Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: obduro
Summary
Qatar Airways have agreed to take four A350-900 aircraft on a dry lease basis from LATAM. The new aircraft will be re-registered to Qatar Airways. These aircraft are referred as "QATAM" due to the hybrid nature of the product (LATAM hard product, Qatar Airways service)

This thread will continue to be updated as further information emerges, and this wikipost will hopefully answer some Frequently Asked Questions.

A trip report from one of the first QATAM-operated flights can be found here - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports/1828024-munich-doha-qatam-jj-frame-qr-service-a350-j.html#post28008887

Rotation 1 – QR59 DOH – MUC and QR60 MUC - DOH
  • The first A359 to be transferred (PR-XTG) has been re-registered as A7-AMA and has been taken on a 1 year lease
  • The aircraft operates QR59 DOH – MUC and QR60 MUC – DOH, replacing the current QR A359 from March until an unspecified date in the future
  • A7-AMA entered revenue service on Wednesday 1 March 2017, operating QR59. Full entry to service took place on March 6th

Rotation 2 – QR57 DOH – MUC and QR58 MUC - DOH
  • The second aircraft (PR-XTF) will be re-registered as A7-AMB and has been taken on a six month lease
  • The aircraft will will fly the second MUC rotation (QR57 DOH – MUC and QR58 MUC – DOH), replacing the QR A359 from April 6th until an unspecified date in the future

Rotation 3 – QR149 DOH – MAD and QR150 MAD – DOH
  • The third aircraft (unspecified) will be re-registered at A7-AMC. The lease duration is unclear at this time
  • The aircraft is currently scheduled to start on the QR149 DOH – MAD and QR150 MAD – DOH rotations from Saturday 15th April, replacing the current QR B788
  • Entry to service has been delayed from April 1st so further equipment swaps are likely. Details are still emerging about this operation and this thread will be updated as more information becomes available

Rotation 4 – QR151 DOH – MAD and QR152 MAD - DOH
  • The fourth unspecified aircraft will be re-registered as A7-AMD and the lease duration is also unclear
  • The aircraft is scheduled to operate as QR151 DOH – MAD and QR152 MAD – DOH from May 1st, replacing the current QR B788
  • Entry to service has been delayed from April 15th so further equipment swaps are likely. Details are still emerging about this operation and this thread will be updated as more information becomes available

Seating advice - Business Class
  • The QATAM A359’s “Premium Business” cabin has 30 seats in a 2-2-2 layout (compared with QR’s 36 seat A350 J cabin). There is no second business class cabin behind door 2 like on the QR aircraft
  • The 2-2-2 configuration therefore means that not all seats have direct aisle access, which may be an annoyance to single travellers who wish to occupy a window seat
  • Both toilets are located at the front of the cabin, whereas they are located behind row 6 on the QR A369. This may be of annoyance to passengers in row 1 on the QATAM A359
  • The galley is also located ahead of row 1 and therefore may generate additional noise for those seated there
  • Unlike on the QR A359, row 1 seats are not blocked until check-in and are available to reserve for passengers immediately when the aircraft is assigned
  • AC power ports and USB ports are located at every seat
  • The window seats in row 5 have one less window than the other seats in the cabin
  • Window seat pairs in Rows 1 and 2 are not recommended as due to the curvature of the cabin they have less space than other equivalent seats further back in the aircraft
  • There is no onboard bar facility on the QATAM A359

Seating advice - Economy Class
  • The QATAM A359’s economy cabin has 318 seats in a 3-3-3 configuration, with 31” of seat pitch and 18” width. This is comparable with QR’s A359 seat dimensions, but the cabin is much smaller, holding 247 passengers
  • There are five (yes, five) toilets located in the middle of the aircraft, between rows 33/34 and 35/36. This may be of annoyance to passengers in the area, and given the location next to door 3 people may congregate in the area between these rows
  • A sixth toilet is located behind seats 50ABC and directly to the left of 51D. This may again be of annoyance
  • The galley is located to the rear of the aircraft
  • AC power ports are located between the seats and therefore two power outlets are divided between each set of three seats. USB ports are located at each seat at the bottom of the seat back IFE monitor
  • The QATAM aircraft appears to have kept LATAM Economy+ seating that features extra leg room, at least in the short term, but it is not possible to select these seats. They are located in Row 15 (not included on the seatmap for QATAM operated flights) and both Rows 35 and 36 (blocked for selection on the seatmap)

A detailed seat map for the aircraft can be found at this link - https://www.latam.com/pt_br/conheca-nos/sobre-nos/nossa-frota/A350/
Print Wikipost

QR leasing LATAM A350s

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2017, 3:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by obduro

Thirdly A7-AMC will start operations as QR149 and QR150 on the MAD – DOH route from April 1st
msm2000uk's wise words notwithstanding I had extolled the virtues of QR's J 359 seats and cabin layout to my daughter and son-in-law when booking them a MAD-DOH-MNL-DOH-MAD itinerary (including QR150 and QR149) last month for travel this coming July. Such is life.

Any feedback (seats, service) based on first-hand experience of the replacement J cabin would be appreciated.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 5:42 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
It's not the end of the world. The seats will be similar (although not the same) to the 777s.

i am assuming the IFE can be uploaded with Qatars content rather than asking passengers to endure South America epic dramas.

