Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gifts for QR cabin crew

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2017, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Gifts for QR cabin crew

As flights tend to be relatively quiet from/to LHR to DOH these days, I now use Y more than J class on this route. As always, cabin crew are attentive and acknowledge Gold.

On Sunday, I travelled from DOH to LHR in J. The flight was fine.

I have always thought about buying the crew chocolates or sweets. I did so, but ended up not giving them - would I have made a fool of myself? Are they allowed to accept? Are there security restrictions?

I took home four large bags of chocolates which I will never eat!

I probably wouldn't do this for BA, whom I HAVE to use for European trips, because quite frankly, they are not interested in passengers.
Old May 26, 2017, 7:20 am

I did it in the past, exactly chocolate.
It was a flight on 1st january.
The crew was enthusiastic.
Old May 26, 2017, 7:39 am

Programs: QR Gold, BA silver
On CX the usual practice is to buy onboard duty free chocolate to the crew, which would be the safest option.

I have been wanting to do that but QR only sell brands which are not appropriate as a gift...
Old May 26, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: QRPC Silver, BA Silver
I always take a few bags of sweet/choc - the crew always accept and even once all made me a card which they all signed and wrote nice messages in for me thanking me.

99.9% of customers won't even thank them - so a little touch for them goes a hell of a long way, and they're so lovely they definitely deserve it!
Old May 26, 2017, 12:37 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
My QR crew friends love white-chocolate, so I take it on every flight!

M
Old May 26, 2017, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

White chocolate?

All noted. And coming their way!
Old May 26, 2017, 7:32 pm

I gave the crew boxes of chocolates on two recent long-haul legs. They certainly were appreciative. FAs not serving my cabin made it a point to come up and thank me.

Small gesture, big returns.
Old May 26, 2017, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I've rarely but occasionally given staff chocolate when service has been excellent.

To me the basic condition is to offer it at the end of the flight and not the beginning as this suggests a genuine thank you without expectation of favoritism as opposed to an attempt to 'buy' better service which I would personally consider inappropriate.
Old May 26, 2017, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
I once gave a box of chocolate to a crew on Jan 1. Every crew member on the flight stopped by my seat to thank me. Upon landing, the older couple seated behind me asked me for my autograph. "Why would you WANT my autograph??" We thought you were famous bc you got so much attention
Old May 26, 2017, 10:49 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
I don’t get it. Sure, I ALWAYS thank crew that have provided service above the norm & I have written to QR CS to praise a particular staffer. I would never consider buying them chocolates, or any other gifts though. I guess I would find it mildly awkward, to say the least. Not saying I have an issue with others doing exactly this (it is a “nice” thing to do I guess) but...a serious question.....why
Old May 27, 2017, 12:04 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
I've done it a few times for different airlines, QR included, and everyone so far has been very appreciative of it. Given I have friends who work for EK, QR, BA, LH, FR, EZY and EY (as well as others who previously worked for other airlines) and hearing about their horror stories, I can't help but think that a small gesture like some chocolates makes their job that little bit more satisfying, giving them peace of mind that not every passenger is a complete A-hole.
Old May 27, 2017, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Penguinmoon
I once gave a box of chocolate to a crew on Jan 1. Every crew member on the flight stopped by my seat to thank me. Upon landing, the older couple seated behind me asked me for my autograph. "Why would you WANT my autograph??" We thought you were famous bc you got so much attention

haha I genuinely laughed out loud.
Old May 27, 2017, 1:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
On my last EK flight from DXB to LHR the person in the seat next to me spotted a young lady giving chocolate to the stewardess welcoming guests.

She asked the FA later if this happens many times and she yes 'as its common practice for flight crew flying off duty to bring chocolate for their working colleagues'.

So they might think you are a Purser off duty but I guess they will still like it
Old May 27, 2017, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by NoY
I don’t get it. Sure, I ALWAYS thank crew that have provided service above the norm & I have written to QR CS to praise a particular staffer. I would never consider buying them chocolates, or any other gifts though. I guess I would find it mildly awkward, to say the least. Not saying I have an issue with others doing exactly this (it is a “nice” thing to do I guess) but...a serious question.....why
I share your view, but I'm a curmudgeon.

I'm mildly surprised cabin crew are allowed to accept sweets from strangers, the safety and security hazard seems obvious.

But even if crew were constrained to bin the chocs, it's good to learn good manners prevail and they thanks the donors.
Old May 27, 2017, 3:52 am

Programs: QRPC Silver, BA Silver
I would always give it at the beginning of the flight. At the end of the flight it's more than likely they'll just give whatever you gave them to the cleaning crew.

I certainly don't think it's ever been in any way awkward or seen as trying to buy extra service. That's a very sad state of affairs if that's how you look at it. It's simple human kindness, and believe me, they really do appreciate it. You don't have to buy expensive chocolate- I've never spent more than 5GBP!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.