of the issuing airline. It doesn't preclude you from getting miles credit on that other airline.

Original Routing Credit is different from getting award miles on the airline you end up flying. IME you can usually get both. In the TK "D" class case, the poster can get the miles for any reward program that TK will credit D class to (by giving that reward program number to TK), plus can get the ORC on QR or equivalent oneworld member (by writing to QR).
Old Jul 4, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold
In my case, a lot of flights to CAI were sold out in C or Y less than 24 hours. At the end of our family vacation, I went to QR ticket counter on the 6th floor at BKK to reroute BKK-DOH-CAI original routing on QR J/F.

They first offered BKK-KWI-CAI with a long connection in KWI. I should probably have taken this one but I asked for other options. I asked about TK via IST, MEA via BEY, TG/AI via FCO but all flights were full. I asked if EgyptAir was an option and they said no. Oman Air via MCT was available but it was next day and we wanted to travel the same night so not to leave the airport. Anyhow, I asked about TG to FRA and LH to CAI and that was available. So the rerouting was on Thai A380 to FRA and LH to CAI.

After getting a 30 minute complimentary massage at Royal Orchid Spa, I hear an announcement that passengers on the TG 920 to FRA to contact the reception. They said the flight was canceled and will leave the next morning which meant I would miss the LH flight to CAI. To TG ticket counter. I inquired about options on EK and EH. While they preferred Star Alliance options, they did check the flights for me. But no flights were available on EK or EH. Only option to CAI was via EgyptAir FRA - CAI. They provided airport hotel. I received another 30 minutes massage in the morning and got to CAI long way.

So at the end, my CAI-DOH-BKK RT was flown as FCO-DOH-BKK on QR and BKK-FRA-CAI on TG and MS.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Therefore you cannot claim Eurobonus miles since it is not 'your' ticket! You have to retro claim for the original route from QR.
I seem to remember a post (about 600-700) on this thread where someone stated that they were told that they could not claim miles on the reroute flights (TK?) because it was a QR ticket.

I Admit that my explanation was a very simplified version because it would be a lot easier for everyone to understand than the more complex concept of ownership that lay behind it.
In the last six months both Turkish and Lufthansa have bought (expensive, last-minute) tickets for me on other carriers because operational disruptions. The replacement carriers (LH and BA, respectively) credited my Star and OW mileage accounts: no silliness about who the ticket belonged to.

I didn't claim miles from the original airlines. It would seem like an exercise in tackiness - though I didn't turn my nose up at an additional EUR600 compensation
Old Jul 5, 2017, 10:18 am

People were kind enough to answer my queries upthread, so I wanted to post as a datapoint that may be of use to someone.

I was to fly from Riyadh to Stockholm via Doha and back on Qatar Air. It was changed to a Turkish Air flight via Istanbul. I was able to have miles credited to my United account (I always fly whatever is most convenient for a given travel, so just credit miles to whichever makes sense of United/American/Delta), and they have posted for all four legs.

All-in-all, I feel like Qatar did right by me. I got where I needed to go when I needed to get there. My only regret is not taking the refund and rebooking myself on Turkish Air. I was personally not very impressed with their business class offering/lounge, so I think I'd have been better off just flying economy on them. Oh well, lessons learned for the future.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone for assuaging my concerns before. And good luck to everyone still awaiting resolution!
Old Jul 5, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Breaking on BBC News, restrictions to continue with the other nations accusing Qatar for not understanding the seriousness of the situation.

Qatar crisis: Restrictions to continue
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-40510508
Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: Emirates Gold, Delta Gold, Bonvoy Plat
So what's the "news" in this news? Even though ultimatum has expired (2nd time actually) no additional measures have been taken (so far).
Old Jul 5, 2017, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by navylad
Breaking on BBC News, restrictions to continue with the other nations accusing Qatar for not understanding the seriousness of the situation.

Originally Posted by Gringuito
So what's the "news" in this news? Even though ultimatum has expired (2nd time actually) no additional measures have been taken (so far).
As I understand it, Qatar is now on double secret probation.
(Animal House reference for the younger crowd.)
Old Jul 5, 2017, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by navylad

EK/DCB, EY/AUH and TK/IST are no longer on the US cabin-baggage-electronics blacklist. QR/DOH is still on that US blacklist. Saudia/RUH/JED is on track to be removed from that blacklist too. QR/DOH is not on track to be removed from that blacklist.

Double secret probation.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 4:44 pm

As a punishment for their clients they should do a double secret travel festival starting tomorrow!
Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:45 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
EK/DCB, EY/AUH and TK/IST are no longer on the US cabin-baggage-electronics blacklist. QR/DOH is still on that US blacklist. Saudia/RUH/JED is on track to be removed from that blacklist too. QR/DOH is not on track to be removed from that blacklist.

Double secret probation.
Reports are that QR has now been approved to permit electronics in the cabin. E.g., this Reuters report.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:00 am

Programs: SPG & Marriott Plat Privilege Club Plat
Qatar Airways removed from US laptop ban list

News Qatar1 hour ago

Qatar Airways removed from US laptop ban list

National carrier joins other Gulf airlines in allowing passengers to carry electronic devices on board to the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.