Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Article - Why I disliked Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Class Lounge

Article - Why I disliked Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Class Lounge

Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:06 am

Programs: BA Gold
I thought I was going crazy thinking just that!

Recently the shower attendant (while inspecting the shower) asked me where I was from and bla bla bla. "Thinking to myself I am too tired for small talk, please leave"

Then he asked if I need anything else? Just a dental kit, I replied.
Then he said: I have hairgel and deodorant, you need? It woke me up for a second and I asked if these were new lounge amenities?

- No I bring them myself from outside, he said

So this guy is selling amenities now?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:09 am

Programs: QR Platinum
I agree with the author. Not only do I find Al Mourjan disappointing in itself but it bears no comparison with the old Premium Terminal, which was my favourite transfer point in the whole world. Furthermore, in the PT we had separate security and separate boarding -- and both were very civilized -- whereas in the new airport the security checkpoints and boarding procedures we have to go through are at best unpleasant if not borderline bedlam.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
The attendant first inspected the room to ensure that it was ready while I waited. He then asked if I wanted a dental kit (I did), and asked if there were enough towels for me. Yes, it was very slightly awkward, as it was apparent that he wanted a tip; but what a change from AA's "No, those are the towels you get" to "Do you have enough towels or would you like more, sir?"

I don't know what this guy's agenda is, but it was pretty obvious (at least to me) that he has one.
He's employed in that role, he's not a freelancer. His agenda is to follow his job description and keep that job.

OK, OK: human nature being what it is, I'm sure he's discovered some passengers will give him generous amounts of money for putting a little more effort into what he is employed to do. A bit like the waiter in my Austin hotel breakfast room, who follows me round the buffet trying to help me select items
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by FlightDetective
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the showers ....
So the total lack of ventilation isn't a problem for you? It appears that you are in the minority on this.

My main point in the article is that it is like a large hotel lobby, with very little in the way of amenities in the lounge proper. It is seating, seating, seating and that is almost all there is. It has no personality.
So it's just like a hotel lobby except that it has several separate options for eating. And it has showers with attendants. And magazines and newspapers. And relaxing rooms where one can catch a nap. Yup, just like a hotel lobby.

I do agree it is a world class facility, however it was not to my taste at all. Perhaps on a future visit I will be hungry and wish to eat and if that changes my perception I will write a follow up article to that effect.
Perhaps QR's goal was to offer different eating options and comfortable chairs and showers, etc., etc., etc., so that the lounge would satisfy a wide variety of travelers' needs. The fact that you didn't feel like eating doesn't mean that others feel the same way or that food options shouldn't be provided.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:52 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Well, not over enthusiastic that the person felt the need to tip five euro to the shower attendant. They are paid a salary to provide a service. Hard stop!
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
So the total lack of ventilation isn't a problem for you? It appears that you are in the minority on this.
It certainly wasn't a problem for me on my visit. If you'd like to try real lack of ventilation, try the Qantas International Business lounge showers in Auckland. Dreadful, dreadful, dreadful!

So it's just like a hotel lobby except that it has several separate options for eating. And it has showers with attendants. And magazines and newspapers. And relaxing rooms where one can catch a nap. Yup, just like a hotel lobby.
Yes, absolutely correct - just like a hotel lobby. A lobby tends to have the hotel bar and restaurant accessible directly or up some stairs. Sometimes there are spa facilities including showers that are off the lobby. It is not dissimilar at all, you know. I am glad you agree ^

Perhaps QR's goal was to offer different eating options and comfortable chairs and showers, etc., etc., etc., so that the lounge would satisfy a wide variety of travelers' needs. The fact that you didn't feel like eating doesn't mean that others feel the same way or that food options shouldn't be provided.
I completely agree with you. At the same time I am not the only person who finds the lounge to be just like a hotel lobby. Each experience is different and my opinion is no more or less relevant than yours or anyone else's. It's great to hear your opposing view - I do appreciate your time in responding.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:03 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
Not much to recommend that article - reads as if it was written just to have a point of difference and attract a few more clicks. Which is important in the blogosphere of course.

Attendants are expected by the majority of the demographic using the lounge and QR would be a laughing stock if they didn't have them. Primarily to keep things clean and tidy, flushed and mopped/scrubbed.

Personally what I am looking for in a lounge is to get away from the airport rush. Most of us spend enough time on planes that we don't need to see them from the lounge window as well.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Yes, absolutely correct - just like a hotel lobby. A lobby tends to have the hotel bar and restaurant accessible directly or up some stairs. Sometimes there are spa facilities including showers that are off the lobby. It is not dissimilar at all, you know. I am glad you agree ^
If Al Mourjan is like an hotel lobby, then basically all airline lounges are
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: DL GM, TK Elite+, ITA Executive, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver, Accor Plat
I found the shower attendants to be slightly annoying with the repeated "anything else you need?" - question, as pointed out by others before. The ventilation also is indeed a problem - although in fairness, I must say that I rarely come across really well ventilated shower rooms in lounges.
The one thing I really do not like about AM is the toilet attendants - on more than one occassion, they insisted on operating the soap dispenser bottle for me and giving me hand towels while attempting small talk (the "where are you from?" variety). Might be that this is the level of service expected in Qatar, but it feels so "me master, you slave" - cant stand that.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Overall, I love the lounge, my only two quibbles:

1) I find you often have to walk a long way to get to the restroom (due to the design of the middle seating area and fountain).

2) I would really just like some wine/champagne options out with the the coffee/water stations, rather than having to go to one of the restaurants to ask for a glass.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I still don't understand what the OP's got against hotel lobbies.

Come to that I haven't seen hotel lobbies with coffee stations, sandwich bars, showers and rest areas. I've probably lived far too quiet a life.

Though on hotel lobbies I've noticed many have become more Spartan, less comfortable for, well, lounging. The IC in Mexico City has a reception area characterised by severity and discomfort: perhaps to funnel you into the bar attached.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:36 pm

How oblivious about local culture do you need to be to end up tipping someone working in an airport lounge in the Middle East? I thought it was obvious that you don't, I guess it isn't for all people.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by mpkz
How oblivious about local culture do you need to be to end up tipping someone working in an airport lounge in the Middle East? I thought it was obvious that you don't, I guess it isn't for all people.
And 5 euros, too.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:37 pm

Programs: free agent
When i read the article, and i was like i'm glad that i am not alone who feel little creeped out by shower attendants. Yeah, similar experiences during my long layover in lounge. I had to show him "point out of door" gesture to get him leaving, so I can do my business.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mpkz
I guess it's difficult if you haven't spent much time in the region. There's a very clear idea of spreading your good fortune around, quite apart from, but perhaps coloured by, zakat, the giving of alms with is a principal Quranic obligation.

The spreading can be very thin, perhaps odd bits of change for lavatory attendants if you'e so minded; notes where there is real service elsewhere (or maybe special assistance of some kind...).

Inevitably $5 tips for nothing at all have something of a corrupting influence, raising expectations of foreigners' largesse, encouraging behaviour aims to trigger it. Perhaps blame this for over attentive helpers, rather than the attendants bthemselves: they're slaves to human nature

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.