Similarly, if crew and food are Qatar, than other than the seats - which admittedly are inferior to 1-2-1s, is the only thjng which is different from current QR product.

could be worse, you pay for Qatar and end up with Air Arabia!
Old Feb 18, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Originally Posted by d3vski
It's not the end of the world. The seats will be similar (although not the same) to the 777s.

i am assuming the IFE can be uploaded with Qatars content rather than asking passengers to endure South America epic dramas.

Similarly, if crew and food are Qatar, than other than the seats - which admittedly are inferior to 1-2-1s, is the only thjng which is different from current QR product.

could be worse, you pay for Qatar and end up with Air Arabia!
Could be worse, you could get a reflagged Al Maha business class seat
Old Feb 18, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
msm2000uk's wise words notwithstanding I had extolled the virtues of QR's J 359 seats and cabin layout to my daughter and son-in-law when booking them a MAD-DOH-MNL-DOH-MAD itinerary (including QR150 and QR149) last month for travel this coming July. Such is life.

Any feedback (seats, service) based on first-hand experience of the replacement J cabin would be appreciated.
As things stand, I think I'm one of the first to travel on this aircraft with QR (8th March). If anyone else has something booked sooner do post and let everyone know, but I intend to do quite a detailed trip report and post during my layover in DOH.

Are there any particular questions people would like answered on top of this?
Old Feb 18, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
The first rule of flying with QR - PICK THE TIMINGS AND PRICE YOU WANT, OVER THE AIRCRAFT TYPE.

As has been pointed out in the thread, the A350 has been heavily delayed in its deliveries to all airlines (not just QR).

As such, the swaps on A350 routes have been regular.
Of course this is always a valid point, but IMHO it's a bit different to swapping for a QR A330/777 as (1) LATAM A350s were never previously used as frames on QR routes, so people couldn't reasonably expect this (2) It's a completely different (albeit newer 2-2-2) hard product to other QR frames, and (3) this hasn't been communicated in any way to those who have already booked (as it still correctly shows as A350).

That being said, I do agree that it's not really reasonable to expect refunds etc. because of something like this.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 1:34 pm

AeroNews.ro are reporting that the aircraft will carry a hybrid LATAM/QR livery as it will take too long to completely repaint them.

http://aeronews.ro/patru-airbus-uri-...s/&prev=search
Old Feb 18, 2017, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
All QR bookings carry a sense of adventure in them.

No matter the aircraft, I believe it is still one of the better ways to get somewhere.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by henkybaby
All QR bookings carry a sense of adventure in them.

No matter the aircraft, I believe it is still one of the better ways to get somewhere.
Absolutely!
Old Feb 19, 2017, 7:15 am

And the QR A350 that are currently flying to those destinations? where are going to fly to? Any clue?
Old Feb 19, 2017, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by 343
And the QR A350 that are currently flying to those destinations? where are going to fly to? Any clue?
They may not be going onto another route. If the story of the A350s having the new J seat is true, the LATAM A350s will give enough capacity to take four our of service at a time for retrofits.

The other hearsay story I read is that at least one could be used on the CDG - DOH route but haven't seen any route updates to suggest this.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 7:46 am

Bit of a complex conversation with QR today - spent about 10 minutes persuading the agent that it wasn't a QR aircraft on my MUC - DOH leg!

Eventually after some time on hold the agent said on board would be QR service and that only the seat should differ, without fully confirming there will be a QR crew on board.

As I said earlier I'll be flying the route in 17 days so will report back then if someone hasn't done so already. We should come up with some sort of name for this hybrid service...QATAM? LATAR?
Old Feb 19, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by obduro
They may not be going onto another route. If the story of the A350s having the new J seat is true, the LATAM A350s will give enough capacity to take four our of service at a time for retrofits.
I doubt that they will pull out any A350 right now: These aircrafts have a good hard product and QR is increasing use of them on other routes (e.g. DOH-BRU). If anything they are going to shift the QR A350 from the routes, where the LATAM A350 will be used, to 777 routes, which would allow them to install the new C on these aircrafts.

But AFAIK, QR is having troubles getting their QR 350 and hence renting some from LATAM, that has troubles due to lower demand to/from Brasil.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by WorldLux
...hence renting some from LATAM, that has troubles due to lower demand to/from Brasil.
That answers my thought as to why LATAM would be leasing out their newest aircraft.

The seat looks like it's probably better than the QR A330 though, so if the food and service is the usual QR level then these swaps should be better than getting one of those
Old Feb 19, 2017, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by WorldLux
But AFAIK, QR is having troubles getting their QR 350 and hence renting some from LATAM, that has troubles due to lower demand to/from Brasil.
QR have 14 A350 (A359 and A350-100) frames in TLS at the moment, so any aircraft shortage issue would be a lot shorter term than previously. The LATAM point is a valid one too.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Johnnieboy
That answers my thought as to why LATAM would be leasing out their newest aircraft.

The seat looks like it's probably better than the QR A330 though, so if the food and service is the usual QR level then these swaps should be better than getting one of those
Reviews are quite limited of the LATAM A350 (wasn't sure if the TAM A350 seat is the same, seems it is) but they seem positive generally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.