Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading in DOH

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2017, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Upgrading in DOH

Afternoon all

After a 35 minute wait to speak to a human, I had an "interesting" 30 minute back and forth with an agent about upgrading one leg of a flight to F. MUC-DOH-SYD booking all in J

During this time I was told:
  • I can't upgrade one leg, I have to upgrade all legs on the booking in both directions
  • Are you sure I can't just upgrade in one direction? Get put on hold.
  • Comes back, says yes can upgrade in one direction but I have to upgrade all legs. I explain that I am in J already and there is no F cabin on the first leg of my journey. Hitting a brick wall at this point.
  • I take a different approach - knowing F is only available on the A380 leg, I ask if he could upgrade all legs in one direction and give me the cost for this, he went away and then came back saying F was only on the second leg of the journey. I said OK, on hold again.
  • Agent comes back and says the system "will not let him process" the booking in this way and I cannot upgrade at all prior to the journey, other than in Doha.
  • I explain, I am not a PC member, the website states that you can only upgrade with miles/points and I am looking for a cash upgrade. On hold again.
  • Agent comes back and says that I can 100% upgrade with cash in Doha, and had this confirmed by supervisor.

I am sceptical about all of this. Am I correct in thinking I cannot upgrade with cash in Doha? And similarly how do I get hold of someone who can simply tell me the fare difference to upgrade the one leg to F? I assume this is possible and he just didn't know how to do it?
Old Jan 20, 2017, 7:44 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Gold
I am looking to do a similar thing, upgrading single leg of a VCE-DOH-BKK-DOH-VCE booking from J to F but as of yet have spent 2 x 40 minutes on hold and havent even gotten as far as you!
Can you please report back as to how succesful you are and the requested amount for the upgrade?
TIA
CB
Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: QR Platinum
You can definitely do this either at the transfer desk or at the lounge, BUT if I were you I'd try to call again and try to talk to someone more proficient with the matter.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: QR Platinum OWE, LH SEN
The agent is right in one point, they can not process the upgrade on the phone, because you would need to upgrade both legs, which is not possible due to the lack of F on your first leg. The agents on the phone can not see a price or do anything to help you.

You can however upgrade a single leg on the phone if you use Qmiles/Qcredits (have done this successfully on both routes mentioned above). So there is no chance on the phone with cash. Good luck in Doha though, I would recommend planning plenty of time and keeping cool until they find a responsible person who is willing to help...
Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: Qatar Platinum
Im trying to purchase a ticket for BKK-DOH-MAD. BKK-DOH in F on the A380 and DOH-MAD in J on 787. They tell me it isnt possible. Earlier on the QR website an F + J fare used to be shown for the same route, now even that doesn't come up. Any ideas? Wierd that one cant purchase a paid ticket on F! Do you think I should try the QR office?
Old Jan 21, 2017, 3:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Originally Posted by David_DLI
You can definitely do this either at the transfer desk or at the lounge, BUT if I were you I'd try to call again and try to talk to someone more proficient with the matter.
With cash? Seems the QR website and this forum say it's only possible to upgrade at DOH with miles - has anyone actually paid cash for an upgrade in DOH?

I will be calling back definitely - they were able to give me a price for the fare difference previously.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jgp777
Im trying to purchase a ticket for BKK-DOH-MAD. BKK-DOH in F on the A380 and DOH-MAD in J on 787. They tell me it isnt possible. Earlier on the QR website an F + J fare used to be shown for the same route, now even that doesn't come up. Any ideas? Wierd that one cant purchase a paid ticket on F! Do you think I should try the QR office?
It is strange, I was definitely able to price a similar fare for my journey before but as you say it only shows J fares now. Odd!
Old Jan 21, 2017, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dschaimz
The agent is right in one point, they can not process the upgrade on the phone, because you would need to upgrade both legs, which is not possible due to the lack of F on your first leg. The agents on the phone can not see a price or do anything to help you.

You can however upgrade a single leg on the phone if you use Qmiles/Qcredits (have done this successfully on both routes mentioned above). So there is no chance on the phone with cash. Good luck in Doha though, I would recommend planning plenty of time and keeping cool until they find a responsible person who is willing to help...
I don't have miles with the QR scheme so it's not an option for me unfortunately. They were also able to give me a price on the phone previously when I asked about upgrading one leg.

I would look at buying QMiles and upgrading as an option but (1) I think you have to earn a mile or two first before you can use it to upgrade, (2) the availability issue and (3) would I then be able to credit the flight to BAEC for TP and Avios after upgrading with QR? Not likely!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.