Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Can I buy a QR J ticket and still get AA miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2017, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold Elite

I called the AA desk and got very confusing information.
If I buy a QR ticket in business class, is there any way I can get those miles traveled to add to my AA account?
Thanks in advance. No idea how to find out if the flights I want are a codeshare with AA.
MIA to JNB and return if that helps.
Old May 23, 2017, 1:47 pm

The QR flights you are looking at will have a booking class on each flight. It's usually a letter in parentheses. Using that code you can search on AA's website under "earn miles with partners" to see how many AA miles you'll get from that QR flight. Also you'll get bonus miles if you have AA status.
Old May 23, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
You can collect miles on QR flights irrespectively of whether the flights are booked under a QR- flight number, an AA flight number or a flight number of any other Oneworld member.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ines/qatar.jsp
Old May 23, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Yes you'll add your AA number to the reservation before checking in or give the check-in agent MIA your AA number to credit the flights to your AA account.

Be sure to check https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ines/qatar.jsp to find out what you'll be earning by the fare class of each segment.
Old May 23, 2017, 2:05 pm

sweetsleep you can earn AA miles on QR flights. To do so you need to add your AA membership number to the QR booking. If you do not do it while purchasing your tickets it can be done later using the Manage booking facility on the QR webpage.

To find how many AA Miles you will earn you need to use the AA mileage calculator.
Old May 23, 2017, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Thanks to all for the great replies and advice.
The biz class fare to JNB for my dates is really quite good-hate to use my award miles on AA for such a good deal when I can definitely use those miles for future travel with family.
Old May 23, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
I had to call AA to figure it out. For QR tickets, it's a bit odd as the elite qualifying dollars are based on distance flown and fare class. For our ticket in J, we are getting somewhere near $5000 elite dollars because of the formulas used. Basically, our one trip gets us enough qualifying miles and dollars for Gold elite with AA and about another $1000 spend and 4-5000 miles will get us Platinum status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.